aeolian

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had ExoShield installed on my Bronco’s windshield immediately after purchasing it.

Less than 900 miles later, the windshield has a major crack in it. I didn’t even hear anything impact the windshield, so it seems it failed even under ordinary circumstances.

Ford Bronco Installed ExoShield, windshield cracked anyway IMG_6388

Ford Bronco Installed ExoShield, windshield cracked anyway IMG_6390

Does anyone know if this windshield can be repaired even with ExoShield on it?
Sponsored

FreddieLee

Wildtrak
First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sorry about your luck, OP.

Nothing major, but I have a few rock chips on the windshield like everyone else does. Inquired about ExoShield at the local shop, and was quoted $595, but I kept thinking about the cost to replace the windshield, and the money I would lose in the existing STEK windshield tint and the ExoShield if it failed.

If you intend to replace the windshield, at minimum, I would ask your shop reinstall the ExoShield for free.

Last edited:

Offroad Newb

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Volkswagen Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Inquired about ExoShield at the local shop, and was quoted $595, but I kept thinking about the cost to replace the windshield, and the money I would lose in a tint and the ExoShield if it failed.
Yup, same here. I was going to go that route but the quote was close enough to my insurance deductible for a new windshield anyway.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yup, same here. I was going to go that route but the quote was close enough to my insurance deductible for a new windshield anyway.
Be careful using insurance to cover your windshield. My wife just had her windshield replaced, but her insurance company told her that her *overall* deductible would go up if she used insurance to cover it. It seems they no longer have a separate deductible for windshields like they used to.

dbattle

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Be careful using insurance to cover your windshield. My wife just had her windshield replaced, but her insurance company told her that her *overall* deductible would go up if she used insurance to cover it. It seems they no longer have a separate deductible for windshields like they used to.
Who’s your insurance through?

Sponsored

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not sure how that works or what they mean. You either have a separate deductible for glass or one regardless of what work is done. How would the deductible go up if used? Seems strange.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not sure how that works or what they mean. You either have a separate deductible for glass or one regardless of what work is done. How would the deductible go up if used? Seems strange.
It used to be separate for glass, but I guess they changed that. Now the deductible goes up any time you use the insurance to cover anything. Greedy SOBs.

KillerPenz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had ExoShield installed on my Bronco’s windshield immediately after purchasing it.

Less than 900 miles later, the windshield has a major crack in it. I didn’t even hear anything impact the windshield, so it seems it failed even under ordinary circumstances.

Does anyone know if this windshield can be repaired even with ExoShield on it?
I'm not sure what you guys expect from ExoShield. Think of it this way, it's basically the same thing as putting a Zagg on your phone. Sure it prevents the hairline scratches you'd get from tossing your phone in you pocket, or a purse. It will offer minor protection for drops, but it does not prevent your screen from being cracked due to a major impact. In my opinion, the ExoShield would act the same way. Help with minor chip, but a large enough rock at higher speeds is going to crack it.

I've been through 2 windshields already, still on 2nd windshield with cracks (no ExoShield), I've resorted to just keeping Rain-X Windshield repair in my truck. Catch a rock, next time I stop put the windshield repair over the crack, move on with life. Crack goes no further once it's repaired.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most EXO Shield installers should have a policy for repair/replacement of a windshield that gets cracked post install. I paid $225 for my policy (less than my deductible) and it covers up to $1500 to replace the glass. I took two rock chips in March and they removed the film, repaired the chips and reinstalled. I have $600 left of the $1500 for the next event. Since this is the third windshield in less than 2 years, I think it is worth the expense.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Guess I took the bypass and just got windshield coverage from the dealership when making the purchase.

Haggled the price down to $900 (they got money back in other places for sure), but I know these windshields are upright and fragile in comparison to more aerodynamic shaped vehicles, so a broken windshield is inevitable.

I know the films are popular, but sort of look like snake oil, meaning just seems like tint film that’s clear. I may be wrong and they’re thicker than that, but rocks are very unpredictable. I have Lux, so windshield is well over $1K, so just figured I’d save myself some future anger and roll into the cost of the truck.

Y2KFirehawk

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Also, if you ask insurance to quote and end up not going through with using insurance, the incident may still show on CarFax and impact resale value. (This happened with Progressive to me years back on another car)

FreddieLee

Wildtrak
First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How much are windshields?

THE Buckeye Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2021 BMW M4 Comp
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How much are windshields?
Mine was $1620 for the Factory glass installed by Safelite. Fortunately, I was able to get the Construction Vehicle who threw the rock to pay for it.
Sponsored