Ph4nt0m

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have rockrail mounted steps but nothing directly frame mounted. And since my 'thud' is at really low speed, like nearly stopped, I do not think mine would be spring/lift related right?
Would definitely agree that this isn’t likely the problem for your case, especially if they are steps on the OEM badlands rock rail. The factory rails are mounting up & under to the body rather than to the ladder frame itself which is where this happens.

I actually sourced the idea on a Jeep forum of all places.

Are there any mods on your Bronco that could be connected to the noise or is this all on OEM equipment?

edit: just saw your signature. Was this happening before the coilovers and ucas?
Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My thud is at slow speed, like stop sign approach or just putting it into gear after reversing. Am I safe to assume my issue is not the same as this spring issue?.. because I'm not going over bumps when I get my noise. Totally flat level street.
I appreciate any ideas!
That's where these things get weird, trying to pinpoint the source.
Technically with the change in weight distribution by slowing to a stop or putting it in gear can cause something to contact something it normally would not.
Is that normal or acceptable?
No.
Best thing I can tell you is get under it and get someone to push up and down on the front end.
Look and feel around while they are and see if you can at least narrow down the culprit.
Sometimes a piece of hose to one ear and moving the other end around the suspected general area will help narrow it down some more.
If by chance you have had any lift, spacer, or collar work done, double-check the three strut-mounting nuts and make sure they are good and snug.
Make sure the rubber isolator looks like it is seated well on top of the spring.
Wiggle the driveshaft back and forth, both CV axles, listen for the same type of sound.

Good luck. There are dozens of "what it could be" things.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I too have a clunk, it's very loud while offroading but bumps in the road will do it too. I'm certain it's on the left side.
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

AlliB123

Badlands
First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands Previously: 2022 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's where these things get weird, trying to pinpoint the source.
Technically with the change in weight distribution by slowing to a stop or putting it in gear can cause something to contact something it normally would not.
Is that normal or acceptable?
No.
Best thing I can tell you is get under it and get someone to push up and down on the front end.
Look and feel around while they are and see if you can at least narrow down the culprit.
Sometimes a piece of hose to one ear and moving the other end around the suspected general area will help narrow it down some more.
If by chance you have had any lift, spacer, or collar work done, double-check the three strut-mounting nuts and make sure they are good and snug.
Make sure the rubber isolator looks like it is seated well on top of the spring.
Wiggle the driveshaft back and forth, both CV axles, listen for the same type of sound.

Good luck. There are dozens of "what it could be" things.
This is very helpful. I have had a lift and though it was 1k miles ago, something could have shifted or come loose.
Thank you!

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is very helpful. I have had a lift and though it was 1k miles ago, something could have shifted or come loose.
Thank you!
Keep us up to date with what you find.
It's how we help each other on here!

Sponsored

AlliB123

Badlands
First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would definitely agree that this isn’t likely the problem for your case, especially if they are steps on the OEM badlands rock rail. The factory rails are mounting up & under to the body rather than to the ladder frame itself which is where this happens.

I actually sourced the idea on a Jeep forum of all places.

Are there any mods on your Bronco that could be connected to the noise or is this all on OEM equipment?

edit: just saw your signature. Was this happening before the coilovers and ucas?
It was not happening before the Eibach coilovers and UCAs. It's been quiet and seemingly solid for 1500 miles since then but maybe something shifted or loosened... The place that did the work is an hour+ highway miles away so I'm hesitant to drive that far. But I've made an appointment with a local garage for next week to check that everything is tight. And I'm limiting my driving until that appointment.
Hubby and I have crawled under to look at stuff but we don't really know what we're looking for. I'll feel better once a pro takes a look.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It was not happening before the Eibach coilovers and UCAs. It's been quiet and seemingly solid for 1500 miles since then but maybe something shifted or loosened... The place that did the work is an hour+ highway miles away so I'm hesitant to drive that far. But I've made an appointment with a local garage for next week to check that everything is tight. And I'm limiting my driving until that appointment.
Hubby and I have crawled under to look at stuff but we don't really know what we're looking for. I'll feel better once a pro takes a look.
Sometimes that's best.
No shame in playing it safe.

Ph4nt0m

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sometimes that's best.
No shame in playing it safe.
Agreed.

I had a similar issue with that type of setup on an old 4Runner and I was thinking maybe it was a bad ball joint in the UCA or maybe something wasnt fully tightened.

My case then was that the top nut on the coil wasnt fully tight and had some slop. The shop noted thought that the geometry change with the lift did make the knuckle and LCA get tremendously close to where they initially thought it was making contact.

Obviously this is for an old 4Runner and not a Bronco but could be some good leads for them to check on.

Hope they are able to work that out for you!

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Paging @popo_patty they want to know if the clunk went away after changing the sway bar end links.
My clunk was related to my factory swaybar end links. Doesn’t matter if you have factory disconnect or not. The end links are similar. The joint in mine was shot and clunking. You can’t tell looking at it because it was fine externally.

We had to have two guys shaking the Bronco hard while I was underneath holding the driver side end link to feel it “popping”. We un-bolted the link and no more noise. I’ve kept my swaybar disconnected for several months now lol. Eventually I’ll fix it.

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the same issue and I have replaced everything related to suspension and the geometry of the vehicle. No change. Mine is a thump from front driver side.

21 Badlands with 3” Icon Stage 6, 37” tires and HOSS 3.0 steering rack. Only my lower control arms are stock at this point.. all bushings are good/like new. New delta joints in billet UCA etc.

Im running crash bar delete kit from JKS and have trimmed everything that goes anywhere near the tires.

I’ve just always had a clunk.

AlliB123

Badlands
First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the same issue and I have replaced everything related to suspension and the geometry of the vehicle. No change. Mine is a thump from front driver side.

21 Badlands with 3” Icon Stage 6, 37” tires and HOSS 3.0 steering rack. Only my lower control arms are stock at this point.. all bushings are good/like new. New delta joints in billet UCA etc.

Im running crash bar delete kit from JKS and have trimmed everything that goes anywhere near the tires.

I’ve just always had a clunk.
@Ph4nt0m
@broadicustomworks
Here's my thud, right at the end of this video clip. Moving 3mph or less between two stop signs, perfectly flat street. 🤷‍♀️

AlliB123

Badlands
First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@AlliB123
Have you checked your CV axle play? Sounds like a hollow cup and at that speed really the only thing moving.
I'm not handy in that regard but I'm taking all these notes to ask the garage when I take it in next week.
Maybe unrelated but I turned down the setting on the pedal commander from Sport2 to City3 and it hasn't made the thud sound again in several trips into town.
Remember in the old days when cars would make a sound whenever you put it into gear, like, ok I'm in ready now let's go, it almost felt like that. Just odd that it didnt start til 2k miles (including 1.5k miles post-lift w no sound).
I really appreciate everybody's input! I like to have some info or some direction I can give the guys when I take it to the garage.

velocityblue

Wildtrak
First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Did anyone find a definitive answer to this issue? My new 2023 Wildtrak is doing the same thing. When going over whoops offroad, seemingly when the front end unloads/rear end loads and starts coming down there is a heavy thud, not metallic, more like maybe a suspension bushing. You can hear it and feel it in the floor/steering wheel. You have to drive just fast enough (maybe 4-5mph) to just get the front end unloaded/rear end loaded. It also seemed to be somewhat related to throttle as if you didn't hold steady throttle and got off it a bit, it seemed to do it less, but not positive.

I also noticed if I traversed the whoops at an angle so the wheels unloaded at different times it was gone or less. Also got all four evenly unloaded and unlike with the whoops, no noise on loading back up. Not sure it's worth having the dealer look at it without knowing exactly what's going on when there will be no easy way for them to reproduce it.
Sponsored