Black Lugs & Wheel Locks

CliffCo

Big Bend
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver, Big Bend Sasquatch (MIC top)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford Bronco Black Lugs & Wheel Locks 97B54E63-586F-47FC-9AB8-F53064C90482

I went Ford Performance black lugs with the McGard 24526, 5 lug wheel locks, and that covered the wheels and spare in black lug glory…
Sponsored

U725Bronco

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So what's better....Ford Performance black lugs and McGard black locks or McGard black lugs and McGard black locks and why?

CliffCo

Big Bend
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver, Big Bend Sasquatch (MIC top)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So what's better....Ford Performance black lugs and McGard black locks or McGard black lugs and McGard black locks and why?
Dunno if there's a right answer here. My Ford Performance lugs were a purchase that I did early on... kind of a, "I just ordered a Bronco and need to buy some Bronco something" type of purchase. They look and feel great... heavy and solid...

I didn't check out McGard lugs, but I bet they'd match a little better to the lock. More black chrome than brushed black like the Ford lugs.

I've also seen where every lug is a lock... so you could go that route...

I'd be interested to hear what you guys have tried, how it's working, and advantages/disadvantages...

U725Bronco

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Dunno if there's a right answer here. My Ford Performance lugs were a purchase that I did early on... kind of a, "I just ordered a Bronco and need to buy some Bronco something" type of purchase. They look and feel great... heavy and solid...

I didn't check out McGard lugs, but I bet they'd match a little better to the lock. More black chrome than brushed black like the Ford lugs.

I've also seen where every lug is a lock... so you could go that route...

I'd be interested to hear what you guys have tried, how it's working, and advantages/disadvantages...
Thanks for the input. I would also be interested to hear what others think is the best option for black lugs and wheel locks now that more people are experimenting with options.

JustSendItDude

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you go the route of purchasing the Ford Performance black lugs, make sure to purchase part # M1012KBR as it includes (24) lugs. Here is a link as even searching by the part # doesn't bring it up:

Bronco 2021 M12 1.5 Black Lug Nut Vehicle Kit of 24 ~ M1012KBR (ford.com)

When I went to Ford Performance to buy the lugs, I only saw part # M1012BR, a set of (6) lugs. The (6) lugs cost $40 a pop, and the set of (24) lugs is priced at $145—just a heads up to anyone else looking to buy from Ford directly.

Sponsored

Merbronc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT viper GTS/Cadillac Escalade/Audi A6
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
does anyone know if Ford makes a wheel lock with the same finish as their black lugs?

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you go the route of purchasing the Ford Performance black lugs, make sure to purchase part # M1012KBR as it includes (24) lugs. Here is a link as even searching by the part # doesn't bring it up:

Bronco 2021 M12 1.5 Black Lug Nut Vehicle Kit of 24 ~ M1012KBR (ford.com)

When I went to Ford Performance to buy the lugs, I only saw part # M1012BR, a set of (6) lugs. The (6) lugs cost $40 a pop, and the set of (24) lugs is priced at $145—just a heads up to anyone else looking to buy from Ford directly.
yes. however, don't forget the spare. so you'll need to order an extra 6, unfortunately.

I forgot the spare and only ordered the set of 24, which is how I learned this lesson, haha.

JustSendItDude

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

yes. however, don't forget the spare. so you'll need to order an extra 6, unfortunately.

I forgot the spare and only ordered the set of 24, which is how I learned this lesson, haha.
Oh no! I bet that was frustrating.

I'm also ordering a set of 5 Wheel Locks Here to use on the wheels. Using the wheel locks will give me a surplus of 4 lug nuts to use on the spare, plus an extra wheel lock. So all is good.

My previous post was only to help save those going with the performance lugs from Ford a few dollars.

I had a hard time finding the set of 24 and almost ordered (4) sets of six and paid more!

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I'm also ordering a set of 5 Wheel Locks Here to use on the wheels. Using the wheel locks will give me a surplus of 4 lug nuts to use on the spare, plus an extra wheel lock. So all is good.

My previous post was only to help save those going with the performance lugs from Ford a few dollars.

I had a hard time finding the set of 24 and almost ordered (4) sets of six and paid more!
nice. Also a good point. I didn't add locks, so that's how I ended up coming up short! So just a PSA for anyone not adding locks. :)

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good idea. Just found the Ford set of 24 lugs for $115.

Sponsored

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same. Looking to powder coat my beauty rings black and get black lug nuts. Was looking at these from Ford.

Ford Bronco Black Lugs & Wheel Locks 97B54E63-586F-47FC-9AB8-F53064C90482
Be careful as Ford many times uses a 2 piece lug nut. Usually from the factory for sure. They are known to separate and then they are difficult to remove. Get a one piece solid lug nut.

JustSendItDude

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good idea. Just found the Ford set of 24 lugs for $115.
Nice! How did you get the price down to $115!? I see them listed for $150 on Ford's website.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

JustSendItDude

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

DrBriGuy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just finished the swap with the McGard lugs and locks. The McGards are taller and don't have the bulge/ring, so if you really look closely you can see a little unpainted metal at the base of the nut. Not going to bother me, but would only take a quick touchup to make that go away.

IMG_0440.jpeg

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0445.jpeg

IMG_0456.jpeg

IMG_0457.jpeg

IMG_0458.jpeg

IMG_0459.jpeg

IMG_0460.jpeg
Sponsored