First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2018 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Tried the Green Mountain Trail yesterday and it was closed. Apparently Saturdays and Sundays only. I was using the Bronco Trail App to find it but don’t see anywhere listed about the odd hours, not sure if missed it or not there. Is there a better app or does anyone here have a recommended trail for a newbie? I’m in Tacoma

I’d love something with a nice view or something interesting to see. Thanks in advance.

OregonMike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nice, what exit do I take off 26? I am from Tigard.
Not really an "exit", but you turn left onto E Lolo Pass Road just past the Zigzag Mountain Cafe, a little ways past the light in Welches.

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went to the La Dee Flats OHV park yesterday. It’s just south of Estacada, Oregon off Hwy 224. Could only access one trail but it was still fun. They were still mopping up a wildfire that had shut down the area.

OregonMike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I went to the La Dee Flats OHV park yesterday. It’s just south of Estacada, Oregon off Hwy 224. Could only access one trail but it was still fun. They were still mopping up a wildfire that had shut down the area.

Nice! Looks a lot more interesting than Trail 802, haha. Might have to get back out there sometime soon.

Sponsored

OregonMike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What was 802 like?
Not really interesting, what I drove of it. Mostly flat, a few mud pits that we avoided (still had the OEM tires and was just out exploring with the wife, so we didn't do anything that might've put us in a position to need any help). There were a couple nice views of the valley and whatnot, but we didn't take it all the way.
Last time I was out there with @WillRCTID we didn't do any of the trails, but we drove out Abbott Road about as far as the snow would let us. We had a look at 803 but decided not to give it a go.

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not really interesting, what I drove of it. Mostly flat, a few mud pits that we avoided (still had the OEM tires and was just out exploring with the wife, so we didn't do anything that might've put us in a position to need any help). There were a couple nice views of the valley and whatnot, but we didn't take it all the way.
Last time I was out there with @WillRCTID we didn't do any of the trails, but we drove out Abbott Road about as far as the snow would let us. We had a look at 803 but decided not to give it a go.
Hmmm. Mud would definitely up the difficulty rating. Some of the bumps looked like you might high center and being my first time out there I avoided some and did others. Next time I’ll probably just take all the hard parts on. Especially if I’m there with someone who can pull me out of a mess or if I have a winch by then. I’m also going to try the rock mound. It looks intimidating but it’s not really that bad.

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did 800 again and then 802.

I agree with your assessment that’s it’s mostly flat and aside from the view not a challenge.The first 25 yrds are pretty sketchy. There was a deep rut that had you keeled over to the right. I was holding onto the passenger seat. And a big stump wanting to bash in your right side. Once you get past that it’s just a gravel road but with a great view of the Clackamas River Valley.

Ford Bronco Best PNW Trails for our Broncos? dji_fly_20230729_134922_945_1690664103358_photo
Ford Bronco Best PNW Trails for our Broncos? dji_fly_20230729_135208_949_1690664093909_photo
Ford Bronco Best PNW Trails for our Broncos? dji_fly_20230729_135356_951_1690664090003_photo

I encourage you to do 800. It’s completely the opposite of 802. Your Bronco will get a good workout. If you don’t have belly pans you’ll need to pick your lines carefully.

OregonMike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I did 800 again and then 802.

I agree with your assessment that’s it’s mostly flat and aside from the view not a challenge.The first 25 yrds are pretty sketchy. There was a deep rut that had you keeled over to the right. I was holding onto the passenger seat. And a big stump wanting to bash in your right side. Once you get past that it’s just a gravel road but with a great view of the Clackamas River Valley.

Ford Bronco Best PNW Trails for our Broncos? dji_fly_20230729_135356_951_1690664090003_photo

I encourage you to do 800. It’s completely the opposite of 802. Your Bronco will get a good workout. If you don’t have belly pans you’ll need to pick your lines carefully.
Great shots!
Yeah, no mods here aside from the tires, so careful is my game. We might go back out there before fall, so we'll check out 800.

Which end of 802 did you start on? North or south of the staging area?

Sponsored
OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great shots!
Yeah, no mods here aside from the tires, so careful is my game. We might go back out there before fall, so we'll check out 800.

Which end of 802 did you start on? North or south of the staging area?
Started at Staging, 800 begins there. Came out if 800 and turned left, then right to 802. So north.

OregonMike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Started at Staging, 800 begins there. Came out if 800 and turned left, then right to 802. So north.
Cool. Yeah, when I did it solo, we took the south entry and turned around after we found a little spot to loop around.

Gotta say, the drive on Saturday out in Gifford Pinchot NF (NF-41 to 43 from Sunset Falls CG, see my post here: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/gifford-pinchot-national-forest-wa.78489/) was pretty great. Nothing overly challenging, but gorgeous views and a lot of work for the suspension through the first part of the drive from all the large potholes.

OregonMike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Probably safe to add University Firepower and Cedar Tree trails in Tillamook State Forest to this thread, now that a handful of us have just done them. Both are 'curated' trails on the Bronco Trail App (if you haven't given up on that thing 🤣 ). University Firepower will take you to the Cedar Tree trailhead, so doing them both in the same outing is easy. They're great fun, probably a bit dicey in spots when wet, though. If you like it tight and turny with some optional obstacles, they're worth a look. There are a ton of gravel roads and other 4x4 trails in that area, so we might do some more exploring out there again.

OregonMike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Add Bennett Pass Road (AKA Forest Road 3550) to the list for a nice one that's close to the Portland Metro Area. Nothing very challenging, but a lot of long rocky sections. There are a handful of shelf road sections with scree fields above and/or below, some of them get pretty narrow. OnX has this as a 6/10 because of the exposure, Bronco Trail App lists it as 3-Difficult for the same reason.
Here's part of that section as of Saturday 9/23:
Ford Bronco Best PNW Trails for our Broncos? IMG_1522.JPG

It was a little more narrow in a couple spots, but for very short distances.

Lots of great views of Mt. Hood to the west and Badger Lake to the east. I posted more pics here: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/big-bend-badlands-bennett-pass.82008/

The Bronco Trail App has this as an out-and-back, turning around at Gunsight Trailhead, but you can continue on with it to Lookout Mountain Rd to NF-44 and back to Highway 35. Easy morning jaunt, only took us 2 hours and change from the Bennett Pass sno-park.

OregonMike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you're looking for trails with views, you could do a lot worse than the Nicolai Mountain Loop that @swooshdave and I did this past weekend. It's a curated trail in the Bronco Trail App. Awesome views of Mt. Hood, St. Helens, Rainier, and Adams at various points, if you go on a clear day.

Not a huge challenge for the Broncos, almost entirely dirt/gravel logging roads, nothing interesting aside from 2 sections. The final climb up to Nicolai Mtn. was a decent section of bumpy, rocky, tree-rooty business with one fairly tight turn; I think I saw inclines between 10° and 15° for most of it. The descending route had a couple interesting spots including a fairly narrow spot between tree stumps and one kinda gnarly descending turn that I could imagine those with front cameras would be super happy to have them. After that, there was a longer descent that wasn't very steep but had some rocky bits that needed at least a little attention paid to wheel placement. That bit was a good place to turn on Trail Control, set it to like 4 or 5 mph and relax a bit. 😄

Dave's post: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/nicolai-mountain-ohv-trail.85100/
Sponsored