Bestop Sun Rider?

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350/2024 Bronco Big Bend (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a 2-door big bend with a hard top on order. I am a bit nervous about what I'm going to experience with the hard top.
Speaking of Third party vendors, I found a video for BESTOP's Sunrider product.
I am wondering if this would resolve some of the issues with the hard top noise, at least coming from the two front removable panels? It's seems like a great idea for easy access to the top down and really good reviews. Anyone have experience with this?

https://www.bestop.com/products/sunrider-for-hardtop-ford-2021-2023-bronco-2021-2023-bronco-raptor/
Sponsored

Farmerjim47933

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 2-door big bend with a hard top on order. I am a bit nervous about what I'm going to experience with the hard top.
I am wondering if this would resolve some of the issues with the hard top noise, at least coming from the two front removable panels? It's seems like a great idea for easy access to the top down and really good reviews. Anyone have experience with this?

https://www.bestop.com/products/sunrider-for-hardtop-ford-2021-2023-bronco-2021-2023-bronco-raptor/

The one with most expensive cloth.
I put one on when I got my 2 door in May .Put 9500 miles on it and only a little flapping noise in a left to right crosswind. No less noise since my noise seems to be at connection of rear hardtop to pillars at door.I will stuff with something if I ever remove rear cap. Instructions are wrong for installing Bestop in my best guess. Using the Red washer a gap is left because pulling it down in groove is restricted .for wind and rain to enter. so study the instructions but maybe use your own judgement . Love in 30 seconds you have it up or down. Jim

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Been running my sunrider year-round for the past 15k miles. Some initial seal work was needed to prevent the "A-pillar" leak, but it's been rock solid ever since. Highly recommend. It does, however, get quite noisy in crosswind, headwind type of driving scenarios. Absolutely love mine though.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the Skyrider from Besttop. It replaces the middle and front row panels on the 4dr. Its a quality product, works well. Even better, it lets me keep the rear cap on, while having the open air experience. So I have better access and security, and can keep a rear roof rack on, with its side saddles.

However, dont buy the softtop to solve perceived MIC top "problems." They're way overblown. My MIC top is excellent since October 2021. Is it noisier than a steel roof? Yes. But the Skyrider is much noisier than the MIC top. The MIC softtop lets in road noise, buffets at interstate speed, and conversation is very difficult on the highway, compared to the MIC top. But when the weather is nice, its cool to open two latches and open the top. Neither top leaks for most people.

The MIC panels are harder to store on the vehicle if you decide to go topless while out. You can store in garage, but thats risky with unpredictable weather. On my 4dr, I slide them behind the front seats, so they're with me. Your 2dr panels are longer, and you dont have rear doors, so I cant speak to that option.

So yes, the Besttop Sunrider is an excellent option if you want easy access to open air driving with the rear cap on. The trade off is a noisier ride at highway speed. And snow/ice issues. But, once you learn to install the softtop, you can switch them seasonally. Thats my experience.

20231013_130652.jpg

CM81

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

I have had zero problems with my 2 door hard top, but I did get the sunrider for my 2 door because I got tired of taking the panels on and off. I love the sunrider. Super easy to install and uninstall when it starts to get cold out and super fast to open/close.

Sponsored

LCW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used a sun rider during the summer months (off now for winter here in MN). Look for my posts on it. I had to do some tweaks to make it quieter. But I can take it through cash washes without leaks at all, and the sound is acceptable. So convenient and nice during summer to just flip up whenever, but more importantly flip back closes if there’s a sprinkle or the sun goes down and it gets chilly.

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota,VW, Lexus, Triumph, Honda MC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
yes, looks like a quality product. I would love to drop my wheelbarrow of money off for this but I'm still waiting for @Bestop_Team to make a twill version in a color that matches our MIC tops. Come on guys it can't be that hard to find a supplier to make twill in a matching color........no? I think you are missing customers not doing this.

OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thank you all so much for your input! You answered additional questions that I did not think to ask! I appreciate the input regarding this NOT being a solution/fix for the MIC Hard Top. Some of the post describing the MIC Top as Junk are discouraging, but one thing i've learned in my many years on this planet is that the "truth" is always somewhere in the middle between - and +
Thanks LCW for your comments as that is what I was intending to do here in WI. Use it as a convertible soft top option during the grand summer months here in the frozen tundra and then switch back to hard top once things got chilly.
Thanks again for all of the feedback. I will be researching more of the posts regarding fixing/tweaking any install issues with the SunRider to prevent leaks.
Excited for the journey ahead!

OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Oh... hate to be a "columbo" but just one more thing..
I noticed on the website they have two different types of material options for the sunrider...
or is it just strictly color?

Ford Bronco Bestop Sun Rider? 1703960417714

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

yes, looks like a quality product. I would love to drop my wheelbarrow of money off for this but I'm still waiting for @Bestop_Team to make a twill version in a color that matches our MIC tops. Come on guys it can't be that hard to find a supplier to make twill in a matching color........no? I think you are missing customers not doing this.
I have the Twill Skyrider, and I really dont notice the Color difference. It may not be as bad as you anticipate, once you start using it. I'm very pleased with the product.

Sponsored
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ford Explorer, 2022 Ford Bronco Base 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Loving mine. I have. 2 door Base, and the sunrider has been one of the best things to happen to my bronco. You can just open it up/close with ease at any stoplight. I live in San Diego, so it’s perfect for the weather here, but even when I go skiing in big bear, the weather insulation is still pretty decent. As far as noise goes, I mean, there’s gonna be a bit of an increase, but as long as you got music going, you’re not going to notice it at all. I can hold conversation even with highway wind noise with absolutely no issue at all.

IMG_2897.jpeg

IMG_2284.jpeg

IMG_2283.jpeg

OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have the Twill Skyrider, and I really dont notice the Color difference. It may not be as bad as you anticipate, once you start using it. I'm very pleased with the product.
so on the website they list premium black twill and "black diamond" is that just the color or texture? Is the material the same?

CM81

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
so on the website they list premium black twill and "black diamond" is that just the color or texture? Is the material the same?
I believe the twill is thicker and a better material compared to the black diamond and the black diamond looks more like a plastic material

Irish Pete

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the twill version on my 2 door… I think it’s a better option - I think the other option is more like a vinyl texture… I love the product… best thing I’ve bought for my bronco so far

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The twill is a much more premium material, like a factory convertible top. The black diamond is your typical cheap vinyl. The vinyl is shinier, the twill is more of a matte finish and looks better against the MIC top.

I was looking for a picture with the Sunrider closed so you could see the color, but I don’t have any because it’s always open when I drive the truck.
Ford Bronco Bestop Sun Rider? IMG_4064
Sponsored