Sponsored

Color accuracy of paint in photos

72roadster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thinking about all the variation in what paint colors look like when getting photo'd got me thinking if there was a solution. Then i recalled using one of these for work .

Anyone want to spend $15 before they go take photos at super celebration
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1014565-REG/dgk_color_tools_wdkk_bubble_bag_1.html

Place one of these in your photos and we might get a better idea of color accuracy.
(only half way serious )

Ford Bronco Color accuracy of paint in photos 1600259977451
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco Color accuracy of paint in photos 1600261248449

OP
OP
72roadster

72roadster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
To be honest, I don’t think a photo will work. Some of the colors have different looks depending on the lighting.
This is actually a pretty standard way of color correcting photos, both pre and post production

Sure there is some variation in different lighting situations, specifically with metallic paints. But the colors don't really change though, they are what they are. They may have reflect differently in different lighting situations, but so does the "board." So if you color correct your photo to make the the color on the photographed board, you are getting a "truer" representation of the bronco paint color at the time it was taken.

OP
OP
72roadster

72roadster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Was just watching a completely unrelated video for a project i am working on. Doing more soldering for a home automation project.

look whats hidden up over the left corner of his work bench

Sponsored

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thinking about all the variation in what paint colors look like when getting photo'd got me thinking if there was a solution. Then i recalled using one of these for work .

Anyone want to spend $15 before they go take photos at super celebration
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1014565-REG/dgk_color_tools_wdkk_bubble_bag_1.html

Place one of these in your photos and we might get a better idea of color accuracy.
(only half way serious )

Ford Bronco Color accuracy of paint in photos 1600266278407
You can color correct your photo all day on your monitor, but unless you also plan on color correcting everyone's monitor who is displaying your photo, you are only solving half the problem.

OP
OP
72roadster

72roadster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You can color correct your photo all day on your monitor, but unless you also plan on color correcting everyone's monitor who is displaying your photo, you are only solving half the problem.
You can color correct your monitor all day, but unless you also plan on color correcting everyone's photos of broncos, you are only solving half the problem.

I don't have to worry about everyones monitor, just mine, but if the source image isn't accurate no amount of adjusting any monitor does any good.

was "only half way serious" to begin with

Sponsored

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can color correct your monitor all day, but unless you also plan on color correcting everyone's photos of broncos, you are only solving half the problem.

I don't have to worry about everyones monitor, just mine, but if the source image isn't accurate no amount of adjusting any monitor does any good.

was "only half way serious" to begin with
Right, I just don't want people to think that someone can post a "color corrected photo" that is then the "right color" for everyone viewing the image.

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right, I just don't want people to think that someone can post a "color corrected photo" that is then the "right color" for everyone viewing the image.
It would be a photo with a color calibration card for reference. The viewer would match the standard and adjust their monitor to the calibration.
It's just applying a known standard into the photo for reference.

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It would be a photo with a color calibration card for reference. The viewer would match the standard and adjust their monitor to the calibration.
It's just applying a known standard into the photo for reference.
Yeah, I know that, you know that, 72roadster knows that, but you've got a ton of non-tech savy folks that aren't going to know what to do with a cal card, and you're going to be their new tech support. ;)
Sponsored