MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone seen any mention of a hill start assist or a brake hold button? I’m gonna get the manual and it would be a big help if we got it.

I never thought I would need it/want it on a motorcycle and then I got a BMW K1600GTL and it’s like a damn dream being able to press down the front brake hard to lock the brakes up. Then when you take off and you get enough torque it releases. No more sliding back or having to hold the brakes at lights.
Sponsored

dirtyscab

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
I sincerely hope it doesn't have it, or that it lets you fully disable it. All it has ever done for me in a car is make hill starts jerky, slower, require more clutch slipping, and provide inconsistent behavior from the car. Sometimes a tiny incline makes it hold the brakes and I nearly stall the car. Sometimes a pretty steep one doesn't trigger it. If I put the transmission into gear before letting off the brake it holds, but if I let off the brake a smidge too quick for the car's liking it won't register that it's in gear yet and the brake hold is off when I'm expecting it.

The whole point of a manual is that car only does what I directly command it to. Foot off the brake means the brake is off. If for some reason I need brakes but I want to remove my foot, we have a wonderful invention called the parking brake.

I'm just ranting.. but please Ford let me turn it off. Even if it's an asinine button I have to hit every time I turn on the car like your auto start/stop buttons.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just want a clutch start cancel switch like my Tacoma has.

OP
OP
MVP

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I sincerely hope it doesn't have it, or that it lets you fully disable it. All it has ever done for me in a car is make hill starts jerky, slower, require more clutch slipping, and provide inconsistent behavior from the car. Sometimes a tiny incline makes it hold the brakes and I nearly stall the car. Sometimes a pretty steep one doesn't trigger it. If I put the transmission into gear before letting off the brake it holds, but if I let off the brake a smidge too quick for the car's liking it won't register that it's in gear yet and the brake hold is off when I'm expecting it.

The whole point of a manual is that car only does what I directly command it to. Foot off the brake means the brake is off. If for some reason I need brakes but I want to remove my foot, we have a wonderful invention called the parking brake.

I'm just ranting.. but please Ford let me turn it off. Even if it's an asinine button I have to hit every time I turn on the car like your auto start/stop buttons.
I don’t think you have to worry. I haven’t seen any mention of it. I have never driven a manual car with it. Only my motorcycle and it works perfectly every time. I just give a little more gas than I normally would.

spiG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 BD/20 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My Subaru has it and it is the worst thing in the world! Takes way to much gas to get it moving on even such a small incline. I can turn it off permanently but then i'm left with the traction control light on which just annoys me. Don't plan on getting the MT in the Bronco so the wife can drive but if I did that would be the last option i'd hope for.

Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It works like a dream in my 2015 Golf and it only holds for a few seconds so I can still roll back in gear if I need to. My 2012 Focus didn't have that feature so I don't know how Ford's execution is, but probably won't be too bad.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I would bet money the Bronco is going to have it. It worked perfect on my Focus ST. Great feature! You could disable it through the menus if you wanted.

TXRancher

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Put me in the Anti-Hill start group. Been driving a manual for decades and never found a need for it. In fact it was a hill start that set the bar for when I considered myself ready to drive a manual daily.

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are there any modern manual cars manufactured today that *don't* have hill start assist?

JKs have it, Toyotas have it, Honda and subaru have it. Who doesn't?

I would definitely count on the Bronco having it.

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think you will need the hill start feature, because Bronco doesn't offer a manual hand brake?

Sponsored

Casper

Badlands
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The hill start assist that's in my Fiesta st works fine. I personally don't like it because I expect the vehicle to roll back, when it doesn't it throws me off.

On the Fiesta st you disable it just like in the focus st. Through sync, go to the vehicle menu option and turn it off. No lights or anything to annoy you. Stays off minus the handful of times where it randomly flips on but I blame sync 2 for that. Sync 3 hasn't given me that issue.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have it on my 17 mustang. I live in hilly / mountain area, its a clutch life saver. its an option in the menus to use / disable.

I did read about the MT crawl gear not needing the clutch, but you still have to be stopped I think to take it out of C.

dirtyscab

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are there any modern manual cars manufactured today that *don't* have hill start assist?

Depends on your definition of modern I suppose. I've owned 5 2013+ model year vehicles and only 2 have had it. Only my Fiats, and on my 500 it had an option to disable so I did that the second I bought it so I don't know how acceptable it is.

It works like a dream in my 2015 Golf and it only holds for a few seconds so I can still roll back in gear if I need to. My 2012 Focus didn't have that feature so I don't know how Ford's execution is, but probably won't be too bad.
My first experience with hill hold was a friend's TDI Jetta and he hated it with a passion. The only one I've been forced to use is in my 124 Spider and it cuts off the brake hold at very high clutch travel. Either have to start building revs, roasting the clutch, not moving, and buck hard like you're doing clutch dumps, or release the clutch enough to kick the brakes off and stall the car. After like a year of dealing with it I've been able to work around it and make it driveable, but now I'm probably going to have to relearn how to drive once I get a new vehicle that lets me turn it off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MVP

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I have never owned a manual car so I wasn’t sure if it was common to have it. That’s good to know.

I drive heavy machinery for work so I’m constantly pressing brakes and gas all day at work. I’m hoping with the manual that I don’t have to stress my knees by holding the brakes all of the time on hills.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just want a clutch start cancel switch like my Tacoma has.
Yep with that crawler gear just start it in gear. I use to do this all the time in my XJ with an 80/1 crawl ratio. The Bonco advertises 94/1.
Sponsored