Sponsored

Catatonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As Brian mentioned, they do have a gear position sensor and even shows the selected gear on the instrument cluster. In addition, if you have the Ford Performance tune, you can enable rev matching on downshifts which works incredibly well.
Huh? I can blip the throttle on downshifts and not use the clutch and I don't have the Performance tune. Just have to use your ears and listen to the engine pitch.
Sponsored

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Huh? I can blip the throttle on downshifts and not use the clutch and I don't have the Performance tune. Just have to use your ears and listen to the engine pitch.
Yes, I should have specified "auto" rev match with the tune.

Of course, if you know the vehicle well, you can upshift or downshift without the clutch...just have to be precise.

Catatonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes, I should have specified "auto" rev match with the tune.

Of course, if you know the vehicle well, you can upshift or downshift without the clutch...just have to be precise.
Auto! Oh how annoying! :)

Thanks for clarification. That makes sense.

Edit: I also want to say, for those auto trans owners wondering, even with my complaints about not being able to push start it, and the gravel rumble on cold start, the manual trans is incredibly enjoyable to drive. The shift throw, feel, everything about it is really, really good. The pull in second gear never gets old, and I love the way I can just stick it in crawler mode and let it idle up a steep hill while I step out and make a sandwich at the picnic table.

OP
OP
FloridaBurgBronco

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2013 F-150 XLT HDPP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great after action report! I'm glad you are ok & look to be taking the attitude of someone I knew growing up, which was "We are going to laugh about it someday, might as well start now" Not always easy to do :sneaky: .

I know it's easy to say you should have done this or that not having been there in the moment, but I think just letting out the clutch would have slowed if not stopped the vehicle in place, then it could have been sorted from there.

Best wishes getting it back together 🤠 .
Yep, thanks for your kind words, yes in retrospect, I think letting the clutch out was my only options at all really. Someone did recommend installing a larger vacuum reservior , so maybe I''ll look into that and check out that video they posted too, well one before that post. Thing is, I have been up probably a hundred or more hills similar to this one and never had an issue. My WTH mode wasn't 100%, that's for sure.

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As Brian mentioned, they do have a gear position sensor and even shows the selected gear on the instrument cluster. In addition, if you have the Ford Performance tune, you can enable rev matching on downshifts which works incredibly well.
Yep, I stand corrected. I’ve only driven 1 7 speed and didn’t notice the gear display on the cluster. And, yes, rev matching is cool. I’ve driven several Mustangs with it.

Sponsored

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry to hear this OP, this sounds like an all around terrifying shituation! Whether it was operator error, programming, mechanical failure, or a combination, @Ford Motor Company should definitely investigate this and put some resources towards finding the cause. For as many 6G Broncos that are actually being used off-road, as advertised, it would be beneficial for the entire community. Especially since a lot of this new BS has gone electronically assisted!

6glifter

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford fusion lightning and mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Glad the only thing that got hurt was pride that being said im a ford tech and I've watched the video over and over again and the driver put the truck into reverse you can see the tires go the opposite way when the 3 loud crunches happen and then when he hits the gas it just takes off in reverse and seeing the comments on the YouTube video he mentioned watching the reverse camera screen while he rolled down the hill and that camera option only works in reverse. I work at a dealership and do all the broncos we get whether it be simple stuff or full bolt on accessories. everybody's blaming programming or vacuum and swearing it's ford's fault but nobody notices the very obvious tires going in the wrong direction I'm curious to what dealership gets the car to look at I'd like to see the fdrs info that comes up for the crash event stored in the system but regardless mistakes happen and the car can get fixed so hopefully it's just a minor setback and a learning experience for those involved.

Rwhite692

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Blazer, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

.......the driver put the truck into reverse you can see the tires go the opposite way when the 3 loud crunches happen and then when he hits the gas it just takes off in reverse and seeing the comments on the YouTube video he mentioned watching the reverse camera screen while he rolled down the hill and that camera option only works in reverse.....
Agree. at 1:02-1:04 you can see the front wheels suddenly break traction and move in reverse direction, before the vehicle even starts moving backwards.

Alanp970

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4 Door Base Sasquatch Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Base
Glad the only thing that got hurt was pride that being said im a ford tech and I've watched the video over and over again and the driver put the truck into reverse you can see the tires go the opposite way when the 3 loud crunches happen and then when he hits the gas it just takes off in reverse and seeing the comments on the YouTube video he mentioned watching the reverse camera screen while he rolled down the hill and that camera option only works in reverse. I work at a dealership and do all the broncos we get whether it be simple stuff or full bolt on accessories. everybody's blaming programming or vacuum and swearing it's ford's fault but nobody notices the very obvious tires going in the wrong direction I'm curious to what dealership gets the car to look at I'd like to see the fdrs info that comes up for the crash event stored in the system but regardless mistakes happen and the car can get fixed so hopefully it's just a minor setback and a learning experience for those involved.
That's a good point that if he was using the rear view camera he had to be in reverse. You can also hear that telltale whine that tells me he had the clutch pushed in. So yes, mistakes were made but it's pretty scary that the vacuum boosted models can't hold themselves in a spot like this. And maybe that's asking too much but if they can't stop they should be able to slow it down considerably. This doesn't look like the brakes were working at all! I realize you're going to have much weaker brakes without boost but these seem to do almost nothing. Mine has scared me twice at slow speeds in parking lots. The first thing someone says after driving my Bronco is "Are the brakes supposed to be like that?" and that's when they are working normally. My dealer says there is nothing wrong but I'm convinced otherwise. I've owned many 4x4's on 35's before this so please don't think I'm a newbie. I think what happened here is the same thing that has happened to mine, only at a much more critical moment. Only time will tell but I think Ford has a big problem here.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Anyone who crawls with a std shift Bronco should read this thread. Being prepared for a similar situation is a big deal to prevent panic. Dumping the clutch in 1st gear and/or applying the parking brake would have at least slowed it down significantly. Engine would have rotated backwards but so what.
Also, A hand emergency brake would have been easier to use than the stupid electronic one.
All these computer controlled bells and whistles are not necessarily a good thing.
This!!!

Sorry OP that happened. It was completely avoidable.

Clutch in was the worst decision. You effectively put it in neutral, then not pumping the brakes.

It is dumb ford didn’t give the manuals a manual parking brake.

Then again my Corvette had an electronic one too, as do most new cars.

I assume you’ve never driven a manual braked car, aka no booster.

I wouldn’t have expected the vehicle to start either and would have prioritized getting it stopped, versus started.

Sponsored

BBQBennz

Black Diamond
First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2001 Z06 Vette
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wow, that seems like it could have ended much worse.
I have a 22 BDia with a MT Sasq. Keep us all posted on what you find was the culprit.

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Every one should actually test various scenarios of this to know how their bronco will react. I found a safe hill, came to a stop and shut off the bronco. Turned it back on in ACC mode without starting. Clutch in and on the brake it holds great. Pump the brakes about three times and all boost or brake assist is gone and the pedal is extremely stiff. I’ve had vehicles with no power brake before and it’s not the same. Stoppable but tough. Gain some speed and IDK. I had limited success restarting the bronco trying different variables rolling backwards. Didn’t want to push my luck figuring everything out on a public street. If you stall it out you won’t have any boost left. You’ll probably have hill assist braking till you start to mess with it.

Anyway it was eye opening and gave me some confidence for the future.

Letting the clutch out, preferably in a gear in the the correct direction of travel is also a good skill to learn. As well as getting more familiar with the parking/e-brake.

Last edited:

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

According to my insurance agent, collision would cover it. The fact it didn't happen on a road shouldn't matter, same as if he had hit a tree by the side of the road.
My view is that the owner caused the damage by choosing to go off roading and into the particular situation. Not saying it is intentional, but the outcome is the same. A damaged vehicle that the insurance company must pay thou$ands to replace. I can see their end of it. I have seen cases such as a tree that falls on a house. The company shows the owner knew the tree needed trimming or removal but failed to do so and the company refuses to pay out. What I guess I am saying is that insurance companies are looking at ways to get out of paying.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My view is that the owner caused the damage by choosing to go off roading and into the particular situation. Not saying it is intentional, but the outcome is the same. A damaged vehicle that the insurance company must pay thou$ands to replace. I can see their end of it. I have seen cases such as a tree that falls on a house. The company shows the owner knew the tree needed trimming or removal but failed to do so and the company refuses to pay out. What I guess I am saying is that insurance companies are looking at ways to get out of paying.
Collision coverage is for when the insured driver is at fault...so if the OP carries that coverage he should be covered. Doesn't matter how he ended up in an accident w/a tree...the tree's insurance IS NOT going to pay. That's why collision costs so much more!

TacosTuesday

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands 2dr 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
it's like taking a car to a race track for a track day... regular insurance, even with all the coverages, wouldn't cover any damage that happened when racing. i imagine this being basically the same, but i do wish all the luck to the owner and hope it does get covered.
Sponsored