Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For reference it's a .827 inch clearance differential. Definitely not nothing, but not exactly night and day either.
On the differentials it's about that, ...but all of the sprung parts you get more than that because the Sasquatch Bronbco also has a little bit more lift. All of those Sprung parts are the areas that most often get caught/scraped/stuck....the difference is definitely significant enough to make a difference on the trail.
Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sounds like you need to test-drive a manual.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a good point. Mines a 4 door build but a 2.3 in a 2door lightweight bronco would be just fine (damn dependents needing a 4 door :( )
I dunno how much lighter the 2 door is... Lighter for sure, but not massively so. 4725 for my 2 door Badlands with auto. 4 door BL with same drive train is over 4960 lbs. Noticeable difference if say.

GVWR-Details-with-Wildtrack-2048x1583.jpg

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve been babying my 2.3 manual bd til yesterday when I passed my 1000 mile break-in simply said if you know how to drive a manual and can figure out shift points and power band this thing hauls I’ll post a 0-60 video soon Will def b faster than tfl video And no engine isn’t tuned
Looking forward to the video

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
From the start, I was frustrated with the options available due to the segmenting that Ford forced upon the various trims and the inability to really get what I wanted. I also didn't want to spend more than $50k on the purchase (which is an artificial limitation that I imposed on myself). I was purchasing a 2 door regardless of trim.

The fact that I wanted adaptive cruise control, basically ruled out Base, Black Diamond, and Big Bend; as it's only available on the Outer Banks, Badlands, and WildTrak (not counting the FE). So having the LUX package was really a deal breaker for me. Also having the rear locker and tow package were two things I would not compromise on. I was willing to compromise on the manual transmission, but really wanted a 2.7 manual to be honest. Worse yet, the OBX didn't even have the manual as an option.

In making my choice, I gave up the manual transmission, front locker, the sway-bar disconnect, and a few other off-road accessories for the 2.7, auto transmission, ACC, upgraded stereo, and a few other tech/comfort options. In reality, I wanted the best of both worlds (probably a First Edition, which was already sold out, and not under $50k).

Ford intentionally set this up so that if you wanted a Bronco that really maximized the best of both worlds, it would cost you. In my case, that Badlands cost was an MSRP of $55,600; nearly $7000 over the cost of my Outer Banks. The big things that I feel that I am giving up are the suspension, front locker, and sway bar disconnect, but that's not $7,000 of value for me - for some people it certainly will be. I still question whether I could have built it differently to get more value for myself, but I haven't found an alternative configuration that would do that for me.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I dunno how much lighter the 2 door is... Lighter for sure, but not massively so. 4725 for my 2 door Badlands with auto. 4 door BL with same drive train is over 4960 lbs. Noticeable difference if say.

Ford Bronco Bronco 2.3 VS 2.7 engine drive comparison GVWR-Details-with-Wildtrack-2048x1583
Depends on the spec, 4557 (OBX 2 door 2.7l) is 400# lighter.

OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On the differentials it's about that, ...but all of the sprung parts you get more than that because the Sasquatch Bronbco also has a little bit more lift. All of those Sprung parts are the areas that most often get caught/scraped/stuck....the difference is definitely significant enough to make a difference on the trail.
Yep. It was significant enough that I did not scrap the underbody where the BL on 33s did several times.

OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like you need to test-drive a manual.
I don't. I have learned to drive on a manual and got a few manual cars. I'll never go back to get stuck in traffic with a manual. Plus the 10 speed with the 2.7 was so on point and so smooth.

Also, I specified that my review does not apply to manual. My point is the 2.3 Auto on a heavy Bronco(like a 4D Badlands) is a no go.

Panmort

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had a 4 door BD SAS for a whole day and found the 2.3 to be completely fine. But to each their own.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
For kicks, I plugged the lightest 2-door and heaviest most loaded 4-door Bronco weights into a calculator that estimates 1/4 mile times, by comparing only vehicle weight as the variance: https://robrobinette.com/et.htm

The results for a 2.3L Bronco (300hp at the flywheel):

Lightest 2-door weight: 4319lbs
Predicted 1/4 mile time: 14.73

Heaviest 4-door wieght: 5226lbs
Predicted 1/4 mile time: 15.70

So basically shedding the 900lbs cuts around one second off the estimated 1/4 mile time.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Having driven a Big Bend 2.3L and a Wildtrak (2.7L w/ Sas std), I completely disagree about the 35s being more comfortable on the road. I found the Big Bend to be significantly more comfortable on the road.

I also don't fully agree in regards to the packages. I don't feel like High/Lux is worth the cost, but I realize I'm probably in the minority there. Although I do agree that the base sound system leaves a lot to be desired. (I wasn't overly impressed with B&O either—although it was definitely a lot better than base.)

Beyond that, agree with almost everything else you said.

If I'm being honest, the 2.3L does seem sufficient for the Bronco, and I suspect the vast majority who order the 2.3L will be happy with the 2.3L. But the 2.7L does give it a "smoother" overall experience. It just feels like the 2.7L was meant for the Bronco and the 2.3L is the comprising choice. Very similar to the the Cyclone V6 versus the EcoBoost/Coyote in the F-150. The Cyclone V6 works... but it's just... "meh".

Unfortunately for me, as someone who really is only seriously considering the Bronco because of the manual transmission, I'll probably have to compromise with the 2.3L. Unless Ford answers my prayers and pairs it with the 2.7L—but I doubt that'll happen.

EDIT:
One more thing to note... if you are going to get the Badlands and put 37s - 40s on it... skip the Sasquatch package. Not worth the added cost. Otherwise, it's a solid upgrade.
Thanks for the write up! I am now quite convinced you work for the Ford Sales and Marketing department. :D

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the write up! I am now quite convinced you work for the Ford Sales and Marketing department. :D
Wish I did so I could tell the engineers to build a 2.7L manual.

But alas… I don’t.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I had a 4 door BD SAS for a whole day and found the 2.3 to be completely fine. But to each their own.
Agree completely. I was able to drive a 4 dr Big Bend 2.3 auto today, my dealer got their factory demo. I was pleasantly surprised by the power and responsiveness. It accelerated crisply off the line, and accelerated quickly in any situation I was in. It felt very good to drive. Confirms that I'm keeping my 2.3 order. This BB had 3.73 diff gears and 32" tires. A Sasquatch with 35's and 4.70 would be slightly lower geared, as would a BD with 33" tires and 4.46 gears. Nothing wrong with more power, and anyone getting the 2.7 will be happy, but after driving the 4 dr 2.3 I have no desire to go for the 2.7 in the 2 dr I have ordered.
Sponsored