Sponsored

Bronco not shifting out of four wheel drive.

4x4fun

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Months ago while test driving my bronco, when trying to get out of 4 wheel drive & back into 2HI couldn't. My sales guy did a few things and was able to get it into 2H & I was able to take it home. This past Saturday I went back to the dealer to get it looked at to see if it was a weird one time quirk or it something more serious.. Well while he was test driving it, it again would not go out of four wheel drive& back into 2H. The check engine light came on and all the amber lights on the goat mode selector started flashing. This time we were unsuccessful getting it into 2H & I had to leave it at the dealership. Any thoughts? Has anyone heard of this happening before?
Sponsored

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
this is exactly why I hate electronic shifting. Should be a mechanical shifter. If it happens on trail in mid obstacle you are screwed. Im sure its an electronic failure somewhere in system.

OP
OP

4x4fun

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

this is exactly why I hate electronic shifting. Should be a mechanical shifter. If it happens on trail in mid obstacle you are screwed. Im sure its an electronic failure somewhere in system.
It was my fault for waiting to get it back into the dealer. I only have 14,000 miles on it. At least its still under warranty. :) Sure hope it is something simply & service can actually get the parts needed to get it fixed.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does your Big Bend have the Sasquatch? Just curious if it is related the advanced transfer case.

OP
OP

4x4fun

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

No sasquatch,I did add the rear locker.

* UPDATE - Service manager just called. I need a new four wheel drive module. Its ordered but of course theres no eta. :cautious:

*NOTE/ADVICE - Test drive your four wheel drive when taking delivery of your bronco.

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
this is exactly why I hate electronic shifting. Should be a mechanical shifter.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/transfer-case-lever-broken-or-worse.907689/

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/broken-transfer-case-linkage-repair.1392369/

https://www.jk-forum.com/how-tos/a/jeep-wrangler-jk-how-to-repair-transfer-case-shift-linkage-407883

https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/4-wheel-drive-lever-broken.1090607/

https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/broke-4-wheel-drive-shift-lever-95-yj.3241841/

Not saying an electric shift motor is bullet-proof, but neither is a "mechanical" lever.

If it happens on trail in mid obstacle you are screwed. Im sure its an electronic failure somewhere in system.
Why does being stuck in 4wd mid-obstacle hurt?

OP
OP

4x4fun

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

UPDATE : Got a call from the dealer this morning saying the new four wheel drive module was installed and my vehicle is ready. Went up this afternoon, test drove it in the parking lot again. Did the same thing, goat mode selector all lights flash & powertrain malfunction on the ford pass app & won't go back into 2H. Service tech said the new module @Ford Motor Company sent was bad. So now I'm waiting on a 2nd replacement module. :rolleyes:

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It was my fault for waiting to get it back into the dealer. I only have 14,000 miles on it. At least its still under warranty. :) Sure hope it is something simply & service can actually get the parts needed to get it fixed.
Something similar happened to me about a month after I took possession. Was off road, near Boca Reservoir (Truckee, CA), when I wanted to try the trail turn assist. Tapped the button, shifted to 4L and performed a right turn. Worked as advertised. Then I tried to shift back to 4A or 2H. No dice. Was stuck in 4L. Tried just about everything (changing GOAT modes, pressing 2H, 4A). Finally I just disconnected the battery. Fixed. That was 8 months ago. Never had the problem again.

Now looking back, I think I might not have tapped the trail turn assist button (to turn it off). LOL. :oops:

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Great links, some of those models that have been out of production for roughly 20 years (none current), and fixes that cost $1 to $100.

"Hardware that fit perfectly and fastened it will a 1/4" e-clip. Total cost: $1.05."

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
UPDATE : Got a call from the dealer this morning saying the new four wheel drive module was installed and my vehicle is ready. Went up this afternoon, test drove it in the parking lot again. Did the same thing, goat mode selector all lights flash & powertrain malfunction on the ford pass app & won't go back into 2H. Service tech said the new module @Ford Motor Company sent was bad. So now I'm waiting on a 2nd replacement module. :rolleyes:
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.
Sponsored