msch382

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 1976 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great video on tie rods from two of the best and most experienced Bronco drivers... See 12:10 of the video, "increasing the strength of the tie rod will move the failure point to the steering rack... we look at the tie rods as a fuse because they're easy to change."

Sponsored

Last edited:

msch382

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 1976 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Also @Ramble_Offroad share in another thread, "These are my notes on part numbers gathered from B6G. (Please verify from 3rd party to ensure accuracy)

Hoss 3.0 part numbers
NB3Z-3A130-B is the right outer
NB3Z-3A130-C is the left outer

The part number for the inners (NB3Z-3280-D) comes with the boot and both clamps per side.

You can also get the inners without the boot and clamps with part number NB3Z-3280-C

Hoss 3.0 Rack with inner & outer tie rods part number NB3Z-3504-M"

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great video on tie rods from two of the best and most experienced Bronco drivers... See 12:10 of the video, "increasing the strength of the tie rod will move the failure point to the steering rack... we look at the tie rods as a fuse because they're easy to change."

A couple of things occurred to me:

- A tie rod failure seems like it would almost always be catastrophic such that it must be fixed on the trail in order to drive out. The only video I have seen showing a steering rack failure was Bronc Buster, and as I recall, the failure was more incremental. He was able to keep driving after first noticing the problem. Even though the steering rack is more expensive, getting it repaired in town might be preferable to doing a trail repair. The decision on this is also influenced by how comfortable you would be doing a tie rod replacement on the trail.

- What about carrying tie rod sleeves in your spare parts bag and installing them if there is a failure? It seems like they would be easier to install on trail than a tie rod. Of course, you'd still need to replace the tie rod when you got home.

- For the typical person with a stock (SAS or non-SAS) Bronco doing non-extreme offroading, breaking a tie rod seems unlikely. Damaging a steering rack, even with tie rod sleeves, seems very remote in comparison. Perhaps it makes sense to add sleeves to protect from the unlikely scenario even though you are increasing the risk of the remote scenario.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's been a very interesting, long, and informative digression into heavy-duty steering rack and beefed-up tierod installs, but the Original Poster was asking about recommendations on tie rod reinforcement sleeves.

Which brings us back to the question: any recommendations for one sleeve over another?
Is the LevelUp stainless sleeve significantly better?
Is the BroncoBuster stainless clamp worth the money?

I drive, and plan to maintain stock, a Badlands/4Dr/Sas but I do drive some pretty aggressive trails. A little strengthening (plus a spare tie rod, just in case!) strikes me as a reasonable investment.

jonesh242

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trail-Squak, YT Capra 29er & Decoy Mullet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's been a very interesting, long, and informative digression into heavy-duty steering rack and beefed-up tierod installs, but the Original Poster was asking about recommendations on tie rod reinforcement sleeves.

Which brings us back to the question: any recommendations for one sleeve over another?
Is the LevelUp stainless sleeve significantly better?
Is the BroncoBuster stainless clamp worth the money?

I drive, and plan to maintain stock, a Badlands/4Dr/Sas but I do drive some pretty aggressive trails. A little strengthening (plus a spare tie rod, just in case!) strikes me as a reasonable investment.
I'm a long way from buying a new steering rack personally. My plan is too immediately replace stock with the Icon bits, BB bushing and keep the stockers for back ups.

Sponsored

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GC overland 5.7, 18 GC srt 6.4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just use them as the fuse in the system so you don’t explode the rack. Other than the ridiculous clamp style the others will still allow the rod to break as you still have a weak spot where the threads meet the rod. I’m sure they help some but they don’t completely mitigate the “problem.” Just carry extras, it’s a 15 min fix

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I broke a tierod offroad and was back up and driving in about an hour. Was my first time swapping one on a bronco. I have the Icon set but haven't installed them yet. I did plenty of trails stock sasquatch without incident and only broke once I lifted and went to 37's. Also was in worst case scenario for breaking one (climbing in slick mud trying to bump over a ledge with front locker engaged).

IMO if your not running 37's or more than I would leave them stock and just carry a spare and tools.

Oscargrouch323

Base
First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ac-fab.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I been running these jeeperf for a few months now. Things are a big upgrade compared to stock

060DD0AE-3A47-41C5-9B6A-8DC6F3F989B2.jpeg

mrock

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 Lariat; 2016 RAM; 2022 Black Diamond SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have read the entire thread, but still need some advice. I have a 2022 Black Diamond SAS, 2.7. Stock except for a RC winch and upgraded rock rails. I am 75 and no longer do serious (Black Bear Pass) wheeling, but still get off road. I am considering the RC tie rod upgrade kit, plus HD tie rod sleeves and rack & pinion bushing kit. I realize there are more serious options, but does anyone have experience with this combo? Also, does anyone have a definitive answer on how front end upgrades impact the factory warranty? Thanks.

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have read the entire thread, but still need some advice. I have a 2022 Black Diamond SAS, 2.7. Stock except for a RC winch and upgraded rock rails. I am 75 and no longer do serious (Black Bear Pass) wheeling, but still get off road. I am considering the RC tie rod upgrade kit, plus HD tie rod sleeves and rack & pinion bushing kit. I realize there are more serious options, but does anyone have experience with this combo? Also, does anyone have a definitive answer on how front end upgrades impact the factory warranty? Thanks.
I installed the RC steering rack bushing and have been off-road twice already with it. Also have a 3” lift and everything has been good. I didn’t do anything with the tie rod itself because my thinking is I would rather thetie rod break then the rack itself.

I have purchased @Tricky Dick spare tie rod kit that I keep in the bronco just in case. That’s what I would recommend that route IMO

StinkBug

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You can add one more to the list for Hoss 2.0 sleeves. We decided to make them a little longer than most of the others to support the tie rod all the way to its thickest section. We also tried to make them a little sexier. Not that looks equal performance, but I just hate a clunky looking part that could be done better.

In Stock and ready to ship now at www.stinkyfab.com

TRSleeve-1.jpg
Sponsored