First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It had been discussed heavily early on... but really, @Philly summed it up perfectly. That's really all you need to know.
Thanks man! I wasn't sure and I know some guys on here know way more then myself!
Sponsored

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would guess 33’s will fit, but you may need a leveling kit or larger bump stops to keep them from rubbing the fender flares at full flex and wheels/wheel spacers that will allow you to turn the larger tires to full lock without rubbing.

This is the same thing that needs to be done on the Jeep JK’s when upgrading to 33’s from the factory tires. I couldn’t tell you with the JL’s, but I bet it’s the same. Pretty simple and not too expensive.
You think that's due to the Badlands suspension being upgraded and why it's not an issue with the Badlands?

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Some say if you remove them and get into a serious wreck make you susceptible to legal action
From who? They don't protect the other vehicles, they are there to protect you. To my knowledge they aren't a federally mandated item.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You think that's due to the Badlands suspension being upgraded and why it's not an issue with the Badlands?
Exactly. Badlands suspension has increased ride height over all trims that do not include the Sasquatch package. Also, the offset/backspacing of the Badlands wheels was designed to run a 33” tire. On a Black Diamond seeing mostly street use, some Badlands takeoffs should work just fine. If you are going to be flexing the suspension off road I would plan on a leveling kit, larger bump stops, or you could just remove the flares.

None of this is guaranteed, but I would be very surprised if it was more labor intensive than this to swap on 33’s with zero rubbing.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Exactly. Badlands suspension has increased ride height over all trims that do not include the Sasquatch package. Also, the offset/backspacing of the Badlands wheels was designed to run a 33” tire. On a Black Diamond seeing mostly street use, some Badlands takeoffs should work just fine. If you are going to be flexing the suspension off road I would plan on a leveling kit, larger bump stops, or you could just remove the flares.

None of this is guaranteed, but I would be very surprised if it was more labor intensive than this to swap on 33’s with zero rubbing.
Ok. Thank you. Makes sense, just trying to visualize this stuff and make sure I'm thinking of this correctly.

Sponsored

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
From who? They don't protect the other vehicles, they are there to protect you. To my knowledge they aren't a federally mandated item.
Your passenger's lawyer may be interested you removed the crash bars.
In my younger days I would cut them out but as I grew older/wiser and financially more sound I have a lot more to lose.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm back to gauging the stock Badlands with nothing added to it (creature comforts, leave off the 2.7L upgrade, etc) and the Black Diamond with Mid and 2.7L.

I need to figure out, if the cost of the 33's and upgrades potentially needed with it, are worth it for me. Thanks again.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm back to gauging the stock Badlands with nothing added to it (creature comforts, leave off the 2.7L upgrade, etc) and the Black Diamond with Mid and 2.7L.

I need to figure out, if the cost of the 33's and upgrades potentially needed with it, are worth it for me. Thanks again.
Personally, I would probably go with the Black Diamond with 2.7L and mid if I were in your shoes. You don't need to swap to 33's right away, and Badlands take-offs will be a dime a dozen in a year or so, just like the Rubicon take-offs are. That will cover your wheels and tires. Also, most leveling kits for Jeeps are only a couple hundred dollars.

By going Black Diamond, you get all the creature comforts your want as well as an extremely powerful drivetrain. You don't need these things, but if they were important to you initially, you may regret on passing on them. Badlands advantages are in the sway-bar disconnect, beefier front axle, and stock front and rear lockers. It's going to depend on how you plan to use your Bronco most!

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I believe the crash bars are the same on the current Ranger and many who add bigger tires will swap them out with aftermarket versions. This way, they still get the protection (or at least some of it) and can run the larger tires. How safe it is to remove them, I do not know.

What I can tell you, is that they are bolt on and will be easy to remove if you need more clearance for larger tires. I took these pictures a couple of months ago of the front and rear crash bars in the front wheel well. This is on a Badlands with standard wheels and tires.

1615298506920.jpeg

1615298523775.jpeg
Fantastic pics!! So easy to understand now.

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Does anyone make an end cap for those? For the Ranger now perhaps then the Bronco eventually? I'd love to not have them but for a couple bucks an end cap would make a big difference aesthetically.
Ford Bronco Crash bars??? 1615308409541

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personally, I would probably go with the Black Diamond with 2.7L and mid if I were in your shoes. You don't need to swap to 33's right away, and Badlands take-offs will be a dime a dozen in a year or so, just like the Rubicon take-offs are. That will cover your wheels and tires. Also, most leveling kits for Jeeps are only a couple hundred dollars.

By going Black Diamond, you get all the creature comforts your want as well as an extremely powerful drivetrain. You don't need these things, but if they were important to you initially, you may regret on passing on them. Badlands advantages are in the sway-bar disconnect, beefier front axle, and stock front and rear lockers. It's going to depend on how you plan to use your Bronco most!
For most that will be the case, but remember, the SQ, BL and WT all have the HD front axle. Ford is being very specific about not running tires bigger than 265/70/17 on that set up (Ranger or Bronco). They have to warranty what they build and many of us would be fine, but it will be a weak spot with larger wheels and tires. At the end of the day, once I bought a second set of wheels and tires and potentially had to do a leveling kit and or wheels spacers, AM intrusion bars, the upgrade to BL was worth it, plus I got the Bilstein shocks and Sway-bar disconnect. Lot's of people are ok with the lighter axle and or a bit of wheel rub at full lock or full articulation. For me thats a no-go, along with removing the crash bars. If it was just me, I wouldn't care, but the thought of a passenger being injured or injured more severely because I removed the crash bar isn't a good trade off, but I make irrational decisions all the time about other things :)

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yep. For now it'll just be car camping and running fire roads/trails. I do not know what the future holds, but I envision trips out west with my wife and 2 boys as they get older. The big question is, will I want/need that extra capability? Only I can answer that, but I'm leaning no and going with the Black Diamond with the mid/2.7L. The need wouldn't come for at least 5-8 years, even then I might not be using this vehicle in a way that would need upgrades.

If I do, I'll go find a used Badlands! LOL

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Only passengers I have are my family. We are all covered by the same insurance.

Is your passengers lawyer going to sue you if you take your roof and doors off and end up in a big crash?

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

In my younger days I would cut them out but as I grew older/wiser and financially more sound I have a lot more to lose.
If you stab them in the neck, that would solve that problem.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Only passengers I have are my family. We are all covered by the same insurance.

Is your passengers lawyer going to sue you if you take your roof and doors off and end up in a big crash?
Good question. I know this is really off topic, but couldn't your insurance company also hassle the policy holder if the vehicle was modified in a way that made the accident more severe? That could go for any modification, and i really don't know what they could/couldnt do. Who knows.
Sponsored