First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
I guess it depends on how structural that part is.
Things i would consider

1. Flexseal tape. I've never used it. But if you don't need the seal to be structural and it's for short time, then just tape for waterproofing. Worth a try. Also gorilla tape is great

2. There's always plastic weld.
Someone here recommended https://www.plastex.net/COMPLETE_KITS.php

3. If structual, id want to adhere a support. I've repaired motorcycle fairing cracks. They are ABS plastic. Sand down the paint. Bond strips or squares of 1/8" thick abs to the crack using pipe cement. The pipe cement doesn't just act as a glue, it melts the plastic abs of the fairing and strips so they fuse together. Id be curious if the bronco tops reacted the same way. For more on this some Google searches should lead you there. You'll also come across "ABS slurry", that's basically it. Then just paint over the repair

The key i guess it's finding what bonds with that type of plastic. I'm fortunate i haven't needed to figure it out yet

Then lastly, there's always the mechanical fix with hardware, drilling holes,stitching it up. But i don't think you need that
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dingbat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars, bikes, canoes, sailboatsā€¦
Your Bronco Model
Base
Get some THIN (slightly runny) clear epoxy and let it wick into the crack. Then within one to two minutes wipe off the excess with a clean, smooth cotton cloth. Use some denatured alcohol (Home Depot or Lowes in the paint department) and use another piece of clean cotton cloth and wipe off the surface to clean the epoxy smear with it. Do Not use acetone or you will melt the plastic.
If acetone will melt it acetone may be able to weld it back together. Is the MIC top ABS?
Is there any info out on what type of plastic it is?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If acetone will melt it acetone may be able to weld it back together. Is the MIC top ABS?
Is there any info out on what type of plastic it is?
Unknown plastic type on the MIC, but acetone on any type of plastic is bad news.

Acetone is for use on fiberglass / gelcoats.

Dingbat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars, bikes, canoes, sailboatsā€¦
Your Bronco Model
Base
Unknown plastic type on the MIC, but acetone on any type of plastic is bad news.

Acetone is for use on fiberglass / gelcoats.
If Iā€™m not mistaken, itā€™s also the solvent in ABS cement. Melts the ABS allowing the parts to bond. With a quick search it seems people are using it for various processes when 3D printing with ABS.
You mentioned in your previous post that it would melt the plastic. If this is true it may be able to be used to bond it back together.

https://www.matterhackers.com/news/how-to-make-abs-juice-glue-and-slurry

Acetone is for use on lots of things.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Get some THIN (slightly runny) clear epoxy and let it wick into the crack. Then within one to two minutes wipe off the excess with a clean, smooth cotton cloth. Use some denatured alcohol (Home Depot or Lowes in the paint department) and use another piece of clean cotton cloth and wipe off the surface to clean the epoxy smear with it. Do Not use acetone or you will melt the plastic.
Here is an article on how to thin epoxy using various methods.

Thinning Epoxy ā€“ How to Thin Epoxy Resin Correctly?

Cheap Tip: Try the one titled "Denatured Alcohol for Thinning Epoxy Resin" since you are going to need to purchase Denatured Alcohol already.

Mojave Lux

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Before my MIC build was delivered, bought a few packs of this J&B Weld ClearWeld 5-minute Epoxy

if any cracks open up then I plan to follow your procedure above
This should weather-seal any crack and stabilise it from opening further
Sponsored