Sponsored

Bronco Owners Invited by Ford to Exclusive Solar Eclipse Event. Blackout Package reveal for Bronco Raptor

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That price is insane. Who pays someone $2,000 to camp?
Like @EasternSierra mentioned, most camping and airbnbs in the area were booked long ago for the eclipse. Its actually not a bad idea to open their land for viewers at a cost because there are people paying silly amounts of money right now for tickets to viewing festivals or places to stay. With that said I would consider letting people camp in my backyard for $1500 which is a $500 savings for you eclipse travelers.
Sponsored

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Like @EasternSierra mentioned, most camping and airbnbs in the area were booked long ago for the eclipse. Its actually not a bad idea to open their land for viewers at a cost because there are people paying silly amounts of money right now for tickets to viewing festivals or places to stay. With that said I would consider letting people camp in my backyard for $1500 which is a $500 savings for you eclipse travelers.
Saw the 2017 eclipse from my back yard. It was cool and all but not sure why anybody would want to travel and pay $2K to see one. It wasn’t *THAT* cool. I guess maybe because we all have seen a zillion pics and videos ever since we were kids in school it kind of dampened the “wow” factor a little for me.

side note: actually - it was cool both figuratively and literally. They never mention in the school books just how fast the temperature drops when that sun blacks out just for those few minutes. That was probably the biggest surprise for me.

If you go…..bring a sweater.

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Saw the 2017 eclipse from my back yard. It was cool and all but not sure why anybody would want to travel and pay $2K to see one. It wasn’t *THAT* cool. I guess maybe because we all have seen a zillion pics and videos ever since we were kids in school it kind of dampened the “wow” factor a little for me.

side note: actually - it was cool both figuratively and literally. They never mention in the school books just how fast the temperature drops when that sun blacks out just for those few minutes. That was probably the biggest surprise for me.

Yea for the one last year, our group drove into the Playa and camped… for free. But I guess we are all spoiled with public land out west. I feel for y’all!

retiredarmymp

Badlands
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Joking aside, I'm curious to see if there's anything of value here, outside of things folks have already done to black out their Bronco's, with minimal time and cost.
It’s about the experience, and the unique opportunity, not the value!

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What's "camping", though? Are we talking about sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag, or semi-permanent cabin/tents with beds? Seems like that would be good to know if you're paying that much money...

In any case, the eclipse is definitely something everyone should see once in their lifetime. I got to go up to Wyoming in '17 and it was extremely cool. We made it a whole trip, with the family all renting motor homes and staying at a KOA and having a family reunion of sorts. Then I took my own family on a western road trip for a few days and saw lots of great stuff.

This is a cool thing Ford is doing. Sure, it's expensive, but so is traveling anywhere to see the eclipse. If I had never seen one (and neglected to make plans for this one well in advance), it would definitely be something I would consider!

Sponsored

EasternSierra

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I found it amazing, though I had a better vantage point being on the edge of a high plateau with a tremendous view. The actual eclipsed sun itself is pretty cool as you mention.

Still, what astounded me, and what's never fully captured by photos and videos, is the unusual twilight that comes on all around and only in totality. The area of darkness in the region of totality where you are is backlit by far-off direct but dim sunlight. The colors and atmosphere are like nothing else I've ever seen. To me it was incredibly beautiful and magical. YMMV.

Within moments of the sun's disk poking out from behind the moon the magical light was gone and there was no way to get it back, even though the eclipse was still at 99.9%. I can see why people become eclipse chasers. Wish I could have gone this time but life got in the way.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I saw the 2017 eclipse from a friend's front yard, five hour drive down from Chicago to Carbondale Illinois (near southern tip of the state). Fantastic view and really cool - I'd recommend catching the next one if you can.

Sadly the people gathered watching from nearby Southern Illinois University stadium I think had clouds roll over just at the wrong time and they missed a clear view. So you might want to be mobile and able to quickly hop in your Bronco last minute to change locations depending on the weather.

A photo I took at totality:
Ford Bronco Bronco Owners Invited by Ford to Exclusive Solar Eclipse Event. Blackout Package reveal for Bronco Raptor 1709242519899

Last edited:

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

2 grand for 4 people, breaks down to $500 per person, which is about in line with the basic "half day" course they've been selling. And you still never got to use your own Bronco, or camp on site. The $500/person is all meals and guided wheeling for 2 days? Seems a much much better deal than what they've previously sold.

That said, I still don't have $500 or 3 friends to go with me :LOL: at least not yet.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I found it amazing, though I had a better vantage point being on the edge of a high plateau with a tremendous view. The actual eclipsed sun itself is pretty cool as you mention.

Still, what astounded me, and what's never fully captured by photos and videos, is the unusual twilight that comes on all around and only in totality. The area of darkness in the region of totality where you are is backlit by far-off direct but dim sunlight. The colors and atmosphere are like nothing else I've ever seen. To me it was incredibly beautiful and magical. YMMV.

Within moments of the sun's disk poking out from behind the moon the magical light was gone and there was no way to get it back, even though the eclipse was still at 99.9%. I can see why people become eclipse chasers. Wish I could have gone this time but life got in the way.
100% true. The "twilight" surrounds you, all 360* of the horizon. It's like being on some strange planet from Star Trek. And it's amazing how much light even the smallest amount of sun emits. Even down to the last tiny pinhead of sun, it was still basically daylight. The instant that spot disappeared, it was like someone hit the dimmer switch all the way down.

A couple of other bizarre things you'll notice: All the animals go quiet. Birds don't fly, insects don't chirp, and dogs don't bark. And probably the weirdest thing is that the wind stops blowing! It was a pretty breezy day up in Wyoming, yet during the totality it was absolutely dead calm. As soon as the sun peeked back out, the wind started up again, just like it had been. I don't understand the science behind that one at all...
Sponsored