Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are they just using the hydraulic ram as a linear bearing, and all steering power comes from the steering box? Super interesting!

That's full hydro steer with a steering box for passing tech. I bet the pitman arm with be bent within the first mile of the race(looks like its designed that way). Makes me want to go to KOH.

That's my guess, too. Looks like a hydro assist setup with a mocked up pitman arm. People do crazy things to get around rules but intending to have a bent up steering arm right below the oil pan seems too risky so I'm doubting that is the plan but we'll see!

A double ended ram has proven to work very well in a hydro assist situation, just like a single ended ram. This has been done successfully on straight axle vehicles, so while still rare it is a proven concept. The steering gear isn't just here to meet the rules, it is there to provide more precise steering. Hydro assist steering is superior to full hydro for a couple of reasons. One, it is actually more powerful since there is steering force from both the steering gear and the hydraulic cylinder. Also, since there is a mechanical connection the steering feel and precision is much better than full hydro.

My first rock buggy was hydro assist, and steering was easy and accurate. And I raced KOH with that buggy and finished 2 out of 2 races with a 7th place. The first full hydro buggy I drove was also a KOH car that I was back up driver for, and I described the difference in steering feel this way: In my hydro assist buggy I could confidently steer 2 inches from a rock, in the full hydro buggy I aimed for two feet and hoped I was there. Granted, a lot has been learned since then about setting up full hydro better, but it still can't compare to a good hydro assist steering setup. Also, my previous buggy with assist did have stronger steering than my current buggy with full hydro. So, going assist is a good idea for a few different reasons. Most of the reasons to go full hydro is packaging, not because it's actually superior. I'll have to find out why this team decided to not go with a Trophy Truck rack, might be due to what they are familiar with, and because it's still rock crawling and this is proven to be durable.

I also wonder about the single layer pitman arm, but I also assume it's mock up and will be strengthened. I'll ask Josh about it. It is possible that it's strong enough, since there is no movement between the box and the ram, unlike in a normal situation there the drag link is moving with the suspension. Also, the ram will absorb all the kick back. Still, I'd be surprised if it isn't beefed up some.
Sponsored

OP
OP
goatman2

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So stock as in stock car stock?

Ultra4 4600 Stock class is still pretty highly modified, just some very restrictive rules to make it a very limited class. Some of the main rules are the body sheet metal cannot be cut, except for tire clearance around the wheel wells. the frame cannot be cut or modified at all, though can be reinforced and mounts on the frame moved or changed. Wheelbase and axle position cannot be moved more than 3 inches. Must keep the same type of suspension as stock, so leaf springs, or coils and links, or coilovers. Luckily, the Bronco comes with coilovers, and it comes with IFS, so that immediately makes it a great starting platform. Also, the engine and trans must have been available in that model, though no restrictions on engine modifications. And, the class is limited to 35" street tires. Even with these limitations a competitive 4600 car is not cheap to build.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With all the computer controlled systems reliant on each other, I always wondered what errors and trouble would arise if one of us mere mortals changed to different steering systems and such without the resources to program around it.
For example, if the transfer case ever grenaded like a few have around here & one thought to skip the factory replacement & field an Atlas in its place. Or to remove the staybar disco if it ever died What issues would not be able to be overcome :unsure:

OP
OP
goatman2

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With all the computer controlled systems reliant on each other, I always wondered what errors and trouble would arise if one of us mere mortals changed to different steering systems and such without the resources to program around it.
For example, if the transfer case ever grenaded like a few have around here & one thought to skip the factory replacement & field an Atlas in its place. Or to remove the staybar disco if it ever died What issues would not be able to be overcome :unsure:
Well, I'll talk to the teams at KOH about this and see what their experience is. The three factory Broncos were already built and given to the three teams, although with quite a bit of input from them. These new three are totally built by the teams themselves, so we should be able to learn more. Interesting to see what is wired through the ECU for engine management and the BCU for body equipment and accessory function and management.

Sponsored

RXV_POOR

Base
First Name
Leland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Lexus GS 350 F Sport
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've wondered the same thing.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Man, I love the look of those portals and the suspension geometry it affords. I wonder what kind of wheel travel they're getting with it.

Someone needs to get with 74weld one of these days and show them how to correctly run safety wire through a run of bolts. It's currently wired to secure reverse threaded bolts.

Shifts And Grins Fab

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shiftsandgrinsfabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 Bronco Wildtrak Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Big Steering Upgrade on New 4600 KOH Bronco 1673731616712

Excited to see they are using ADS racing shocks!
now I really can't wait to get my oem bolt on upgrade 2.5" ADS installed!
Did you get your ADS kit installed? We are getting ready to get one for our 2023 Badlands. We just became an ADS dealer. I am looking forward to putting some miles on the kit.
Sponsored