Sponsored

BUGS & Flat Windshield - best windshield fluid? Best glass cleaning brush?

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was skeptical at first, but Scrubblade wipers really work in conjunction with good fluid.
Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Questions:
Whats the best liquid windshield cleaner for use while driving?
I've tested every washer fluid I could find for my plane searching for what works and what doesn't. It's a pretty big deal (for me, at least) because I stir up a lot of bugs and sometimes fly into my own spray, and I really need visibility to make sure I don't fly through a set of powerlines or whatever else might be out there in the field. During the busy season I go through a gallon every few days or so, which puts me in a good position to test them side by side. RainX bug remover works the best for bugs and leaves the least amount of smearing, but there's a caveat...you need to use it as soon as the bugs hit. For the most part, none of the washer fluids work good for dried up crusty smears, that's going to require scrubbing the windshield after you get stopped. The only exception there was this off-brand stuff I found at a Casey's in Illinois called "splash" in a blue bottle, and it was able to power through some of the dried up smears...but it didn't work as well in other situations. What really surprised me though is that the Krystal Kleer stuff performed worse than straight up water.

I've given a couple of the ultra concentrated mixes a try, as it seemed way more cost effective with as much as I go through, but I didn't have much luck with them. If you mix it twice as concentrated, they work better than RainX, but they also leave tons of residue and foam on the windshield. The BugOff brand would be the one I'd recommend if you're looking for a concentrate, it was the best of them.

The downside to using RainX green and the concentrates is that they leave residue on the windshield where the wipers don't reach, it collects on your side windows right by the mirror, and if you have a front cam it might make the image somewhat cloudy...whereas some of the other fluids like Krystal Kleer hardly leave much more residue than water would, because they're basically water. In a broad sense, if the stuff looks clear in the bottle, it won't leave residue and won't clean well; if it looks cloudy, it'll leave residue and clean well.

Whats the best brush for when you are stopped?
Whatever squeegee brush looks the least clapped out at the gas station LOL
I just use it to get most of the bugs off before I clean the windshield with my own stuff, because 9/10 times the squeegee is dirty or damaged and leaves stupid streaks all over the windshield anyway. The best way to knock out the bugs that are left is to use a microfiber cloth with a waffle weave.

Look for this type or one similar to it:
https://www.amazon.com/BugSlide-Microfiber-Cleaning-Motorcycle-Scratching/dp/B0090PMDA6

Use RainX cleaner with the rag if you want to keep the water beading working well.
https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-630168-Glass-Water-Repellent-Aerosol/dp/B08VL6HQGP

I use this stuff on my plane because it works better than the RainX cleaner. It removes the water beading treatment but I don't really care in this case, I just want to spend less time on the ground cleaning my window and more time in the air.
https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Plastic-Cleaner-Aviation-Laboratories/dp/B003ZZXASG

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was skeptical at first, but Scrubblade wipers really work in conjunction with good fluid.
Nice, I've run across them before but never paid much attention. Do they last as long as a quality wiper blade?

That reminds me, do you remember those wiper blades that had a built in scrubber sponge that deployed when you used the washer fluid? The sponge stayed retracted until you hit the fluid pump, and then it would extend the sponge down via hydraulic pressure, lifting the wiper blades off the windshield, and allow the fluid to pass through the sponge. Once you turned the washer pump off, the pressure would bleed off and the wiper blades would come back down and be the only thing touching the window again, acting just like a normal wiper. Basically you were able to physically scrub the window while driving and then squeegee it off when you removed the bugs. It was a really cool idea but I don't know how it turned out in practice, with visibility probably being a factor when the sponge was doing its job on the highway. I mean, if it totally blinded you for 15 seconds, that would really suck, but you could also just stop on the shoulder and clean your windshield without getting out, then take off when you were done. I guess they could be resurrected these days by using an electric linear actuator instead of fluid pressure to drop the sponge, giving you the choice of whether you spray or scrub or use both together.

Couldn't find any product images, but I did find the patent:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5778483A/en

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice, I've run across them before but never paid much attention. Do they last as long as a quality wiper blade?

That reminds me, do you remember those wiper blades that had a built in scrubber sponge that deployed when you used the washer fluid? The sponge stayed retracted until you hit the fluid pump, and then it would extend the sponge down via hydraulic pressure, lifting the wiper blades off the windshield, and allow the fluid to pass through the sponge. Once you turned the washer pump off, the pressure would bleed off and the wiper blades would come back down and be the only thing touching the window again, acting just like a normal wiper. Basically you were able to physically scrub the window while driving and then squeegee it off when you removed the bugs. It was a really cool idea but I don't know how it turned out in practice, with visibility probably being a factor when the sponge was doing its job on the highway. I mean, if it totally blinded you for 15 seconds, that would really suck, but you could also just stop on the shoulder and clean your windshield without getting out, then take off when you were done. I guess they could be resurrected these days by using an electric linear actuator instead of fluid pressure to drop the sponge, giving you the choice of whether you spray or scrub or use both together.

Couldn't find any product images, but I did find the patent:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5778483A/en
Haha. No. That sounds like some Jetsonā€™s type shit.

Honestly, it was the only aftermarket wiper that was available after my OEM failed after 6-8 months (streaky). I too am diligent about spray/wipe as soon as the bugs hit. Along with ceramic coating, my glass is pretty clear all summer long.

At first I was skeptical of the Scrubblades. Sorta infomercial-like and a tad bulky. But, Iā€™ve been running them for almost a year. Thereā€™s been zero sign of wear and they do a great job of clearing bugs and other gunk with just a few swipes.

They did well in snow/ice/salt too.

cpmartin1999

Badlands
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 2020 VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drove 4 hours through the central valley of California.
The windshield and front of the car were completely covered in bugs.

I would not be able to see, if I didnt keep spraying the windshield.
* the factory liquid didnt do anything, its like water.

I never experienced this with any other car!

Questions:
Whats the best liquid windshield cleaner for use while driving?

Whats the best brush for when you are stopped?

THANKS!

Screenshot 2023-04-11 134617.jpg

Screenshot 2023-04-11 134723.jpg
use the traditional "RainX" window treatment. its NOT wasjer fluid, its a spray and wipe on, let dry, wipe off treatment that makes the window super slippery, they advertise it as making water slide off and you dont need to use your wipers but thats not the reason for us, it will make thse bugs come off very easy, even after a long trip, windshield full of bugs, a quick wipe with the wipers and whatever washer fluid you have will wipe away the bugs! been using it for a year and its great, needs reapplied about 1 per month!!
https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-Ounce...ocphy=1015561&hvtargid=pla-828398705992&psc=1

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Haha. No. That sounds like some Jetsonā€™s type shit.

Honestly, it was the only aftermarket wiper that was available after my OEM failed after 6-8 months (streaky). I too am diligent about spray/wipe as soon as the bugs hit. Along with ceramic coating, my glass is pretty clear all summer long.

At first I was skeptical of the Scrubblades. Sorta infomercial-like and a tad bulky. But, Iā€™ve been running them for almost a year. Thereā€™s been zero sign of wear and they do a great job of clearing bugs and other gunk with just a few swipes.

They did well in snow/ice/salt too.
Right? I thought it was awesome when I first heard about it and figured I'd be seeing them everywhere, but I guess it flopped and disappeared into obscurity. Maybe it's time I bring them to market with some upgrades, it looks like the patent expired in 2017.

You've got me interested...guess I'll buy a set and test them out. If they work even a tiny bit better than a normal blade with bugs, that would make a huge difference. Might just replace all my wiper blades if that's the case.

use the traditional "RainX" window treatment.
All of the RainX products provide the same treatment, including the washer fluid and windshield cleaner. If you apply it using the stuff you posted or the windshield cleaner, the washer fluid will maintain it. The washer fluid by itself will only reliably treat the areas that your wiper blades touch, because they provide a consistent application compared to the rest of the windshield. Scrubbing your window at a gas station that uses a cleaning solution in their bucket will eventually remove the treatment, as it's wax based and the soap washes it off.

Since their patent expired, a lot of other brands have popped up with the same treatment, most of them work just as well.

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This cut down the amount of bugs and rocks hitting my window by probably 90%.
Ford Bronco BUGS & Flat Windshield - best windshield fluid? Best glass cleaning brush? 20221227_150228

Ford Bronco BUGS & Flat Windshield - best windshield fluid? Best glass cleaning brush? 20221227_150307

cpmartin1999

Badlands
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right? I thought it was awesome when I first heard about it and figured I'd be seeing them everywhere, but I guess it flopped and disappeared into obscurity. Maybe it's time I bring them to market with some upgrades, it looks like the patent expired in 2017.

You've got me interested...guess I'll buy a set and test them out. If they work even a tiny bit better than a normal blade with bugs, that would make a huge difference. Might just replace all my wiper blades if that's the case.

All of the RainX products provide the same treatment, including the washer fluid and windshield cleaner. If you apply it using the stuff you posted or the windshield cleaner, the washer fluid will maintain it. The washer fluid by itself will only reliably treat the areas that your wiper blades touch, because they provide a consistent application compared to the rest of the windshield. Scrubbing your window at a gas station that uses a cleaning solution in their bucket will eventually remove the treatment, as it's wax based and the soap washes it off.

Since their patent expired, a lot of other brands have popped up with the same treatment, most of them work just as well.
i have used the wiper fluid, it didnt work the same, when you say "wax based" that seems more like the original stuff i use, you apply it just like a wax, rub it on, wait for it to dry to a haze, then buff it off. If you havent used it you may not believe how it works, i probably never would have tried it except a car detailer used it on my cars in the 90's and thats how i became a believer, the original still last through a couple washings.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

i have used the wiper fluid, it didnt work the same, when you say "wax based" that seems more like the original stuff i use, you apply it just like a wax, rub it on, wait for it to dry to a haze, then buff it off. If you havent used it you may not believe how it works, i probably never would have tried it except a car detailer used it on my cars in the 90's and thats how i became a believer, the original still last through a couple washings.
It's actually a silicone oil, a very specialized viscoelastic oil, but it's effectively like a wax. Almost identical to the "water wetter" products used for coolant. I remember back in the 90's when it first got popular (it's been around since the 70's though), those little single use moist towelette things were the only option. Everyone used them reverently, as if they were imbued with magical powers LOL

They've made advancements in how you can apply it to the windshield, the washer fluid isn't ideal but it does work. It's more of a maintenance application than an initial application. They even have stuff that you can add to whatever washer fluid you want to give it a RainX treatment. It's just a matter of getting the right carrier and buffers to protect the active ingredient until application and making sure it deposits and coats the windshield properly.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored

cpmartin1999

Badlands
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's actually a silicone oil, a very specialized viscoelastic oil, but it's effectively like a wax. Almost identical to the "water wetter" products used for coolant. I remember back in the 90's when it first got popular (it's been around since the 70's though), those little single use moist towelette things were the only option. Everyone used them reverently, as if they were imbued with magical powers LOL

They've made advancements in how you can apply it to the windshield, the washer fluid isn't ideal but it does work. It's more of a maintenance application than an initial application. They even have stuff that you can add to whatever washer fluid you want to give it a RainX treatment. It's just a matter of getting the right carrier and buffers to protect the active ingredient until application and making sure it deposits and coats the windshield properly.
Nice, well seems there is technology now to make window slick!! Good info!!

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After road trips in the summer I have to use a razor blade and window cleaner to get all the splatter off. Luckily it's not a huge issue where I'm at but every time I stop during said trips I have to use the windshield scrubber at the gas station.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

After road trips in the summer I have to use a razor blade and window cleaner to get all the splatter off. Luckily it's not a huge issue where I'm at but every time I stop during said trips I have to use the windshield scrubber at the gas station.
There's a certain time of year out here crossing the Pecos that these mayfly looking things come out in clouds. You can hit the washer and clean them off fairly easy, but by the time the wipers shut down after a quick squirt, so many more have hit the windshield that the wipers smear them all over and its nasty again. It's the kind of drive where you stop at every gas station to use the scrubber on the windshield and headlights before proceeding to the next town.
1/10 experience
Do not recommend

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This works for fat, greasy bugs when they get dried on.

Ford Bronco BUGS & Flat Windshield - best windshield fluid? Best glass cleaning brush? IMG_2205