Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

General wondering - Can you bolt on a BroncBuster Brace to a broken tie rod to provide enough support and connection to gingerly limp off the trail to a place more friendly to towing/repair?

I bought Buster Braces and decided not to use them after going to OffRoadeo and Moab trails given feedback from others on tie rods seeming to hold up with moderate offroading, gentle steering inputs, and only 35's with a small lift (1.5"). I have spare inner tie rods on order. But wondering if I could use the braces in a pinch to bolt some splint support to the steering enough to get off the trail. Having not seen a snapped tie rod in real life, I wasn't sure if (in most cases) the bend of the inner tie rod prior to snapping negate the ability to bolt on the brace or the brace wouldn't provide enough connectivity to allow the steering to operate and turn the wheel. Ex. would the broken tie rod pieces just slide out of the brace or the four bolts in the brace not be strong enough to handle the force of turning the rods together given no support of tie rod connection. Especially since the bent tie rod from the break wouldn't allow for the brace to be tightened completely leaving a gap between the two brace plates.

I know you can use pipe and weld for a field fix (I have no idea how to weld). I also have never changed a tie rod (particularly in the field). So until I can find a YouTube video specific for that on a Bronco, I'm seeking a range of alternatives just in case.

(Please don't respond with a different aftermarket part I should buy, HOSS 3.0, or "just put the braces on from the start", etc. I know the braces help and their are a range of options. I dont want to increase risk of load to steering system and trying to keep as close to stock as possible. I'm fine keeping the weakpoint the inner tie rod and simply wondering if this would be a legitimate field fix solution.)

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think you answered your own questions. It may be possible if you can beat it straight to get it to fit. If it’s all you have it is worth a try , but what is your reasoning for not just carrying a spare?

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I carry two extra tie rods with me.

OP
OP
tucktato

tucktato

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We did it for @Tarheel_Wes to get to the trailhead, but put a new tie rod in there to drive home on.
Thanks! This answer was helpful.

Like I mentioned, I have a couple tie rods on order - I was wondering on the reality of being able to use the brace until then or if I needed to get off a section of trail more quickly than a tie rod swap would allow.

Sponsored

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We did it for @Tarheel_Wes to get to the trailhead, but put a new tie rod in there to drive home on.

Yep. That thread is still kicking around here somewhere. It definitely got me off the trail.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For the cost of buying the bronco buster I would just have 2 extra tie rods in my bronco.Like you mention. Easier to put a new tie rod in vs putting bronco buster on a broken tie rod. Tie rod is simple to remove/install. Jmo

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think someone mentioned a piece of pipe with some quick setting j&b weld (putty) to handle something like this as well.

Not sure how well that would work..but maybe
Sponsored