Sponsored

Bleached seats!!! Can I replace the factory seat covering myself?

Danny's Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes! Waiting for that 2 door to ship!
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Curious if I can swap out the fabric seat cover on my passenger seat myself or if I would have to pay someone to do it? I have a 2dr OBX with the blue and grey interior.

I seem to remember a thread a while ago where someone had removed their factory seat covers and replacing them with some leather seats he bought off Alibaba or somewhere.

Hoping it didn't ruin my Tuxmat too. Sent them an email to see what they thought. I was planning on finally cleaning my side tomorrow anyway to see what they look like after all the salt and snow over the last few months.
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Check YouTube, there should be a few videos on the Katkinz, those require you to remove the existing factory covers. Mabett has some pleather covers that look decent, those just slip over and would be easier to install.

Also when you say bleached, you mean real bleach or sun bleached? If it's sun go see your dealer, not sure if warranty would cover if normal use or not.

OP
OP
Danny's Bronco

Danny's Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Check YouTube, there should be a few videos on the Katkinz, those require you to remove the existing factory covers. Mabett has some pleather covers that look decent, those just slip over and would be easier to install.

Also when you say bleached, you mean real bleach or sun bleached? If it's sun go see your dealer, not sure if warranty would cover if normal use or not.
I looked at the Mabett and Katskinz. Torn between if either of those are a good choice. I spoke to Katskinz at a Bronco show. They make amazing stuff. $2k+ though. I don't think I would try it myself.

Haven't seen the Mabett in person. They look good for the pics I have seen. Do I tear out my interior and trust those parts enough? I dunno. Had some hit and miss Mabett stuff on my 4dr.

Just wondered if I could get the factory seat cover and replace just the parts that are ruined. Dealer is saying $1500 ish. And yes actual liquid Clorox bleach. Wish it was sunbleached from usage. I haven't even had her long enough to get the oil changed yet.

Depends on your skill level. Do you have hog ring pliers?
I don't think so... but I do have an eBay account and a credit card!

I have used a set before but I think I borrowed pliers or I might actually still have them. The bronco seats are a little more complicated than the vinyl I put in a 1940's wooden boat long ago. I know I have little box of the rings out in my barn.

Not sure the airbags and seat heaters etc make me nervous

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I looked at the Mabett and Katskinz. Torn between if either of those are a good choice. I spoke to Katskinz at a Bronco show. They make amazing stuff. $2k+ though. I don't think I would try it myself.

Haven't seen the Mabett in person. They look good for the pics I have seen. Do I tear out my interior and trust those parts enough? I dunno. Had some hit and miss Mabett stuff on my 4dr.

Just wondered if I could get the factory seat cover and replace just the parts that are ruined. Dealer is saying $1500 ish. And yes actual liquid Clorox bleach. Wish it was sunbleached from usage. I haven't even had her long enough to get the oil changed yet.

I have used a set before but I think I borrowed pliers or I might actually still have them. The bronco seats are a little more complicated than the vinyl I put in a 1940's wooden boat long ago. I know I have little box of the rings out in my barn.

IMO, if you're going to spend $1500 for a factory replacement I'd just go full Katzkin and you can go as custom as you want to make it yours! If you want you can put a WTB (want to buy) out in the marketplace here and hope someone has a set of the blue/gray cloth covers they had pulled off.

The Mabetts are just slip on, no need to remove your old covers, for the Katzkins and to replace OEM ... yes, have to be removed. I'm pretty handy but I don't think I'd try the full Katzkin replacements myself, if you have doubts I'd just pay someone, less headache and guaranteed work if you have issues later.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Danny's Bronco

Danny's Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
IMO, if you're going to spend $1500 for a factory replacement I'd just go full Katzkin and you can go as custom as you want to make it yours! If you want you can put a WTB (want to buy) out in the marketplace here and hope someone has a set of the blue/gray cloth covers they had pulled off.

The Mabetts are just slip on, no need to remove your old covers, for the Katzkins and to replace OEM ... yes, have to be removed. I'm pretty handy but I don't think I'd try the full Katzkin replacements myself, if you have doubts I'd just pay someone, less headache and guaranteed work if you have issues later.

Agreed... if I have to pay $1589 to have it recovered it will be with the Katzkin, and I wouldn't try to do that myself. I wish their cooled seats were cheaper. Haven't had this one long enough to make it there, but my 4dr spent a lot of time Topless in the FL sun. I rode in one with black MGV seats down there and they were miserably hot. I worry the leather Katzkin will be hot too.

Maybe it wasn't Mabett then. I saw a thread where a guy took his down to the foam, but he looked like an upholstery shop. If they don't cover it like they said I will consider the Mabett seat covers. I looked at them on Amazon like $129 or something.

Great idea about the WTB section! Might try that. I am curious see what the company ends up doing.

Thanks fo the reply tho

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did my own cloth to leather Katzkin in a Highlander when my kids were little. They trashed the cloth and I could never get it clean and not smelling like spoiled milk. It’s absolutely doable if you have some
Mechanical ability. I’m not sure how the Bronco seats are assembled but know they are done my peoples hands. This isn’t like those fusion plastic welded parts that are forever made into a single part. You will need patience. It took me 6-7 hours to do Highlander 1st and 2nd row seats, minus door panels.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would be using that account/CC to find a set of OEM seat covers to replace. Many Katzkin installers sell the OEM seat covers at a considerable discount. They have no use for them. And they have already made their money with their product. Find a set and Make An Offer.

DirectHit

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t mess with the dealer, contact Katzkin and find a local installer they recommend. Based on my two previous katzkin installs I’m guessing you will be out around $2k all in.

you will also have a much nicer setup than the factory leather. I only have 9k on my 2 door that has factory leather and am already thinking about my katzkin options.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don’t mess with the dealer, contact Katzkin and find a local installer they recommend. Based on my two previous katzkin installs I’m guessing you will be out around $2k all in.

you will also have a much nicer setup than the factory leather. I only have 9k on my 2 door that has factory leather and am already thinking about my katzkin options.
The OP has a 2-dr OBX with cloth seats that have been discontinued. If I were him, I would keep the OEM cloth seats as they are a rarity. Most OBX buyers were opting for the moar door causing Ford to discontinue the 2-dr OBX. And those moar door OBX buyers were likely to opt for the leather as it was the same cost option as the 2-dr which had no power seat option. Consequently not many opted for the cloth seat options. The Roast option was preferred over the Luna Navy Pier making a 2-dr OBX with the Luna Navy Pier cloth seats a rarity.

Sponsored

DirectHit

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The OP has a 2-dr OBX with cloth seats that have been discontinued. If I were him, I would keep the OEM cloth seats as they are a rarity. Most OBX buyers were opting for the moar door causing Ford to discontinue the 2-dr OBX. And those moar door OBX buyers were likely to opt for the leather as it was the same cost option as the 2-dr which had no power seat option. Consequently not many opted for the cloth seat options. The Roast option was preferred over the Luna Navy Pier making a 2-dr OBX with the Luna Navy Pier cloth seats a rarity.
Fair enough, but do bleached rare seats really hold any kind of value. I’m not sure, but in my world bleached seats would suck, unless they were my only option for some restore project, and then I would have them covered.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fair enough, but do bleached rare seats really hold any kind of value. I’m not sure, but in my world bleached seats would suck, unless they were my only option for some restore project, and then I would have them covered.
Of course the damaged cover doesn't hold value. But tracking down an OEM seat cover should be feasible to maintain the VIN's build profile. Ford isn't making anymore of the the 2-dr OBX with Luna Navy Pier cloth seats.

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Do you need upper and lower, just lower? One seat, 2 seats, which seat etc. Be a little more descriptive and some of the very helpful people here are sure to be able to find the part number and then the price.
As far as can you do it? Since you're asking I'm thinking we can assume it's not something you're familiar with. So whether you can do it or not is best answered by you. None of us know your capabilities. Is it hard? I'd put it at 4-5 out of 10. But that's my slightly biased rating. I have the tools and have done a replacement. An upholstery shop can do the whole seat in an hour.

OP
OP
Danny's Bronco

Danny's Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you need upper and lower, just lower? One seat, 2 seats, which seat etc. Be a little more descriptive and some of the very helpful people here are sure to be able to find the part number and then the price.
As far as can you do it? Since you're asking I'm thinking we can assume it's not something you're familiar with. So whether you can do it or not is best answered by you. None of us know your capabilities. Is it hard? I'd put it at 4-5 out of 10. But that's my slightly biased rating. I have the tools and have done a replacement. An upholstery shop can do the whole seat in an hour.

This is part of my problem right now. I don't know what I need. Right now the base has softball sizedish wet looking spots. The back has some splatter kinda spots and I think the Tuxmats saved the carpet. I don't know if it's going to turn orange. Or? Dealer can get the parts from the supplier. I talked to the parts department. They're worried it soaked into the foam too... another ?

I restored an old Chris Craft 20+ years ago. I bought a reproduction set of vinyl seat covers for it, rebuilt the springs, foam covered they the vinyl. I got the all the other stuff from an upholstery shop. It was a 9/10 for me. And I am super picky. More worried if there is some sensor or airbag heated seats... something I wouldn't know. I am sure I have all the tools to easily remove the seat etc. I can't remember if the upholstery shop let me borrow some pliers tho. This was in the 90's before everything was easy to get online.

Ford Bronco Bleached seats!!!  Can I replace the factory seat covering myself? Day after

OP
OP
Danny's Bronco

Danny's Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
AH I finally got a pic to load! Thanks for all the replies. It's kinda heartbreaking. Not even had the oil changed. Damn chipmunk chewed threw one of my injector wires too while we were stuck overseas. $1700 Been a great month. And I was buying the bleach for my mom with some other supplies they needed as my stepdad just started chemo. Just can't win. who even knows if it was someone opening the bottle or Clorox not screwing it down. My trunk was full of all other kinds of stuff from Sams or else this would have all happened in my trunk on the plastic tub where the groceries usually go. Gott bounce back been some bad luck lately!
Sponsored