UniBroncorn

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ordered my Outer Banks last month with an estimated build date of 4/30/24. Original order was with 2.3l engine but now having second thoughts for the 2.7 engine. I ordered the Sasquatch package and hard top as well, which I definitely want. Called the dealer today 4/8, they can't change my order and here are my options:
1. Stick with what I have, less peppier engine but should receive in 2 months
2. Get the 2.7 engine but new order starts and won't get for another 4 months (miss the summer when I need it for my family)
3. Dealer does have an Outer Banks in stock with the 2.7 engine, my color, sasquatch package but only has the soft top. I can pick up car now but hard top will be like $5K more down the load with no real estimate on delivery.

I'm sure I'm overthinking this but is the 2.3l engine enough? Any help would be appreciated. This is a gift for my wife who has another SUV. So this is just an extra car for fun, daily driver not real off roading
Get the 2.7 with hard top.
Sponsored

Laddyaddy19

Black Diamond
First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Evo X, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Both are very good. I own one with each motor. There isnā€™t much difference in acceleration until you reach 65+ mph. Even then there isnā€™t a huge difference, but itā€™s noticeable. If you do a lot of driving on the interstate or merging in traffic the 2.7 is definitely nice to have. Really depends on your driving style.

fpostgate

Big Bend
First Name
Farley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2024
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Personally I love my 2.3, but I would have ordered the 2.7, except I had to to get the Manual Transmission, which requires the 2.3. I agree that with 93 octane this is a great motor. I plan to get the ford performance module to get even more power, but it is great right now stock in sport mode. I don't use 87 octane in this, it gets much better gas millage with the 93 (about 2 miles per gallon more I recorded, and takes away all risk of high boost knock).

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It does have hill descent on the manual, but I donā€™t know about one-pedal drive or trail control - you may be right on that.
Iā€™ve never used it. Put it in crawler gear, point it downhill and donā€™t touch the pedals.

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Iā€™ve never used it. Put it in crawler gear, point it downhill and donā€™t touch the pedals.
I tried it once just to see how it did. Lots of ABS noise, but otherwise - yeah, what you said.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For perspective the last Gen 5 1996 bronco with a 351 (5.8 liter) had 205 hp. 300 hp from the 2.3 is plenty.

If you need a 4wd vehicle with a lot of power go buy a superduty with the high output diesel. 500 hp 1200 lbs of torque. A 7500 lb monster that runs a 14.1 second 1/4 mile. It will pull whatever you can hook up to.

old goat

Big Bend
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ordered my Outer Banks last month with an estimated build date of 4/30/24. Original order was with 2.3l engine but now having second thoughts for the 2.7 engine. I ordered the Sasquatch package and hard top as well, which I definitely want. Called the dealer today 4/8, they can't change my order and here are my options:
2. Get the 2.7 engine but new order starts and won't get for another 4 months (miss the summer when I need it for my family)
3. Dealer does have an Outer Banks in stock with the 2.7 engine, my color, sasquatch package but only has the soft top. I can pick up car now but hard top will be like $5K more down the load with no real estimate on delivery.

I'm sure I'm overthinking this but is the 2.3l engine enough? Any help would be appreciated. This is a gift for my wife who has another SUV. So this is just an extra car for fun, daily driver not real off roading
you are over thinking it . 2.3 is plenty for what you are using it for.

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2.3 is more simple, with less stuff to break and more space around the engine

sabasigh

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had a 2019 Ranger FX4 with the 2.3L. Was a great engine...just ended up trading it in for a larger vehicle @ the start of the Pandemic.

Sponsored

Bsenecal

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger crew cab, '17 Fusion sport, '68 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

We have a 2 door Outer Banks with Sasquatch package, over 20k trouble free miles.
Plenty of power, we also have a 2019 Ranger that has the same engine and transmission, I have towed 3-5 thousand pounds in a trailer behind it and feel like it had plenty of power.
Nothing against the 2.7 but we are happy with our choice.
Brian

Mtea

Big Bend
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr 2.3 Auto, Porsche Cayenne Diesel Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I bought my 2dr 2.3 auto Big Bend non-sas off the lot last fall. Needed for Idaho mountain winter so didnā€™t really have an engine choice. The 2.3 seemed fine on test drive so that was it. Have been very happy with it. Did plenty of BDR type driving and it did just fine. Drives great on the highway and I usually get around 23 mpg overall. Dealer lately wanted to upsell me to a 2dr 2.7 Badlands SAS so I took it for a test drive. I thought it felt sluggish and noisy compared to my 2.3 so Iā€™m keeping mine. You donā€™t need the big tires for 90% of off-roading. Iā€™m spending money on racks, recovery gear, extra gas storage, etc.

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the 2.3L because I wanted the manual and that was the only engine choice.

I have towed boats at altitude (5000 feet in Ennis, MT) and have not had issues with "not enough" power. I do have to downshift from 6th gear to 5th or even 4th when going up steeper highway grades but can keep 70mph with proper gear selection.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
At 95k miles, I am still very happy with my decision to go with the 2.7 Ecoboost. The only other rational option is the 2.3 manual transmission, but I couldn't get the OBX with a manual transmission or any Bronco with a 2.7 manual transmission.

The math was easy 2 door 2.7 auto advanced 4x4 at 4416 pounds is one of the faster configurations off the showroom floor.
Sponsored