Sponsored

Anyone have experience with Exoshield Ultra Windshield Protection Film?

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2023 Bronco Heritage Edition
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

https://shop.getexoshield.com/products/ford-bronco-diy-kit

Thanks for any feedback you can provide. I have had a couple of windshield chips and cracks that Safelite has managed to repair but at this rate my windshield will be more resin than glass in a few months. If I ever get a hit that requires a completely new windshield I was wondering if this product would provide some protection without creating streaking from wiper blades or visual distortion through the windshield.
Sponsored

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought it. I have a love hate relationship with it.

Con’s: Installation was pita. I don’t have a lot of experience with vinyl etc. installs so I watched all the videos I could find, did my best to set my environment for success, even enlisted help, which is rare for me. It still went poorly. They claim it’s shaped to match the contour of the windshield, but it seemed flat as a board to me. I’d just get the bottoms settled, and parts of the top would pop up. I went round round, removed, re-applied. Finally had to use my heat gun, which for someone with my limited experience was scary. I finally got it to lay down, but it’s a bubbly dirty mess…
I’ve since tried to contact the company with a question about which window wash they considered acceptable for the material, and never heard back.

Pro’s:
Despite the mess, it’s hard to see unless you look for it. It’s not while I’m driving it bothers me, it usually when it’s parked and I’m approaching it or sitting in it.

I’ve taken at least two pretty hard rocks that I’m fairly confident would have caused a chip or crack without it. So far no evidence of the impact (or if there is I can’t see them with the bubbles and dirt lol).

Neutrals: my wipers seem to chatter more, but not awful. They claim the plastic is hydrophobic, which I took to mean will shed water quickly, but I don’t notice any rain-x like qualities. And on that, I’m very selective now about what ingredients are in my window wash. I don’t want some reaction to cause yellowing. I also worry about snow/ice removal. It hasn’t caused me problems yet that I’ve seen, but obviously I’m being extra cautious.

There. I think that’s everything. YMMV. Good luck.

FreddieLee

Wildtrak
First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Contacted my local tint shop about it a while back, and they said that it's an absolute pain to install, so until ExoShield sends a Technician down to teach their installers how to do it correctly, they won't offer it.

Waiting for STEK DYNOflex to become available in the US.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had the regular EXOShield installed by a trained professional. It's very good and you cannot even tell it's there. NO chips! The Ultra version came out a few months later...had I have known, I would have waited and got it. I have installed vinyl before but I would NOT do this myself. I see it as insurance to prevent cracks.

OP
OP
rcl4668

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks so much for the feedback! I am also disinclined to try to install this myself and I have the impression that my local glass repair and clearbra installers will not do it for liability reasons. I wonder if Exoshield has a list of local companies that would do the install?

Sponsored

FreddieLee

Wildtrak
First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks so much for the feedback! I am also disinclined to try to install this myself and I have the impression that my local glass repair and clearbra installers will not do it for liability reasons. I wonder if Exoshield has a list of local companies that would do the install?
The local tint shop that I mentioned in my other post was on their list of certified installers....

OP
OP
rcl4668

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks!

LuisF.Recio

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

https://shop.getexoshield.com/products/ford-bronco-diy-kit

Thanks for any feedback you can provide. I have had a couple of windshield chips and cracks that Safelite has managed to repair but at this rate my windshield will be more resin than glass in a few months. If I ever get a hit that requires a completely new windshield I was wondering if this product would provide some protection without creating streaking from wiper blades or visual distortion through the windshield.
@Underground Graphics owner/ operator Greg's Testimonial:

Think of it as a screen saver for your windshield. When I bought my Gladiator back in 2019 I immediately had it installed by one of my shop's partners. Back then it was $500 installed, hand cut, hand shrunk and hand trimmed. The first week on a drive to Dallas from Houston, I heard a pop. It was the first save. A small indention in the film, but no crack or chip in the glass! I ran this film for a year and unfortunately had a defect which was covered by warranty and replaced. The second film has been on since. Still the OEM, original glass. There are all kinds of small chips and some scratches (my fault for using a gas station window cleaner), but again, original glass. I could change it, but being my dedicated wheeling Jeep now it's just fine. Since then, I installed ExoShield on our shop 392 a year ago, it has 12k miles and no chips or cracks. And our Bronco has it (just got a new one, so new film). My point is, I personally have had great success with ExoShield. So much that UG decided to become an official installer and reseller once they made thier kits DIY. The ULTRA film is thicker, pre-cut and ready to install. Even comes with all the tools needed. Is is guaranteed? No. We have seen only two incidents of the film not capable of stopping a crack. But, 2 incidents out of 4 years is a good record. ExoShield offers additional windshiled insurance at additional costs to cover glass breakage, but must be purchased though official installer at time of install.

It may be best to watch these two videos:
Detailed Installation

Does ExoShield Film Really Work?

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! It's a great product, just trying to help our Jeep community as these windshields are expensive as you know!

E-mail: [email protected]
Phone #: 713.783.4739

Luis :cool:
Sponsored

Last edited: