First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just eeked out over 20 mpg in my 4dr, 2.7 Sasquatch on stock Goodyears. I wasn’t trying, but after getting a speeding ticket at the start of the drive home I stayed within 5-8mph. When you combine it with adaptive cruise it makes the trip was less stressful.

Ford Bronco Best speed for MPG performance? 20230514_152843
Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just drove 700 miles from San Diego to Vegas and back. Cruise was set to 77 and I ended at 20.8 mpg. There were plenty of times I kicked it up to 85 to overtake people parked in the fast lane so I’m satisfied with that relative fuel efficiency to time/speed ratio. I found that keeping it in normal mode was more efficient than eco on the hwy. This is in a 2.7 2-door badlands running premium fuel for reference sake.
I find that Premium fuel adds 1-2 mpg to the vehicle.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a base 2DR with V6, 3.73 diff and 10-speed auto. I also installed OBX 32" tires instead of the stock 30s.

I have a high of about 24.5 (calculated) in north California freeway at about 62 MPH (66 calculated with the larger tires). At 64 on the speedo (calculated as 68.27 actual) I can easily get 23 (calculated).

50/50 split between highway and city... I get about 20-21.

Seems like at 70-72 (calculated) I get about 22.5 MPG.
I would think that the OBX 18" wheels & tires would be an excellent upgrade for a Base!

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes. I'm quite pleased with OBX wheels and tires.

Got them for a good price, added some Schrader TPMS via America's Tires, and they perform quite nicely. Since 3.73 diff was the standard option for the 18s/32s... I figured they'd work without a hitch. They have done so.

Never tried using Forscan to change the tire size, just realized at 65 on the speedo I'm going about 68.

JZZ

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Alot of variables here I’m a 2dr w 2.3 AT and 4.27 rear got 22mpg all day long (real math) and a high of 26 on MD eastern shore which is flat as ya get on stock tires. Have since changed to M/T 255/85/17 34.5” seems to stay 19 to 20 range real math but if your always in the boost mileage will suffer significantly and hills/mountains will force this bottom line easy on the throttle and let the transmission do the work and on the freeway ACC is nice but you will get better gas mileage by learning to lift and for the record I see bo difference between eco or normal
Ford Bronco Best speed for MPG performance? IMG_5252
Ford Bronco Best speed for MPG performance? IMG_5649

Sponsored

Bluestreak57

Outer Banks
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco, OBX SaS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Recent trip to Moab from Western Washington… lots of passes, lots of miles at 75-80mph

IMG_1472.jpeg

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Best mpg you can get going to Florida is pit the Bronco and yourself on the autotrain

But my advice is forget about mpg since to try and travel on I tersystes at less than 81-85 mph invites disaster
I'm really curious how a sasquatch on 33s would look and perform. I want the lift and ability to run 35s but I feel like for the first few years of ownership 33s would be more than enough for me. A nice sweet spot of efficiency and capability for light 4 wheeling and snow driving.

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Driving the freeways of California if I'm doing 65 in the slow lane I still get passed on the right lol

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm really curious how a sasquatch on 33s would look and perform. I want the lift and ability to run 35s but I feel like for the first few years of ownership 33s would be more than enough for me. A nice sweet spot of efficiency and capability for light 4 wheeling and snow driving.
I plan on doing just this if Ford ever builds my order. swapping the Sasquatch wheels and tires for 33s on BB takeoffs. I wanted the lift and more robust front end. I have yet to see pictures of anyone doing this yet tho.

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This. I can get 20+ mpg on long distance trips just driving and that includes speeds up to 80 mph. This has been going from Southern CA to Central CA or to Vegas and both have big grades along the way.

I have also been in some 30+ mph sustained head winds with 60 mph gusts, even going 60 mph it was absolutely ridiculous. I was pulling a constant 10+ psi of boost just to sustain that speed in 5th. You can guess how bad my mileage was that day. Went from 22 mpg to...... 13 mpg....

Your pedal habits will dictate biggest factors in mileage that you can change
Yes the brick like aerodynamics are mpg killers

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I live in FL and my work commute is 30 miles each way, speeds 45-55 MPH with a few stops. I average 22.4 in my 2 door Sas with 2.7. 45-55 MPH will yield the best MPG. I can go up to about 65 and still get close to this MPG. Anything after that it goes down hill. I won't drive it past 70. And I drive very light footed to get this MPG and coast to the lights, no rapid braking.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I live in FL and my work commute is 30 miles each way, speeds 45-55 MPH with a few stops. I average 22.4 in my 2 door Sas with 2.7. 45-55 MPH will yield the best MPG. I can go up to about 65 and still get close to this MPG. Anything after that it goes down hill. I won't drive it past 70. And I drive very light footed to get this MPG and coast to the lights, no rapid braking.
Same, except 4dr nonsas. Commute is 45-60 with few stops. 22+ mpg consistently

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m getting ready to take a trip to Florida for a week, ~1000 miles, mostly flat. What should I set cruise to to maximize MPG? I’ll be hopefully going to Texas Offrodeo later in year, ~2000 mile round trip, will be using this first trip to set expectations.
As others have said, the Bronco "brick" mpg can get killed as speed increases, I'd stay under 70mph at least. Will you be off-roading in Florida or have some use for the key functionalities? If not I'd use your economy car (if you have one) for that trip. There is no part of me that would rather drive my hopped up 4x4 1000 highway miles compared to my household economy car, which cruises at high speed no problem, quiet and sipping fuel.

New2This

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m getting ready to take a trip to Florida for a week, ~1000 miles, mostly flat. What should I set cruise to to maximize MPG? I’ll be hopefully going to Texas Offrodeo later in year, ~2000 mile round trip, will be using this first trip to set expectations.

Ive got a badlands 2.7 sas. I agree with what most ppl have said.

on a trip from dallas to Austin (~3hrs) I started around 18.5 and by the time I got to austin using lane keeping and adaptive cruise I had 16.5.

The things that sap MPG:
-mud tires (if you inflate to the factory recommended 39-41, you get a little better MPG, less rolling resistance),
-aerodynamics: this car is a flying brick, agree that there is a big change above 60-65mph. you can feel the wind resistance. On long stretches, I pulled up the gauge screen and at 75mph on a long flat highway there is continuous turbo activation 6-9PSI. I'm not a gear head/engineer, but this tells me the engine is working hard to maintain speed
-lower octane fuel. probably very modest effect. I use 93 most of the time. it gets you a few extra horse power. I'm a light foot on the pedal anyway, but I think this lets me be a little lighter.
- how much stuff you are hauling: duh
- Eco vs normal. I don't notice much of a difference in terms of MPG

all that said, I love the car and it did great on the highway.

offroadeo Texas was great. you should also stop at the hidden falls OHV ~30minutes away. fantastic park with tons of long trails, even the "easy" trail was fun with the family.

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I get 14.5 no matter what i do. I live in farm country so no stop lights but mileage and range still suck. I know it's a flying brick....
Sponsored