Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A vent to atmosphere bov should eliminate the sound in hearing
Nothing is going to eliminate the sound you are hearing, other than putting the stock intake back on. A VTA valve may make it worse, as you’re getting rid of metered air and temporarily richening the mixture. By how much? Probably not a lot, but it’s not beneficial. A VTA valve may be loud enough to mask the popping you’re hearing if that’s what you’re after!
Sponsored

bbacon05

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nothing is going to eliminate the sound you are hearing, other than putting the stock intake back on. A VTA valve may make it worse, as you’re getting rid of metered air and temporarily richening the mixture. By how much? Probably not a lot, but it’s not beneficial. A VTA valve may be loud enough to mask the popping you’re hearing if that’s what you’re after!
He's right, stock intake will be the only way to eliminate the sound. Older turbo cars you could always hear the blow-off valve, but on newer cars they create the intake in a manner to quite all the turbo noises down.

Also metered air issue you are referring to doesn't apply to the Bronco because they use a MAP sensor instead of a MAF sensor so the air isn't measured until the intake manifold anyways so there would be no un-metered air.

Willub

Badlands
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He's right, stock intake will be the only way to eliminate the sound. Older turbo cars you could always hear the blow-off valve, but on newer cars they create the intake in a manner to quite all the turbo noises down.

Also metered air issue you are referring to doesn't apply to the Bronco because they use a MAP sensor instead of a MAF sensor so the air isn't measured until the intake manifold anyways so there would be no un-metered air.
Good point, I’m used to the old MAF systems

ericwmedic

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Focus RS NB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have the K&N setup with the dry filter on my 2.3L. It does the same popping noise.
What's really gonna drive you nuts is being on the expressway with the cruise control set, and you'll hear the popping noise as you go up/down hills.

It's just what others have said; the Bypass Valve controlling boost. The 2.3L EcoBoost has a unique torque-demand strategy (program) that uses a combination of Wastegate Duty Cycle, Bypass Valve Duty Cycle, Spark Timing, and Fuel Trim to control power. It's almost irrespective of throttle position.

OP
OP

AzureBandit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond 2013 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the K&N setup with the dry filter on my 2.3L. It does the same popping noise.
What's really gonna drive you nuts is being on the expressway with the cruise control set, and you'll hear the popping noise as you go up/down hills.

It's just what others have said; the Bypass Valve controlling boost. The 2.3L EcoBoost has a unique torque-demand strategy (program) that uses a combination of Wastegate Duty Cycle, Bypass Valve Duty Cycle, Spark Timing, and Fuel Trim to control power. It's almost irrespective of throttle position.
I couldn’t stand it…ordered and installed the turbo smart dual valve bov the popping noise is gone!

Sponsored

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I couldn’t stand it…ordered and installed the turbo smart dual valve bov the popping noise is gone!
Same! I replaced the stock BPV with the Turbosmart and the popping noise is gone. Going to install the Injen intake tomorrow morning, which is replacing the Roush intake.

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey y’all, looking for some insight. I just installed an Injen CAI on my 2.3L 2023 BD. After install I noticed what sounds like an intake backfire. Has anyone else had this issue?

I’ve already went back and check all my hose connections and clamps everything is tight.

Do I need to get a tune to fix the issue? Or did I miss something?

Thanks in advance!
Was the install a big pain in the butt? Im going to tackle it tomorrow morning.

OP
OP

AzureBandit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I should have specified - I have the 2.3 manual.
All good just wanted to make sure the 2.3 like I have. It is not bad at all took about 35-45 minutes just to make sure I had the clamps and hoses on properly and tightened well! From what I hear the 2.7 is pretty time consuming. The tool Injen gives you for the one breather hose is actually great! Shouldn’t take you that long at all!

Sponsored

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
All good just wanted to make sure the 2.3 like I have. It is not bad at all took about 35-45 minutes just to make sure I had the clamps and hoses on properly and tightened well! From what I hear the 2.7 is pretty time consuming. The tool Injen gives you for the one breather hose is actually great! Shouldn’t take you that long at all!
Ok awesome! Did you have to pull the skid plate off as the directions mention? With the being said, the directions make it seem like it's more difficult than it seems.

OP
OP

AzureBandit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ok awesome! Did you have to pull the skid plate off as the directions mention? With the being said, the directions make it seem like it's more difficult than it seems.
I opted not to take it off at first…. They tell you
To take it off to be able to remove the lower part of the intercooler piping. I did it from the top… I did end up taking it off in the end to make sure I had the intercooler pipe back together properly.

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I opted not to take it off at first…. They tell you
To take it off to be able to remove the lower part of the intercooler piping. I did it from the top… I did end up taking it off in the end to make sure I had the intercooler pipe back together properly.
Ok gotcha. So taking it off and getting to the intercooler wasnt that bad?

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No not at all. We have a lot of room with the 2.3l near the radiator and intercooler!
Ok that's awesome. Last question - noticable performance improvement over stock? Sound and power?
Sponsored