Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

:oops: !! How in the hell are you calm enough to make this post?

So sorry about this, but glad that driver was foolish enough to admit. Well, bad that your Braptor is gone; well this one. But the sun is shining on you bud! You got hit by a commercial truck and I know you’re injured in some way; just in shock right now.

Tomorrow morning, call your lawyer and let’s let things play out; bet you’ll be fine. Don’t forget to make a doctor’s appointment in the morning also.

So happy you’re not badly hurt, but that looks like it left a mark and you’ll be sore for sure.

That Braptor is a beast! Maybe not totaled either if no frame damage.
This happened over 9 hours ago and I'm buzzing still on an adrenaline high. Blood pressure was 187/89 when the paramedics arrived. It finally came down about 4 hours later. I agree on the other driver, he was super nice and I feel terrible about the situation for him, but it was completely avoidable. He literally said to me "I saw you coming clear as day, I just thought you were a lot further away than you were". He literally put that in his statement to the police so I'm expecting this to be pretty open and shut.

Definitely sore as hell but I'm counting my blessings. The last thing I remember before I came to a stop was the vehicle trying to fishtail, and as I was diagonal seeing three semis coming right at me. I was able to wrestle it back straight otherwise I probably would have been human toothpaste as they would have had no room to pass and no time to fully stop.

Used to work for an insurance company. Granted I worked on the engineering side of insurance so I know nothing about insurance itself, BUT I made a lot of friends along the way who taught me more about insurance than I care to know.

This is a job for your insurance company and the other driver's insurance company to handle. Lots of people will suggest to involve a lawyer, but WAY too early for that at this stage. Let the insurance companies figure it out, and if you are unhappy after the dust settles... THEN you can visit the idea of involving a lawyer.

Glad you're alright!! That looked like a wild ride.
Ironically, I am not so new to this situation. I own a commercial property that gets hit fairly often. It's gotten to the point where I don't even go through my insurance anymore. I called them anyway as this is the first time I've been involved in a vehicular accident, and they basically suggested the same thing you just said.

My biggest concern in all of this is if they can actually repair it, will the repair be acceptable? I'm never going to get that off off of the Carfax history, and I'm personally concerned about any underlying damage that might not be found or repaired properly but doesn't rear its head for several thousand miles.
Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Seriously. I'm really hoping that the highway patrol will give me the crash footage, I really don't think the pictures do the situation justice. I am thoroughly impressed with how well it held up given the speeds.

Alright that might have been a bit of an adrenaline post. I haven't stopped pacing my floor since I got home... It felt like a lot longer than 50 ft but maybe it was only about 20? Regardless, when he started coming into my lane we were all traveling about 65mph with cars on all sides and I was sliding once the raptor slipped free of the concrete truck.
Probably more than 50 feet.... You were traveling at 95 feet per second if you were doing 65 miles per hour.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My biggest concern in all of this is if they can actually repair it, will the repair be acceptable? I'm never going to get that off off of the Carfax history, and I'm personally concerned about any underlying damage that might not be found or repaired properly but doesn't rear its head for several thousand miles.
They cant even build them let alone have sufficient inventory to fix them if its even fixable. I would place a good wager they will total it due to lack of parts, time to get parts, or just plain out too much damage. Just make sure to work with the insurance so to get a at market replacement value because they keep going up along with even obtaining one.

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Seriously. I'm really hoping that the highway patrol will give me the crash footage, I really don't think the pictures do the situation justice. I am thoroughly impressed with how well it held up given the speeds.

Alright that might have been a bit of an adrenaline post. I haven't stopped pacing my floor since I got home... It felt like a lot longer than 50 ft but maybe it was only about 20? Regardless, when he started coming into my lane we were all traveling about 65mph with cars on all sides and I was sliding once the raptor slipped free of the concrete truck.
There’s actually footage / video of your crash?

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Great that you are okay, helped to have a full framed truck under you and it did you well.

That said, get a lawyer ASAP. Do not talk to their insurance. Tell them to contact your lawyer PERIOD. I've had a commercial license for years and though I've not had an accident outside of backing my boat into a new car ($1,000.00 kiss), I do everything possible to avoid traffic because a good lawyer will tear a commercial vehicle apart.

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yikes.. glad you’re okay.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

i'm thinking totaled because of frame damage at the front and rear axles. Good news is, there are a loot of Raptors around because dealer mark-up is at 20-50K. Let them buy you a new one and deliver it to you.

Alfa

Wildtrak
First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Glad you weren't hurt.

Unfortunately I have been through this a couple of times in the 18 months. Your Raptor is likely totaled for all the reasons people have mentioned.

The key to remember is that your Raptor is worth the current market value, not what you paid for it. Make it your hobby to find Raptors for sale, same year, options, color mileage, etc., within 75-100 miles from you. Autotrader, cars.com, car gurus, etc. Don't get fooled by Raptors listed for MSRP that really are not available. Keep this list updated. The other insurance company will use a 3rd party service for determining the value of your Raptor to keep it "unbiased". This company works for the insurance company, so it is not really unbiased. Keep sending them the list of comparable Raptors in your area. You will have to point out differences to them repeatedly.

Both times the other insurance company tried to show me vehicles that were 1000-1500 miles away because there were too few comparable vehicles in my area. I kept at it. First vehicle I received $7k more than the original offer. Second over $10k. Most people just take the offer thinking that they cannot negotiate.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Krieger

Krieger

Raptor
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Not sure who you use for insurance but with USAA all I have done in the past is give them the accident report and if I have it the other person's insurance info and they take care of everything!

I will say it's only been fender benders and nothing as crazy as what you just went thru so if there's any injuries or potential injuries I'd get them documented quickly. I'm glad everyone walked away, you didn't mention if kids were with you but car seat is shown on passenger side with the busted window so hopefully not.
No kids today, thank God! While I think they would have been fine, my little one definitely would have been showered with glass and terrified for the rest of her life.

Seeing the car seat in the back just reminds you of how precious time is on this earth. Well being is priceless... so although the Braptor is in rough shape, the good news is it did it's job with the precious cargo inside.

The rest of this process is cake walk now that everyone is out safe and healthy. Let your insurance and theirs figure it out... you may get a totaled car and not have to worry about anything except if you want the same car again. Lots more Braptors at dealerships nowawadays just sitting so you may get a reasonable deal.

Glad you are safe and the best part is the driver of the other truck was honest about the accident. Lots in your favor besides healthy family.
Had no idea the Braptor market had chilled out. Sadly my interest rate will definitely be higher than what I got in December so that would probably be a wash.

It could have been worse (says the guy whose 21 F-150 was totaled on the frwy 6 weeks ago). You're alive and uninjured. And you can always get another vehicle.

Unless you are injured (which it doesn't sound like you were), then do NOT hire an attorney. Report to your insurance company and let them handle it. Hiring an attorney to handle the PD claim will do nothing for you except cost you 30% of the settlement. Attorneys are for the injury side, not the PD side. *I am not an attorney, this is not legal advice...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I will say this. I am absolutely amazed at how well these new model Fords hold up to high speed accidents. By all rights, I should no longer be drawing breath. But here I am, with minor injuries and needing a new vehicle (thankfully we had ordered a Bronco back in March),

Sorry about your truck. That f*cking sucks and I completely feel your pain.
Thanks for the kind words! Sorry you are speaking from experience but glad you're speaking!

OP
OP
Krieger

Krieger

Raptor
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Dude! My younger sister was a DIE hard fan of the movie Cars as a kid. She's a total car nut now, and she was my first stop on the way home from the dealership lot because she's Bronco crazy and had just gotten her license a couple months prior.

I texted her that same picture today alongside this one and said "This picture is so sad looking. She looks like when Lightning trashed himself trying to win the race 😔"

Thanks for the laugh 😅

Screenshot_20230821_190759_Brave.jpg

st3v

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I hate to say this…but get a lawyer and do it NOW.

the company that the driver works for will not like this. But do it and do not talk to their insurance agent without one. Period.
You don't need to get a lawyer. Just report to your own insurance company. They will take care of it and they will get payment from the cement truck company insurance.

OP
OP
Krieger

Krieger

Raptor
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

There’s actually footage / video of your crash?
I'm actually not certain. Apparently the express lanes are owned and operated by a private company which is something I did not learn until today from the officer (they beat him there). He did also tell me that there are cameras all over the express lanes but getting the footage is like pulling teeth. He did give me the card of the person who showed up that works for the express lanes but so far they have not returned my call.

Glad you're OK. Cars can be replaced. This is why a dash cam is one of the first things I add to my vehicles.
Do it! I got analysis paralysis over them about 4 months ago and never ordered - I work remotely and spend maybe 2 days every 3 months on the highway 🤦

So I'm kicking myself now. I have friends who have worked as adjusters and they say in a case like this it wouldn't make a difference anyway because of all the evidence and the driver admitting fault, but it would certainly make me feel better.
Sponsored