WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had the opportunity to be in a Wiltrak 2 door during a full on panic stop. There is an immense amount of brake dive, not quite making the rear unstable, but not far from it. Panic braking at 60 pulling a trailer of any mass would be terrifying. Honestly, if I were to change anything it may be looking into the anti-dive geometry, though that's a massive can of worms.

The only reason the fronts didn't lock is because the antilock system engaged. So, from my experience there is ample braking in this vehicle. Though I'm with you on the pads and lines, because durability, braided lines are much tougher.
Would a leveling kit to reduce rake help at all with the diving when hard braking?
Sponsored

KatieB75

Badlands
First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drove a dealer demo 2door and man she dives when you brake hard. Haha I was quite shocked. She also bucks up when you accelerate quickly.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Welcome to hard braking with a tall-ish softly sprung off road rig with tires with a tall sidewall. I've dealt with this for years. Thankfully we have a decent suspension that allows for some measure of control. I've had some that were down right scary under panic braking.

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Would a leveling kit to reduce rake help at all with the diving when hard braking?
No, brake dive is a function of the side view of the front control arm mounting points, kingpin, the CG and the wheelbase, among other factors. Hard springs and shock valving can slow the effect, but the geometry is baked in. Suspension design is always a compromise, in this case they accepted brake dive in order to gain wheel travel and camber control.

Like I said, plan ahead while driving and be conservative on pavement.

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the base model still comes with your favorite nanny. Yup, it has automatic emergency braking. Activated on my base once, it brakes hard.

Sponsored

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

FWIW, rake exists in these and many other vehicles for a good reason. While traveling at speed the rake exposes flat surfaces to the front view, meaning that it can create down force to counteract the engine bay positive pressure air packing. Leveling kits are for looks.

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the opportunity to be in a Wiltrak 2 door during a full on panic stop. There is an immense amount of brake dive, not quite making the rear unstable, but not far from it. Panic braking at 60 pulling a trailer of any mass would be terrifying. Honestly, if I were to change anything it may be looking into the anti-dive geometry, though that's a massive can of worms.

The only reason the fronts didn't lock is because the antilock system engaged. So, from my experience there is ample braking in this vehicle. Though I'm with you on the pads and lines, because durability, braided lines are much tougher.
Good to know 🙏 for sharing that

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anybody had a slamming on the brakes experience yet? If so, tell about it here.

My experience: 2 door WT, Interstate, 70 mph. Car in front of me suddenly decides to slow down quickly. I did not slam on brakes fully but aggressively slowed down. Felt a little squirrelly and had the feeling of moving side to side a little. It definitely reminds you that you are driving an off road vehicle. Otherwise, it stopped just fine.
do you have a 2.7?

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah is have some doubts that pads and lines will improve stopping distances, but I have yet to do a panic stop to see what happens.

My ASSUMPTION is that you should be able to engage abs at any speed.
Pads can reduce braking distances, but as I noted above, there are always compromises. Pads can grab harder due to formulation, but they tend to sacrifice themselves and the rotors faster in the process

It helps to understand what the brakes do, which is conversion of kinetic energy to heat energy. By using a system that can create more friction, it will generate more heat and decrease the kinetic energy faster.

Keep in mind, a lot of theses pads require more heat to work much at all. Those may not work so well off roads.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Folks that have the 2.3 have vacuum assisted brakes vs the electronic found in the 2.7. Documented better stop distances for the 2.7. Just another advantage that many never consider.

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drive mostly in the country with deer jumping out, old ladies pulling out in front of you when you're going pretty fast (within posted speed, obvs), people who slam on brakes to turn with no signal, etc. It's like driving the gauntlet some days. I haven't had an issue with stopping quickly. If you are switching to a Bronco from a car, it might feel different, but I drive trucks. I think it stops faster than my truck.
Sponsored