Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If welding repair is deemed acceptable, I assume drill stopping the crack would be best practice?

Drill stopping, being to drill a small through hole, say 1/8", at the end of the crack, to stop it from continuing, and then weld everything back up, including the drill stop hole.
Precisely that.
Then whatever ā€œbest methodā€ for boxing in/reinforcing.

But part of the problems I see are the crack starting at the edge of the mount-weld joint.
no drilling there. Bevel, re-weld with a backer plate would be my angle of attack.
Sponsored

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just got around to checking my 11/21 Badlands that I wheel moderately hard... It's boxed, and no cracking visible.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nov ā€˜21 build. BL 2 door not squatched. Boxed

Sponsored

Rpm

Wildtrak
First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey ya'll, I know this has been addressed here and there but I want to bring this fully into the light with some research i've done.

The rear, control arm upper brackets on my 21 Bronco are cracked... Both sides in multiple places. My welding friend stop drilled and welded up one crack but I have since discovered another and also on the passenger side. To access and repair the passenger side I will have to drop the tank to assess which we will do soon. I reached out to a few friends that also have 21 Broncos and 3 of them have cracks in the same spot with others checking for me tonight. So far all 4 of us with cracks are modified with aftermarket, rear arms, 37's and we wheel hard and often. I'm still looking to see if unmodified 2021 Broncos have this crack but so far no.

I did find a friend with a 21 Bronco Sasquatch that is stock and he has no visible cracks, but the welds are now rusting right where I've seen some of the cracks form which leads me to believe his is on the way out as well.

I posted up in my group asking for photos of newer Broncos and someone with a 23 Bronco sent me this awesome photo. If you compare, you can see the newer Bronco's have boxed in that upper bracket. This shows that Ford is aware of the issue but the question remains what do the rest of us do. Do we chase cracks forever? Can we purchase that newer bracket to weld in? Will just fixing the cracks as they show up work?

In the meantime, I hope this helps ya'll and serves as a reminder to check those welds! Worst case scenario, you dont catch this and your upper arms come detached while wheeling or on the freeway.

See the below pics.

My Bronco before repair

IMG_4740.JPG

My bronco after repair
IMG_4767.JPG

21 stock Sasquatch (note rust at arrow)
IMG_4870.jpg

23 Bronco with boxed bracket
IMG_4873.JPG

21 Bronco with open bracket
IMG_4874.JPG

My second crack that I found after fixing first one
IMG_4875.JPG

***edit*** got some great feedback from yā€™all. It appears that random 21Broncos have the open style prone to cracking. As of now there is no rhyme or reason which ones get it that I can tell! The 22ā€™s and up all seem boxed. There is No date cutoff as some early Broncos have the box and some late 21ā€™s do not. The cracks seem to start with rust forming in the welds which someone mentioned could be a sign of poor welds. As of right now there is no solution but the recommendation is to go to Ford if cracks form and report it. If you have the open design and no cracks, just watch it. I have not seen cracks on a stock Bronco but I have seen the rust showing
Thanks for the heads up. I'll will have to check it out. I was lucky to pass by Bronco community today.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All good! Hit me up for the rubicon. Itā€™s my
Spot.

1333B2EC-49A2-43A1-845B-11CAFE08C2A3.jpeg
Have you done the whole route with your BB? If so what have you done to it to make it Rubicon ready. I see tie rod braces and a winch, anything else? I've been messing around on the east side a bunch and beat up the underside pretty good already and planning on doing the whole thing this this fall after Labor Day and want my basis covered within reason.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey ya'll, I know this has been addressed here and there but I want to bring this fully into the light with some research i've done.

The rear, control arm upper brackets on my 21 Bronco are cracked... Both sides in multiple places. My welding friend stop drilled and welded up one crack but I have since discovered another and also on the passenger side. To access and repair the passenger side I will have to drop the tank to assess which we will do soon. I reached out to a few friends that also have 21 Broncos and 3 of them have cracks in the same spot with others checking for me tonight. So far all 4 of us with cracks are modified with aftermarket, rear arms, 37's and we wheel hard and often. I'm still looking to see if unmodified 2021 Broncos have this crack but so far no.

I did find a friend with a 21 Bronco Sasquatch that is stock and he has no visible cracks, but the welds are now rusting right where I've seen some of the cracks form which leads me to believe his is on the way out as well.

I posted up in my group asking for photos of newer Broncos and someone with a 23 Bronco sent me this awesome photo. If you compare, you can see the newer Bronco's have boxed in that upper bracket. This shows that Ford is aware of the issue but the question remains what do the rest of us do. Do we chase cracks forever? Can we purchase that newer bracket to weld in? Will just fixing the cracks as they show up work?

In the meantime, I hope this helps ya'll and serves as a reminder to check those welds! Worst case scenario, you dont catch this and your upper arms come detached while wheeling or on the freeway.

See the below pics.

My Bronco before repair

IMG_4740.JPG

My bronco after repair
IMG_4767.JPG

IMG_4870.jpg

IMG_4873.JPG

IMG_4874.JPG

IMG_4875.JPG

***edit*** got some great feedback from yā€™all. It appears that random 21Broncos have the open style prone to cracking. As of now there is no rhyme or reason which ones get it that I can tell! The 22ā€™s and up all seem boxed. There is No date cutoff as some early Broncos have the box and some late 21ā€™s do not. The cracks seem to start with rust forming in the welds which someone mentioned could be a sign of poor welds. As of right now there is no solution but the recommendation is to go to Ford if cracks form and report it. If you have the open design and no cracks, just watch it. I have not seen cracks on a stock Bronco but I have seen the rust showing
2021 bd 4dr 2.7 sas here ....nope no cracks

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

[/QUOTE]
Have you done the whole route with your BB? If so what have you done to it to make it Rubicon ready. I see tie rod braces and a winch, anything else? I've been messing around on the east side a bunch and beat up the underside pretty good already and planning on doing the whole thing this this fall after Labor Day and want my basis covered within reason.
A stock Sasquatch can do the rubicon. I did the whole trail, itā€™s got the full BB steering rack set, 37ā€™s, King lift from accutune, Metalcloak bumpers, winch, adjustable control arms, talons garage armor, big thing are good sliders. Lockers help but arnt needed, Iā€™ve got skids on the shock brackets and diff. I used the sliders a LOT, lots of pivoting on rocks to maneuver. Underside is just metal skids, feel free to mess those up as much as you like! Youā€™ll be fine. I still have the Ford Tcase skid and fuel tank skid. Allll beat up, still work.

Sponsored

HotRod76

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
11/21 Badlands 4Dr Non-SAS MT...Not Boxed, completely stock, not off-roaded, no cracks, but don't love the rust near the weld joint.

GRIFFINCONWAY

Badlands
First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

See the below pics.

My Bronco before repair

Ford Bronco Check this NOW if you have a 2021 Bronco -- cracks on rear control arm upper brackets Repaired

My bronco after repair
Ford Bronco Check this NOW if you have a 2021 Bronco -- cracks on rear control arm upper brackets Repaired

Here's your solutionšŸ¤˜ APG Rear long travel does all new brackets on upper frame, shock towers, and also on the axle.

1R0A2188-2.jpg

1R0A2188.jpg

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Here's your solutionšŸ¤˜ APG Rear long travel does all new brackets on upper frame, shock towers, and also on the axle.

Ford Bronco Check this NOW if you have a 2021 Bronco -- cracks on rear control arm upper brackets 1R0A2188

Ford Bronco Check this NOW if you have a 2021 Bronco -- cracks on rear control arm upper brackets 1R0A2188
17k is a little outside my pocket;) but curious, do you have photos of the upper arm, frame side bracket? I havnt seen one.
Sponsored