Sponsored

Bronco/Bronco Sport Trade In Plan: Dumb?

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, I’ve recently gotten a new job that pays really well and want to reward myself with my dream car: a Bronco. Unfortunately, full-size Broncos are being marked up right now on lots at ridiculous amounts.

So, I plan on ordering one. However, in the meantime, during my search for a Bronco, I found a great deal on a 2022 Bronco Sport at MSRP from a local small dealer.

I’m able to put down enough on the Sport that I would be financing 20,000. The only reason I’m considering this is because the order-to-delivery time on Broncos has been long and indefinite and new cars are holding their value incredibly well.

I would get the Sport, drive it lightly for a few months (I WFH), and then trade it in for a Bronco when it comes in.

Dumb decision? Has anyone else gotten an interim vehicle while waiting for their Bronco?
I ordered my Bronco 700 days ago today. I find your "few months" optimism to be very refreshing. #StayPumped

pwocbzW.jpg
Sponsored

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yup, cars are a necessary evil. My 2011 Mitsubishi was all paid off, enjoying no car payments. Until the Bronco was announced. Sucked me back in.
I haven't made a vehicle payment since 1994 -- I've paid cash for all vehicles since that time. In fact, I've bought every vehicle (except my '69 Mustang) when they were around 5 years old. The Bronco I have on order will be the first new vehicle I've ever bought, and while I won't be financing the entire amount, I'll still be financing 50-60% of it (unless it takes more than a year to arrive.) So like you, I'm getting sucked back into a payment. LOL!

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I ordered my Bronco 700 days ago today. I find your "few months" optimism to be very refreshing. #StayPumped
What was the date of your actual order (not your reservation)? It's sad that your base Bronco order hasn't been filled in probably a year plus. Truth told, the OP is probably right to be optimistic. Lol!

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What was the date of your actual order (not your reservation)? It's sad that your base Bronco order hasn't been filled in probably a year plus. Truth told, the OP is probably right to be optimistic. Lol!
3/9/21 originally, then updated 10/18/21 for MY22 requirements. I'll probably have to do that again for MY23. BUT, I moved the reservation (when it was allowed) to a dealer offering below invoice deals that Ford decided to limit allocations to.

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sas Badlands, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just be careful you might find out how fun the Bronco Sport truly is. I have 27k miles on my Badlands BS and it has quickly climbed the ranks of my all-time favorite vehicles I've owned. A little goat (small enough for the trails) off-road, great mileage that keeps getting better (quite a few trips averaging around 30 mpg and a lifetime average near 28 mpg. Your mileage may vary if you drive it hard(er)), and comfortable for long trips. And believe it or not, it gets a lot of attention. I owned a Raptor for 7 years and that got a lot of attention but this vehicle truly does get way more attention than non BS people realize. I had a full-size Bronco on order but finally cancelled and even though I'd still like to get one someday, I'm in no hurry anymore. The BL BS is doing just fine for me.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, my order would be a pretty basic Big Bend with the Mid package and a soft top, so I'm pretty confident it would be in by next Summer, barring other unforeseen circumstances.
I'm going to go against the crowd.

Bad plan.

4-door squish-top, non-SAS? Be built in 3-4 months.

Now if you were ordering something super hard to build like a 2-Door Base with a stick shift, that could take years.

But a fairly basic softie? Ford is building those at 3-4 times the actual order rate. That's pretty much a cut to the head of the line build.

Driving a temp for 5-6 months seems like a lose-lose proposition.

You after a stick or an automatic? Only possible reason I can think of to order a 4-door BB is because you are hell bent on a 4-door manual.

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, I’ve recently gotten a new job that pays really well and want to reward myself with my dream car: a Bronco. Unfortunately, full-size Broncos are being marked up right now on lots at ridiculous amounts.

So, I plan on ordering one. However, in the meantime, during my search for a Bronco, I found a great deal on a 2022 Bronco Sport at MSRP from a local small dealer.

I’m able to put down enough on the Sport that I would be financing 20,000. The only reason I’m considering this is because the order-to-delivery time on Broncos has been long and indefinite and new cars are holding their value incredibly well.

I would get the Sport, drive it lightly for a few months (I WFH), and then trade it in for a Bronco when it comes in.

Dumb decision? Has anyone else gotten an interim vehicle while waiting for their Bronco?
The Bronco Sport isn't going to get you top down off-roading. So if that's what you're after with the big Bronco, then for now get a new or used Wrangler.

Wranglers typically hold value rather well. And you get a year or more (maybe you end up not wanting a Bronco) of top down fun and exploring off-road.

That's the route I would recommend, you are wanting a big Bronco, so for now get an alternative in the same genre with similar functionality to use and enjoy.

royruiz

Black Diamond
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Basically doing the same but with a Subaru Crosstrek Sport. Know that I'm taking a loss but needed a ride to pick up kiddos. Bought the car thinking I would be waiting for a looong time, got a call 3 months later that the Bronco was scheduled for production on 6/20...its slipped to 6/27. Reliable used cars are crazy overpriced right now. Know, I'm going to take a loss but think it won't be too bad.

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, GT350, 991, Rubicon, Viper, Nissan Z32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would buy a Wrangler and not the Bronco Sport.

You get the top down, doors off fun with a better wheeling platform and probably better resale when the Big Bronco finally comes in.

The Jeep is FUN and available if you look around a little bit.

Now the Bronco Sport will be a better road going car. Better mileage, better hwy manners, etc.

But the Wrangler is a lot of fun.
Sponsored