broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Bronco is on the way and I got the capable bumper. It comes with the D-Rings painted in Black but I want them in grey like the picture below.
Has anyone done it and what’s the best option? Remove the entire bumper? Are the shackles removable?

Thanks

1BB9460A-8FEF-4210-A83C-389E56EC204D.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I feel you. I’ve posted about 50 times on the capable bumper.

there’s like 3 of us haha

we don’t get much love

I’ll have mine next week

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My Bronco is on the way and I got the capable bumper. It comes with the D-Rings painted in Black but I want them in grey like the picture below.
Has anyone done it and what’s the best option? Remove the entire bumper? Are the shackles removable?

Thanks

Ford Bronco Capable bumper D-ring paint 1BB9460A-8FEF-4210-A83C-389E56EC204D
I am ALSO really really looking for a solution for an additional fog light in this little pocket.

41714BBF-EA21-4B96-8027-8C50DF74FC1F.jpeg

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Im ordering the DD SS3 amber fog and gonna see what I can do for a fit.
Seems like all aftermarket cares about right now is the modular

I asked one company on here they didn’t even KNOW about the capable.

Sponsored

armand0609

Badlands
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2020 Nissan Armada
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2022 Badlands Sasquatch that came with the capable bumper. I have messed a bit with the shackles and I think the main support is welded to the bumper rear reinforcement. I took the screws out but the mounting bracket did not budge even a bit. But the shackle itself seems removable. Just pop out that plastic cover and it looks like the pin holding it is just pressed in there. I am going to try to take out mine later in the week and repaint them.
If you want to paint the mount too, should be easy as well. Just take out the bolts and shackle and mask around it.

Ford Bronco Capable bumper D-ring paint PXL_20220129_015308516

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2022 Badlands Sasquatch that came with the capable bumper. I have messed a bit with the shackles and I think the main support is welded to the bumper rear reinforcement. I took the screws out but the mounting bracket did not budge even a bit. But the shackle itself seems removable. Just pop out that plastic cover and it looks like the pin holding it is just pressed in there. I am going to try to take out mine later in the week and repaint them.
If you want to paint the mount too, should be easy as well. Just take out the bolts and shackle and mask around it.

Any of you 3 know the load ratings on these? Thanks

armand0609

Badlands
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any of you 3 know the load ratings on these? Thanks
I used a 15mm socket and they seem to be either 3/8 or M10. Not sure. I did not measure the threads.
But if they are in fact M10, the M10 10.9 bolts are rated at around 4,400 lbs in tension. So I would say conservatively 10,000 lbs for that area. The plate/bumper is bolted to the frame in that location.

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

is there another bolt holding the D-Ring plate into the frame underneath or on the sides? not just the 3 up front but maybe some underneath the vehicle? If it has bolts i would guess its removable somehow...

armand0609

Badlands
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

is there another bolt holding the D-Ring plate into the frame underneath or on the sides? not just the 3 up front but maybe some underneath the vehicle? If it has bolts i would guess its removable somehow...
I hope so! But I will need to take off the whole bumper to get a better view. I can see why the Ford engineers would hold it as well from the back. Dropping that chunk of steel on your toe would not be fun.

Sponsored

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I hope so! But I will need to take off the whole bumper to get a better view. I can see why the Ford engineers would hold it as well from the back. Dropping that chunk of steel on your toe would not be fun.
The tow points on the mod bumper have an additional small bolt holding them in place on the back sides. (Probably for ease of install for the whole bumper) I’d bet that go for those D-Rings on the capable bumper as well. Gonna have to take the whole bumper off to get them off I’d say.

armand0609

Badlands
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The tow points on the mod bumper have an additional small bolt holding them in place on the back sides. (Probably for ease of install for the whole bumper) I’d bet that go for those D-Rings on the capable bumper as well. Gonna have to take the whole bumper off to get them off I’d say.
That totally makes sense! I will take off the bumper later today if I get a chance to double check. Seems pretty easy to take off. It will be great if the whole mount can come off, it will be much easier to paint it on a work bench.

Tortuga353

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice! I’m glad we’re seeing a little progress with the capable bumper. I just picked my Bronco up Friday but have dug in deeper than looking and going huh. I’d like to replace the whole thing with a traditional shackle mount.

OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Thanks let us know your progress. Also how did you remove the plastic? Just pops right off?
Do you know what paint would be best for that application?

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thanks let us know your progress. Also how did you remove the plastic? Just pops right off?
Do you know what paint would be best for that application?
Should pop right off. Someone earlier had one come in not snapped in all the way.
Sponsored