Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Pretty hard to just go out and start a car company
I think its Buick running TV commercials where people act confused & sat..."No, its an Alexa". This commercial is what is known as prescient.

it's the single most effective means of reducing the total number of build configurations
If Ford had a truly winning formula their stock would be a tad higher
Sponsored

OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'll be at least $10K into re-spraying my '51 Fleetline and that's with me doing all the shaving and trim R&R, and final wet sanding/buffing. Spraying an entire vehicle these days is insanely expensive, $10K doesn't get you showroom or award winning paint, it gets you a moderate job.

The view i've taken with manufacturers limiting colors/trims is that it's the single most effective means of reducing the total number of build configurations. It also keeps the paint booths humming along by spraying full runs of vehicles without having the downtime of swapping materials for the next paint color. If they determined that the total market saturation for Antimatter Blue is 4% of all Bronco's built (made up numbers), then why make an additional 3% of them at base trim when you're guaranteed that black/white/silver will sell?

We have to remember that after the reservation orders are fulfilled, >95% of Bronco orders will ship to Ford's actual customer..... Dealerships. And not a single one of them want's to be stuck floor-planning an under-performing car in an incredibly niche color for months. So that dealership is going to order black/white/silver and sell them all... (Note, i'm not arguing that the Bronco specifically is an under-performing car. But most dealerships have a difficult time selling odd-colored cars such as triple-yellow mustang GT's with every option, so after being stuck with a couple "showroom turds", the ordering manager will do what makes the most sense for them.... Order black, white and silver).
I don't envy you having to have your 51' Fleetline re-painted. I was going to have a 2011 F150 repainted (tuxedo black) and some very minor body-work done for a couple hail spots and I was quoted $8k for the job. I just about pooped a chicken lol. I know paint is expensive and dealerships are going to stock what sells. We early reservists are unfortunately in the minority.

shieldsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its almost like some premeditated, diabolical scheme Ford has to upsell and increase profits!!!

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Fully modular vehicles would be incredibly inefficient, drive up materials inventories and costs, or not drive up inventories, just cost and lead times. There's a reason you've seen almost every manufacturer move to pre-packaged trims/upgrades, and it's not to sell you what you don't want. It's to lower their costs (and yours) and try to hit the sweet spot for perceived value

I agree. All of these comments about the cost of the actual paint completely disregards the logistics of managing inventory a single additional sku in large production operations creates. The cost of a single part may be pennies difference but each additional option can cost millions of dollars to manage. They have to pencil out the ROI on each option to see if it is profitable.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If Ford had a truly winning formula their stock would be a tad higher
I haven't seen the winners in the auto sector in a while, perhaps you can pull the rabbit out of the hat with this one?

Seeing Red: U.S. Auto Sales, Q2 2020

Ford has had a number of issues working against them, labor costs and legacy costs among them. I am happy to invest in a car company which has superior management to General Motors and controls it's costs/debts/liabilities better than bathing the taxpayer in $40 billion of debt through the farce of a "bankruptcy", only to be working on another round of the same.

In 2009 this was said of GM, and it certainly hasn't been proven wrong to this day:
  • Even with some pertinent strings, the money will simply enable GM to continue its addiction to stupidity, sloth, greed and arrogance.

I don't envy you having to have your 51' Fleetline re-painted. I was going to have a 2011 F150 repainted (tuxedo black) and some very minor body-work done for a couple hail spots and I was quoted $8k for the job. I just about pooped a chicken lol. I know paint is expensive and dealerships are going to stock what sells. We early reservists are unfortunately in the minority.
It is worth remembering that the early reserve folks (assuming a 30% transaction rate from reserve to actually purchasing), are less than 20% of a single year's production, and between 3-8% of the total sales figures for the 6Ga Bronco. We are very vocal now, but represent an incredible minority of owners.

If you've ever removed stainless steel or chrome trim on a 70 year old car, you know how much time, energy and cost i'm investing to get the car ready for paint. Steel hardware has been rusted tight longer than i've been alive. Even with only 24,000 original miles, time is a cruel mistress. Just replacing all the mounting hardware for re-install (with high quality stainless steel) has already gone over a grand.

Tetanus is up-to-date, and plenty of the ol' Weiner Schleiden 40 has been shot onto every shaft, nut and bolt that can be found.

Ford Bronco Color Locking Based on Trim weiner shleiden 40

Last edited:

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I haven't seen the winners in the auto sector in a while
Spot on...the future isn't very bright for legacy auto makers...especially in producing a functional tool to move people & stuff from A to B. The value seems to be in either battery or comms technology - neither a core competency of the Big 3.

Its ALL tech...all the time. I recall reading an analysis....well before covid...when Amazon & UPS were in a pissing contest on rates. In a single good day on Wall Street, Amazon's market cap increased more than the entire corporate value of UPS. The future belongs to the disruptors.

OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I haven't seen the winners in the auto sector in a while, perhaps you cal pull the rabbit out of the hat with this one?

Seeing Red: U.S. Auto Sales, Q2 2020

Ford has had a number of issues working against them, labor costs and legacy costs among them. I am happy to invest in a car company which has superior management to General Motors and controls it's costs/debts/liabilities better than bathing the taxpayer in $40 billion of debt through the farce of a "bankruptcy", only to be working on another round of the same.

In 2009 this was said of GM, and it certainly hasn't been proven wrong to this day:
  • Even with some pertinent strings, the money will simply enable GM to continue its addiction to stupidity, sloth, greed and arrogance.

It is worth remembering that the early reserve folks (assuming a 30% transaction rate from reserve to actually purchasing), are less than 20% of a single year's production, and between 3-8% of the total sales figures for the 6Ga Bronco. We are very vocal now, but represent an incredible minority of owners.

If you've ever removed stainless steel or chrome trim on a 70 year old car, you know how much time, energy and cost i'm investing to get the car ready for paint. Steel hardware has been rusted tight longer than i've been alive. Even with only 24,000 original miles, time is a cruel mistress. Just replacing all the mounting hardware for re-install (with high quality stainless steel) has already gone over a grand.

Tetanus is up-to-date, and plenty of the ol' Weiner Schleiden 40 has been shot onto every shaft, nut and bolt that can be found.

Ford Bronco Color Locking Based on Trim weiner shleiden 40
Yeah myself and a couple buddies were in a similar predicament in VoTech while we were restoring a 57' Chevy Bel Air. We had to resort to using a cutting torch on several nuts and bolts they were rusted on so bad. Restorations are definitely a time consuming process, especially if you want to keep it all original to VIN, and have missing pieces you have to locate. Some parts on those old classics can run several hundred dollars for a piece that may have only cost $50.00 in their day (especially hood ornaments). I wish you Godspeed on your project. It sounds like you need it lol.

nminus1

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Duramax, Trailblazer, and Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is exactly where I'm at. I originally wanted a velocity blue 2 door base w/sasquatch and a 2.7. Then word came out that velocity blue was delayed and I started looking at the black diamond and badlands in cyber orange. The more I looked at the packages, the more I saw a bunch of crap I didn't want to get the one or two items I did want. So now, I'm back to the velocity blue base w/ sasquatch and a 2.7. Might add the steel bumper too. The rest I'll go aftermarket for what I want.
Yep base w/AMB/Sasq/ModBump/access.sw/2.7/10sp is what im getting. I dont want that lane keeping crap or leather, etc

NM_21Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No one is "falling for" anything. More stuff means more money. I want more stuff so I fully expect to pay more money. I will not choose my trim based on interior color though. If someone does that, its their choice, not a trick

The pretty stuff always has and always will cost more...
EDIT: I'm one of the few who like the color-based trim. The Bronco already seems like it'll be SO customizable, people are getting angry at the few things that won't be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No one is "falling for" anything. More stuff means more money. I want more stuff so I fully expect to pay more money. I will not choose my trim based on interior color though. If someone does that, its their choice, not a trick

The pretty stuff always has and always will cost more...
Lol some people don't want more stuff, they want less stuff but the right color. Why couldn't Ford just charge $1k-$2k upcharge on the lower trims and the $595 upcharge like they do on the higher trims? People aren't asking Ford to not make a profit. They're asking for compromise at a premium.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Lol some people don't want more stuff, they want less stuff but the right color. Why couldn't Ford just charge $1k-$2k upcharge on the lower trims and the $595 upcharge like they do on the higher trims? People aren't asking Ford to not make a profit. They're asking for compromise at a premium.
Having some understanding to the costs of re-painting a vehicle (but not having the skill/experience/materials/equipment) to do so, I would gladly pay a $4,000 premium just to have access to a "historical color pallet" where you could then have access to past colors at an additional materials cost....

This is what low-volume manufacturers such as BMW, Mercedes and Audi have offered for years. It just doesn't fit in the economies of scale for volume manufacturing such as Ford does....

Now to just hope that Cactus Gray has some green in it like some of the pics, and not stonewashed khaki as other pics have shown.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'll be at least $10K into re-spraying my '51 Fleetline and that's with me doing all the shaving and trim R&R, and final wet sanding/buffing. Spraying an entire vehicle these days is insanely expensive, $10K doesn't get you showroom or award winning paint, it gets you a moderate job.

The view i've taken with manufacturers limiting colors/trims is that it's the single most effective means of reducing the total number of build configurations. It also keeps the paint booths humming along by spraying full runs of vehicles without having the downtime of swapping materials for the next paint color. If they determined that the total market saturation for Antimatter Blue is 4% of all Bronco's built (made up numbers), then why make an additional 3% of them at base trim when you're guaranteed that black/white/silver will sell?

We have to remember that after the reservation orders are fulfilled, >95% of Bronco orders will ship to Ford's actual customer..... Dealerships. And not a single one of them want's to be stuck floor-planning an under-performing car in an incredibly niche color for months. So that dealership is going to order black/white/silver and sell them all... (Note, i'm not arguing that the Bronco specifically is an under-performing car. But most dealerships have a difficult time selling odd-colored cars such as triple-yellow mustang GT's with every option, so after being stuck with a couple "showroom turds", the ordering manager will do what makes the most sense for them.... Order black, white and silver).
Crap, our 62 C10 is such a rust bucket we are budgeting $20k for a low end guess to get it done. May try to go out west and find a rust free cab and bring it back to swap, luck for us, like the Bronco, no hurry.