stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We are getting to the point where the expense of getting what you want (formally known as "options" or things that you wanted, could select and then pay for) is being transferred from the car maker to the aftermarket. Case in point, how many folks on this forum are prepared to have their top repainted after delivery to the color white, or to have the frame of the vehicle re-painted like the roll out model in CG? Or the changes in the grille to get the one they want, or to repaint the grilles white or silver. Not to mention the interior, mechanicals, etc. It is purely about profit. But the better the aftermarket gets at providing the consumer with exactly what they want at a fair price, the less inclined the buyer will be to purchase directly through the car maker. It will be interesting to see if the white top is available, the light interior is available, the bumper with both fog lights and hooks, etc, etc, etc., from Ford. What was it that Henry Ford said about paint color?........."They can have any color they want as long as it's part of the Unlimited Trim Package."
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would be inclined to believe you if I hadn't painted boats (in adulthood) and restored/painted cars in VoTech (I ordered and painted several custom dual coat and tri-coat jobs to include pearl finishes). The price difference for the paints can be a bit but not even in the ballpark of moving up in trim level. Plus they paint using robots at Ford, so you really can't say it is because of increased man-hours (besides sanding and washing) on the vehicle with upgraded paint. I forget the article where I read this but each Bronco will have about a $7,500 profit margin. That's regardless of trim, so forcing people up trim levels based on paint isn't a valid excuse.
Yeah, you got me there. I really don't know anything about painting. Other than 40+ years of experience. Argue if you like, but the materials do cost more. How much that impacts Ford's bottom line? We will never know. Why do they do it? To increase profits.

OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, you got me there. I really don't know anything about painting. Other than 40+ years of experience. Argue if you like, but the materials do cost more. How much that impacts Ford's bottom line? We will never know. Why do they do it? To increase profits.
Trust me I'm not saying you know nothing about painting (just making an assertion based on my own personal experience), and I would agree (and mentioned so in my response) that the material cost is higher on upgraded finishes, just not enough to justify $5k-$10k more to go up in trim level. Plus, Ford is bound to get those paints and finishes at a lot better prices than us little guys having to order paint through our local auto supply store. I know that it is all about profits for Ford or any auto maker, but goodness give us a cookie if we're willing to pay for it lol. I'd even be willing to spend $1-$2k on upgraded paint on the Base trim.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In most vehicles the functionality is virtually the same from the lowest trim on up the ladder...climbing the ladder basically just adds tech and/or luxury.

Not so with Bronco as trims are aligned in a more activity-specific fashion.

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm getting ready to go on a rant here. Let me know if you agree or if I should find something better to complain about. Here it goes:

Locking vehicle colors behind certain trim levels is about the dumbest thing ever (I know it's been done for years, but it's still stupid). I can see locking additional functionality/luxury behind higher trim levels, but not colors. Explain to me why someone who buys a Base (who is willing to pay the $595 upcharge for Cyber Orange or any other color for that matter) cannot purchase exactly that. It doesn't make a lick of sense to me......Rant over!
tenor.gif
Applied Google Translate to your post, it came up with this:

Ford Bronco Color Locking Based on Trim 9BAC5735-A5CA-4848-BFCE-36CB84B42AEB

Sponsored
OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In most vehicles the functionality is virtually the same from the lowest trim on up the ladder...climbing the ladder basically just adds tech and/or luxury.

Not so with Bronco as trims are aligned in a more activity-specific fashion.
I would agree with your statement. But, if you opt in for the Sasquatch Package on the Base trim, you are very close to getting Badlands capability besides rock rails, 2 GOAT modes (which can be compensated for with experienced driving), stab-bar disconnect, and HD bumpers. The rock rails (hopefully) and HD bumpers (definitely) can at least be optioned on Base and still come in for a lot less than a Badlands.

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Might have to do with quality and automation. Those colors can more easily be automated and do not cost as much or need as much labor to produce.
You pay for what you get, I guess...

Just a thought.

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Because through market research they know what colors are most desirable.
They know if you want Cyber Orange bad enough, you will be going up near 8k from 2 door base to BD to get it.
2021-Bronco-2dr-4dr-Color-Sheet_page_1.png
For me it’s the same for the painted black Ht, I prefer the 2 door BD, it has everything I want and need in the bronco- probably more to be honest but it doesn’t have the option of the Black HT, so there is a small part of me that says move up to the Badlands to get that option...
Thanks Stupid Ford Marketing?

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For me it’s the same for the painted black Ht, I prefer the 2 door BD, it has everything I want and need in the bronco- probably more to be honest but it doesn’t have the option of the Black HT, so there is a small part of me that says move up to the Badlands to get that option...
Thanks Stupid Ford Marketing?
Yeah, welcome to that club... I started at BD, then BL, and now moving towards WT with modular Front Bumper. Tomorrow I will be back down on BD or BL though...lol

Sponsored

Section8

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
Consumer unfriendly business practices are the providence of extremely large companies that tend to lock out unestablished competitors, which itself locks out competitive innovations. Imagine if an automobile manufacturer came along and offered fully modular vehicles, no trims, that are shipped direct to consumers and bypass the dealer network entirely? It would literally completely revolutionize the entire market and take over instantly.

But...

Pretty hard to just go out and start a car company due to the extreme manufacturing demands, meaning most of us are locked into buying from classical car companies who use classical sell structures, and they know it.

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Trust me I'm not saying you know nothing about painting (just making an assertion based on my own personal experience), and I would agree (and mentioned so in my response) that the material cost is higher on upgraded finishes, just not enough to justify $5k-$10k more to go up in trim level. Plus, Ford is bound to get those paints and finishes at a lot better prices than us little guys having to order paint through our local auto supply store. I know that it is all about profits for Ford or any auto maker, but goodness give us a cookie if we're willing to pay for it lol. I'd even be willing to spend $1-$2k on upgraded paint on the Base trim.
You get more than just a different color for changing trims. I think the Big Bend is the starting point for where manufacturing costs and profit are balanced for Ford’s liking with the Base being sold below $30k for the marketing. That leads to the limited color and luxury options. It’s pretty amazing to me that you can Squatch a Base out. You can see with the recent Ranger Tremor announcement that upgrades like that aren’t options on base trims like the XL.

That said, Race Red not being on the Base is a load of crap! The Ecosport has it! Come on!!!

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
While I can afford to buy a Black Diamond or Badlands, I'm not paying $10k extra for essentially the color I want, and it's sad that others will.
I'll be at least $10K into re-spraying my '51 Fleetline and that's with me doing all the shaving and trim R&R, and final wet sanding/buffing. Spraying an entire vehicle these days is insanely expensive, $10K doesn't get you showroom or award winning paint, it gets you a moderate job.

The view i've taken with manufacturers limiting colors/trims is that it's the single most effective means of reducing the total number of build configurations. It also keeps the paint booths humming along by spraying full runs of vehicles without having the downtime of swapping materials for the next paint color. If they determined that the total market saturation for Antimatter Blue is 4% of all Bronco's built (made up numbers), then why make an additional 3% of them at base trim when you're guaranteed that black/white/silver will sell?

We have to remember that after the reservation orders are fulfilled, >95% of Bronco orders will ship to Ford's actual customer..... Dealerships. And not a single one of them want's to be stuck floor-planning an under-performing car in an incredibly niche color for months. So that dealership is going to order black/white/silver and sell them all... (Note, i'm not arguing that the Bronco specifically is an under-performing car. But most dealerships have a difficult time selling odd-colored cars such as triple-yellow mustang GT's with every option, so after being stuck with a couple "showroom turds", the ordering manager will do what makes the most sense for them.... Order black, white and silver).

03bulldog

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL, mustang gt
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Consumer unfriendly business practices are the providence of extremely large companies that tend to lock out unestablished competitors, which itself locks out competitive innovations. Imagine if an automobile manufacturer came along and offered fully modular vehicles, no trims, that are shipped direct to consumers and bypass the dealer network entirely? It would literally completely revolutionize the entire market and take over instantly.

But...

Pretty hard to just go out and start a car company due to the extreme manufacturing demands, meaning most of us are locked into buying from classical car companies who use classical sell structures, and they know it.
Fully modular vehicles would be incredibly inefficient, drive up materials inventories and costs, or not drive up inventories, just cost and lead times. There's a reason you've seen almost every manufacturer move to pre-packaged trims/upgrades, and it's not to sell you what you don't want. It's to lower their costs (and yours) and try to hit the sweet spot for perceived value

TXRancher

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The argument about cost for paint and base model goes right out the window when the only red available is an up-charge and the other base price red is not available.
Sponsored