First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have noticed condensation in the rear under floor storage. I have tried leaving it open and empty for a day to dry out. It appeared to dry out but then the next day I checked it and it was wet again. Has anyone else noticed this as well?

My concern is that it is going to get mildew or something over time.

Here is picture I took after opening it this afternoon to check.
Hey there! Can you please send over a private message with your VIN? We definitely want to get to the bottom of this condensation issue for you.
Sponsored

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems like I have seen multiple threads on here reporting this same issue...I think people are thinking it is possibly linked to the location of the exhaust under the storage bin?

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/search/4605726/?q=storage+condensation&o=date
☝Cavity full of air+temp or humidity differential+right above the muffler=condensation. I've seen it on a couple new ones including mine. Have not bothered looking since I put the hitch on but I don't believe it's a leak as much as the cavity and floor panel being plastic instead of breathable carpet.

Old Hound

Wildtrak
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not that I can see.

Roof was down all day and no AC.

I didn't fill up, but my initial thought was heat from something under this area like the exhaust.

Softop so no plumbing.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Keep them coming.!
Looking at the picture the moisture is just on the black plastic looking portion of the trunk. and on all sides as well that tells me it's condensation since you are in Florida and high humidity it's probably forming on the coolest and lowest location in the vehicle. Not sure what you can do to prevent this.

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can the plastic assembly be unbolted and removed from the vehicle easily? I wonder if you were to coat the exterior of the plastic with something like Lizard Skin if it would offer enough insulation to prevent the condensation?

Sponsored

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
☝Cavity full of air+temp or humidity differential+right above the muffler=condensation. I've seen it on a couple new ones including mine. Have not bothered looking since I put the hitch on but I don't believe it's a leak as much as the cavity and floor panel being plastic instead of breathable carpet.
I would think right above the muffler would add heat into the compartment which should reduce condensation. Unless somehow a bunch of short driving trips allow high relatively humid air in the cabin to somehow accumulate and condense as the temperature of the cargo bin warms and cools with no place for the condensed water to evaporate?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would think right above the muffler would add heat into the compartment which should reduce condensation. Unless somehow a bunch of short driving trips allow high relatively humid air in the cabin to somehow accumulate and condense as the temperature of the cargo bin warms and cools with no place for the condensed water to evaporate?
I would too but I don't think it really has anywhere to go once droplets start forming. The cargo floor is that hard panel and less permeable than say insulation backed carpet. I just know this is the first vehicle I've seen, even straight from the transport that's had this. I'd say take the plug out of the bottom but then you might start getting other road debris/dirt/water/exhaust coming in which would suck more than what's already happening. If they molded in some channels on the bottom side of the floor cover that could vent to the cabin, it would probably let it breathe and might eliminate the problem.

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would too but I don't think it really has anywhere to go once droplets start forming. The cargo floor is that hard panel and less permeable than say insulation backed carpet. I just know this is the first vehicle I've seen, even straight from the transport that's had this. I'd say take the plug out of the bottom but then you might start getting other road debris/dirt/water/exhaust coming in which would suck more than what's already happening. If they molded in some channels on the bottom side of the floor cover that could vent to the cabin, it would probably let it breathe and might eliminate the problem.
The muffler has nothing to do with it. If anything it would help. Moisture goes from wet to dry, and from hot to cold. It's not just a good idea, it's the (second) law.

The hard panel is a problem.

Liquid water is finding its way in the compartment by some mechanism, or the compartment is cooling below the dew point and vapor is condensing. I don't think liquid water is finding its way in.

If this is happening on Broncos at night, with the tops off, you can get black body radiation to the night sky (which is really, really cold) that can cool the compartment below the ambient temperature and cause condensation.

Also, if it is humid during the day, vapor will find its way in, and if at night the ambient temperature drops below the dew point you will have condensation.

If I think of the solution my price will be for Ford to deliver my October Granger reservation in the next scheduling session, and charge @Ford Motor Company a $10,000 ADM :)

Hartzco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have it. Mine was from some moisture getting back there in a light rain and the under part of the cargo area is like a sponge. I took it into a dealer with no fix and then removed the whole thing to find sitting water. I’ve made a case with Ford hotline and also DM’d them on here

DEC89A06-245E-4040-8487-6D43852CCD3C.jpeg

2B9A07C4-E09C-41E7-8DBA-0A0FDFA3CD15.jpeg

3160E586-6DED-4410-B0EF-6F34B0623252.jpeg

80705BE5-EB84-449C-AF1A-F8FB93EF3D34.jpeg

Sponsored

HeritageRider

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Xterra Pro-4X 2014 Focus SE 5MT 1994 H-D
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's a Ford thing... My '14 Focus always has water under the spare, sometimes a lot of it. :(

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Water down low look up,top leaking somewhere

OP
OP
Berwolf

Berwolf

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I sent a message to Ford, will report back what I hear or find out.
Sponsored