Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What some of your favorite trails you've taken your Bronco on? How challenging were they? Was it worth the drive?
Sponsored

tobyw

Wildtrak
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've had ours all over the Naches and Ahtanum areas, and the challenge level is very low on anything therein with the exception of some rocky play areas around Funny Rocks and Moon Rocks. As far as it being worth the drive, for me it's a yes because I enjoy putting around in the woods but if you're an adrenaline junky looking for hardcore wheeling, then no.

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had ours all over the Naches and Ahtanum areas, and the challenge level is very low on anything therein with the exception of some rocky play areas around Funny Rocks and Moon Rocks. As far as it being worth the drive, for me it's a yes because I enjoy putting around in the woods but if you're an adrenaline junky looking for hardcore wheeling, then no.
Are there actually medium to difficult rockcrawling areas in OR/WA?

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

trailsoffroad.com is a great resource, I would say that trail rating are subjective and depend on the vehicle and driver experience, for example an moderate trail (orange) can be either easy (green) or Difficult (red). The ratings are also for dry conditions which we don't have a lot of in this area. Most trails are snowed in right now, snow wheeling is also great fun!

Most of the trails are more dirt/mud, tree roots and tight. There are some rocks but not constant rock crawling. There is plenty of challenge, it just depends on what you are looking for. I consider section 1 of the Naches Trail (from the West end to FR 7068) decently challenging, particularly if you have a vehicle where the tires don't stick out side the body. I have not run it in my Bronco yet and I am guessing it will be much easier than my Tacoma. The middle sections of the Naches trail are great for new drivers with a reasonably equipped stock vehicle.

Ford Bronco Best PNW Trails for our Broncos? 1672936544625

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

trailsoffroad.com is a great resource, I would say that trail rating are subjective and depend on the vehicle and driver experience, for example an moderate trail (orange) can be either easy (green) or Difficult (red). The ratings are also for dry conditions which we don't have a lot of in this area. Most trails are snowed in right now, snow wheeling is also great fun!

Most of the trails are more dirt/mud, tree roots and tight. There are some rocks but not constant rock crawling. There is plenty of challenge, it just depends on what you are looking for. I consider section 1 of the Naches Trail (from the West end to FR 7068) decently challenging, particularly if you have a vehicle where the tires don't stick out side the body. I have not run it in my Bronco yet and I am guessing it will be much easier than my Tacoma. The middle sections of the Naches trail are great for new drivers with a reasonably equipped stock vehicle.

Ford Bronco Best PNW Trails for our Broncos? 1672936544625
I'm guessing tight is going to be challenging with a wide vehicle like the Bronco?

Sponsored

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bronco really isn't that wide as people make it out to be compared to many Jeeps on the trails. A JL on 35" has about the same outside width. The Bronco body is larger so we have less margin, however a solid axel gets wider when it flexes, where as independent suspension get narrower as it droops. If you had a long and wide vehicle like and F150 Raptor that's a different story.

This is from one of my jeep friends when I was considering getting the Bronco and concerned about the width.

"I have 37 12.5 17. Running factory width axles. With oversized knuckles. 5 inch backspacing on my wheels. I'm 83 inches wide from tire to tire. 81 rim face. I'm going to 40 13.5 17 in spring. I will be 85 wide. You will love it. There is only one trail that I know of that I can't drive on. 80 inches is a great spot to be."

Here is a chart I made when I was deciding if width would be an issue with the Bronco.

Ford Bronco Best PNW Trails for our Broncos? 1672939474337

Last edited:

WillRCTID

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Prius, 1973 F100, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've done a couple of really light trails since I got mine in September.

This is Lolo Pass Road off highway 26 in Oregon. From 26, it climbs steeply and becomes a forest service road. Typically an easy drive, but made more difficult with the snow. We got a few miles in where a washout stopped us from going any farther. The plan was to go all the way to Hood River, spotting campsites along the way, and a side trip to the top of Mt Defiance. Will definitely try this again when it thaws out up there.
Ford Bronco Best PNW Trails for our Broncos? F52810EC-CA82-4827-9F0B-5522A22FA2BD

This is inside the Gifford Pinchot National Forest just east of Moulton WA. We took NE Dole Valley Road to forest road L-1100 (or DNR-1100)to NF-4109. The first road was a well graded gravel road with small pot holes. Once into the national forest it was considerably slower going, with mud at first, then gigantic potholes filled with a mix of mud and water. Some could have been called very small ponds.
Ford Bronco Best PNW Trails for our Broncos? E855C2CD-BBDC-4783-8935-7D84231DD9CB

in this picture, Red is Moulton WA, Green is where NE Dole Valley meets L-1100, and the blue trail is the route we took into the national forest.
Ford Bronco Best PNW Trails for our Broncos? 62165630-26F4-4308-A368-C62F7B31E033

I try to post to Instagram (@pnw.bronco) before I do any trails. Will try to remember to post here too in case anyone wants to join.

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've done a couple of really light trails since I got mine in September.

This is Lolo Pass Road off highway 26 in Oregon. From 26, it climbs steeply and becomes a forest service road. Typically an easy drive, but made more difficult with the snow. We got a few miles in where a washout stopped us from going any farther. The plan was to go all the way to Hood River, spotting campsites along the way, and a side trip to the top of Mt Defiance. Will definitely try this again when it thaws out up there.
Ford Bronco Best PNW Trails for our Broncos? 62165630-26F4-4308-A368-C62F7B31E033

This is inside the Gifford Pinchot National Forest just east of Moulton WA. We took NE Dole Valley Road to forest road L-1100 (or DNR-1100)to NF-4109. The first road was a well graded gravel road with small pot holes. Once into the national forest it was considerably slower going, with mud at first, then gigantic potholes filled with a mix of mud and water. Some could have been called very small ponds.

in this picture, Red is Moulton WA, Green is where NE Dole Valley meets L-1100, and the blue trail is the route we took into the national forest.

I try to post to Instagram (@pnw.bronco) before I do any trails. Will try to remember to post here too in case anyone wants to join.
Following on IG now.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

tobyw

Wildtrak
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Are there actually medium to difficult rockcrawling areas in OR/WA?
Hit up the Tillamook Forest, that's right in your back yard. I'm ready to go back this spring maybe.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/3-badlands-earn-a-boh-at-tillamook-forest.41593/

If you want to go north a few hours, Elbe was a lot of fun and plenty for a Bronco to do.
Tricky beat me to it... Elbe and TSF are probably the two most notable, with a few additional areas around Bend that have some pretty gnarly terrain. Walker Valley and Evans Creek up near Seattle and Tacoma respectively also offer some more challenges than your typical forest service two track. In comparison to places like Utah, Arizona and Colorado our options are pretty limited...

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tricky beat me to it... Elbe and TSF are probably the two most notable, with a few additional areas around Bend that have some pretty gnarly terrain. Walker Valley and Evans Creek up near Seattle and Tacoma respectively also offer some more challenges than your typical forest service two track. In comparison to places like Utah, Arizona and Colorado our options are pretty limited...
I'm planning on a Moab trip in June. Want to get a little practice before then. I'm not expecting Devil's Gate...

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm planning on a Moab trip in June. Want to get a little practice before then. I'm not expecting Devil's Gate...
I think you mean May 2-6 right?

OP
OP
swooshdave

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But May 20th is the big PNW Bronco meet-up in Moab.

Gotta skip those big Jeep weekends, ya know!
June. Sadly I will miss those other events.
Sponsored