Sponsored

Biggest tire without removing crash bars?

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
...well have you been in a horrific frontal collision since then?
You people and your crash bars, if you think that specific part is going to save your life in a “horrific” frontal collision then I’m surprised you even get in a car.
Sponsored

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Lmao, no shit ... right?
This is the type of "critical thinking" that makes me think we, as a Country, are fucked.
Not to mention, the Prius catchers are for the Prius.... :rolleyes:
Walk in your bedroom and remove the tag from your mattress, live damnit😂

Never read any of you crash bar Karen’s ask about braking. Larger tires will change braking distances, larger tires increase roll over risk etc...you all just ignore what adding larger tires, lift and so on will do but Karen out because some flimsy part is called “crash bar” but somehow I’m lacking critical thinking 🤔

Last edited:

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You people and your crash bars, if you think that specific part is going to save your life in a “horrific” frontal collision then I’m surprised you even get in a car.
Im not saying that. You're the one that said removing the bars is fine because you did it on a truck. It's like saying "I removed my airbags and nothing bad happened!"

No one knows the impact of having crash bars or not.

OP
OP

Ldeng10

Outer Banks
First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 xlt
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have an Outer Banks also. The stock tires are 32.1 inch. I replaced stock with BF KO2's sized at 275/70/R18 on original rims. No lift required and crash bars can be left in. No rub at full lock. No poke either.

89E3DF2C-8832-480E-AB3F-007B865312EB_1_201_a.jpeg
That looks amazing

Sponsored
OP
OP

Ldeng10

Outer Banks
First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 xlt
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't know if this helps you in any way, but I have 285/75r18 (35") Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my non-sas Outer Banks with the front crash bars still installed. The crash bars on the back side of the front wheel well did have to be removed to fit the tires. However, I do have the 2" Rough Country spacer lift.

I have the regular bumper and just didn't want to take that off to remove the crash bars. Ended up being fine without it.
That definitely helps! Thank you for your information. I wanted to see if I can get as close as 35 with it all in if I lifted it 2 inches I guess maybe 3 if I want 35s

OP
OP

Ldeng10

Outer Banks
First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 xlt
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Welcome to the forum!🥳
Another thing to think about is which gears will you be running on your Outer Banks, 3.73's or the optional 4.27's? The 4.27's will be better with bigger tires but I wouldn't hesitate to run something in the 33" diameter range with the 3.73's.
I have the 4.27 with the rear locker I was told it was needed for the 2.7 when I ordered. So I think 33-34 may be the way to go after reading everyone’s comments.

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It has everything to do with wheel offset. The more they poke out (negative offset), the higher probability you will have rub. Do some searching on this forum and you will undoubtedly find examples of what you are trying to do and what the results are. I have zero offset wheels on my BD and KO2 285's (33's). At lock, there was a slight rub on the front crash bars, so I removed them. The rear crash bars are still on, but at full left lock and in reverse...I still hear a slight rub. I've been wheeling half a dozen times now and haven't had any problems. Best of luck!

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No one knows the impact of having crash bars or not.
Both Ford and the NHTSA know and they determined Sasquatched Broncos were safe to sell without them.

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Personally, I like walking unassisted, hope you don't mind being called "wheels"...

I'll take my feet over looking cool

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 2017 Super Cab (same body style) has crash bars, so clearly they started including them some at point after this test. Probably a reason for that.

Does anyone know if the IIHS ever ended up crashing a Sasquatch? I know a Base performed well, but…?

USAGUY

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

. My 2 cents. There is no way that Ford Motor Company put crash bars on tens of thousands of Broncos for no reason. The savings of leaving them out would have saved Ford millions (I guess). IMHO it’s a numbers game, a risk/cost analysis. Of course crash bars help in severe front crashes. Ford knows people are willing to risk a little safety for coolness. Hey I have a non-squash badlands; in 25 k miles when I’m looking for some new rubber I might take that tiny risk & go for some bad ass 35’s or a lift & 37’s.
Kinda like that flimsy pan that starts rattling under your catalytic converter on your 15 year old banger. What do you do? Rip that sucker off and keep on keeping on. Smart? Egh. Just don’t park on leaves.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Both Ford and the NHTSA know and they determined Sasquatched Broncos were safe to sell without them.
We know sasquatch broncos meet the bare minimum to be sold. I believe that's all we know.
Sponsored