Sponsored

Windshield Fluid Leak - Line Not Hooked Up?

bniknar

Big Bend
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An old EcoDriver
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hi,

After having my Windshield replaced I noticed that the windshield wiper sprayer isn't working. I thought it may be clogged but it looks like the fluid reservoir is empty...so I added some fluid (I didn't have much, only about a quart but good enough for a test). All good until I started the ignition and tried to spray wiper fluid - it immediately all leaked out! It came out along the body, dropping on the ground. This is a view just back of the right front tire - the arrow points to where the drips came from (it was a stream while it lasted).

Ford Bronco Windshield Fluid Leak - Line Not Hooked Up? IMG_0755

Looking under the hood, the area close to under the windshield is wet with wiper fluid:

Ford Bronco Windshield Fluid Leak - Line Not Hooked Up? IMG_0756

So: I suspect that, when the windshield was replaced that the wiper fluid line like wasn't hooked up correctly. Before I go back to the dealership I'd like to see if I can find the leak and fix it myself (the first dealer appt is in two weeks). I will need to remove the plastic piece at the base of the windshield that houses the windshield wipers- the long piece:

Ford Bronco Windshield Fluid Leak - Line Not Hooked Up? IMG_0757

Does anybody know how to remove this housing? And how to remove the wiper arms? I'm not a mechanic but can follow a recipe. Anybody removed this before?

Thanks.
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi,

After having my Windshield replaced I noticed that the windshield wiper sprayer isn't working. I thought it may be clogged but it looks like the fluid reservoir is empty...so I added some fluid (I didn't have much, only about a quart but good enough for a test). All good until I started the ignition and tried to spray wiper fluid - it immediately all leaked out! It came out along the body, dropping on the ground. This is a view just back of the right front tire - the arrow points to where the drips came from (it was a stream while it lasted).

Looking under the hood, the area close to under the windshield is wet with wiper fluid:

So: I suspect that, when the windshield was replaced that the wiper fluid line like wasn't hooked up correctly. Before I go back to the dealership I'd like to see if I can find the leak and fix it myself (the first dealer appt is in two weeks). I will need to remove the plastic piece at the base of the windshield that houses the windshield wipers- the long piece:

Does anybody know how to remove this housing? And how to remove the wiper arms? I'm not a mechanic but can follow a recipe. Anybody removed this before?

Thanks.
Well I'd take it to the guy who installed it and say what the heck? Or take it to a dealer for warranty work.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMG_0757.jpg

The removal and installation procedures for the Cowl Panel Grille and the Windshield Wiper Pivot Arm are attached below...

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP

bniknar

Big Bend
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An old EcoDriver
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The removal and installation procedures for the Cowl Panel Grille and the Windshield Wiper Pivot Arm are attached below...
Thanks! Can you also attach "Windshield Wiper Pivot Arm (501-16 Wipers and Washers, Removal and Installation)" - it's not clear to me how to remove them. Really appreciate this!

Murfman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WildTrak, Cyber Orange soft top
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Same thing happened to me. The barb fitting is near the antenna, under the cowl. You can take the antenna off and gently pry the cowl up and reconnect it, without having to take off the wipers.

Sponsored

Dingbat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars, bikes, canoes, sailboats…
Your Bronco Model
Base
Throw a zip tie on it for good measure. In other vehicles I’ve run into the line not wanting to stay seated once it had been pulled off the barb and put back on. Would blow off first or second time I’d use it until securing it with the zip tie.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Interesting that your is manifesting this way, I got the exact same leaking problem 2 days ago. Turns out, the plastic weld on the washer bottle is failing and leaking it all onto the ground pretty quickly.

I've got a road trip coming up in 2 days, so the service manager and I agreed that until the part comes in and they can replace under warranty, to just JBWeld it closed and when the parts come in, it'll get swapped.

OP
OP

bniknar

Big Bend
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An old EcoDriver
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Fixed! Thanks everybody for your suggestions, in particular @Dingbat and @Razorbak86 - the solution I went with was to take the antenna off and gently pry the cowl up. The windshield hose was hanging loose when it should have been connected to a barb fitting. I pushed the hose tightly into the barb fitting - worked like a charm. No more leak. I suspect it just wasn't reconnected when the windshield was reinstalled.

Have a great day and enjoy the long weekend!
Sponsored