Sponsored

Broken outer tie rod. Any trail fix parts?

Triceratops

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 speed Huffy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Broke the pin on the outer tie rod. No outers locally. Any trail expedient fixes from other makes/models. I know the ranger fix but that is for the inner and the outer s are too short.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Triceratops

Triceratops

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 speed Huffy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We may have something! An 04 crown Vic outer. It’s a little short but should be within the margin of error for a trail fix.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How did you break a outer tie rod?

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We may have something! An 04 crown Vic outer. It’s a little short but should be within the margin of error for a trail fix.
Nice find.

You broke the tapered stud? How?

OP
OP
Triceratops

Triceratops

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 speed Huffy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OK, so here’s the story and fix. Off-road park in Florida, pretty easy, they dig out the trails a little bit to provide some extra fun since there’s not elevation changes. I was down in a hole with a small amount of mud in the bottom, the hole is big enough for all four wheels to be on the bottom. I spun up to get out of the hole once I got out hard on brakes, but the turbos were spun up and kept pushing even not on the accelerator and hard on the brake. Went too fast and the next hole was just on the right side of the trail dropped the front tire in and hit the far side and snap.

Completely user error, I shouldn’t have spun up that much, but I was trying to throw a little mud as well.

Anyway, now we’re blocking the trail. Have to remove the wheel, takeoff the outer so that we can at least somewhat maneuver it. put the wheel back on, Essentially parallel park it on the side of the trail with multiple people turning the wheel for me.

There were multiple holes both for the rest of the trail and to get back to a bypass. No real way of getting it out unless you connect that Tie rod. No dealers within an hour can get it for two days. So off to the parts store with the broken one. The 04 ranger outer is way too short. People use the inner as a replacement, but the outer won’t work. Guy at the parts store said it looked similar to a a 2004 crown Vic outer he had recently sold. Now the tapered fitting would not possibly fit, but at that point, I just needed some thing hard to attach it so I can get it off the trail and probably just trailer home. The taper on the crown Vic part is very very wide so won’t possibly fit down in it but it will center itself and it has a long stud so I wasn’t worried about not showing threads on the other side. We checked to make sure it had the same threading as my outer.

Long story short, it worked perfectly. We were able to install it and do a hillbilly eyeball alignment in about 15-20 minutes. Drove it out from the trails and a short distance to dinner.

The drive to dinner felt good with a surprisingly fantastic alignment. Check to make sure nothing was loosening. It drove so well decided to back roads it 140 miles home. Made it home without issue. The real outer will be here in two days. My only real problem now is I bent the mounting bolt for the upper control arm making my camber look pretty bad. As long as the bolt comes out will be OK but removing a long bent bolt is going to be a pain in the ass. That’s the only other damage I can see.

Just for info I’m up about 2 1/2 inches on king coil overs with Camburg billet upper control arms. Now I will say I use broncbuster braces, and my inner was straight as an arrow.

not a lot of pictures during, but I’ll take a couple pictures of the damage and the parts in question for yall

I always wondered if I carry too many tools on the trail, and is it ridiculous to bring a full size impact wrench… it is not.

@Tricky Dick

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man that's awesome. I'm going to add that to my thread since it gets a lot of eyeballs and credit you.

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GMC HD 3500 AT4, 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are you in CO or FL, if CO I know where you can pick up a used set, at least he had a few a month ago.

Sponsored

Shoresy

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land cruiser, focus st
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve got a spare set of factory tie rods in Arvada… never thought I’d need the outers, but your story makes me glad I have them!

If I can help with a loan, let me know …

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Completely user error, I shouldn’t have spun up that much, but I was trying to throw a little mud as well.
I just don't get this mentality. 45 years later and we can't equal a stock set of 78/79 tie rod ends? (which I modified to run on a kingpin 60 front with 44 boggers and healthy 460). Also made an adjustable drag link out of another stock tie rod.

That thing spun up locked 44 boggers no problem and I even rock crawled it as it was the only thing I had after 9/11 and I really wanted to go (charity run @ Paragon).

frtsusp.jpg

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/OLD BRONC VID PICS/PATCH JULY 06/MOV01240.MPG

BRONC-0005_0004.jpg

MOV00641%20003_0003.jpg
Sponsored