Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah man, I don’t have to prove anything. Like your’s, it’s just a theory:ROFLMAO: some just happen to hold more water than others.

can you prove it was a bad install? Who cares it’s just a theory

Since you’ve been with Ford for such a long time, you should ask them what the difference is between the 2.7s that didn’t fail but was included in the recall and the ones that did. HINT: there isn’t one.

Good you bring up the Icon kit because I’m mildly familiar with it (I run it on mine). I believe that quoted 3” is from non-SAS height which is ~2” from SAS since you don’t use a set of spacers with the SAS shocks. Anyways, I actually measured the lift and its 2.56” in the front from stock non-SAS, so they lied. I can’t make the same comparison on Zone as I don’t have their kit but I am almost positive it’s higher. They lift the bronco the same way, just with different sizes on their spacers.

i know no one likes the guy that blames the lift since dealerships pull that garbage all the time, but think about it logically. If there are only 4 incidents where someone’s cv blew and it came all from the same kit when there’s about 5 other similar kits out, and the only difference between the kit that failed and the 5 others is the promised lift height, you wouldn’t, for a second think, that could be the cause? Quite a coincidence but we go and blame a boogeyman installer
I have no idea which 2.7 recall you’re even talking about 😂

All I know is my bronco cruises down the road just fine with the same kit that is supposedly breaking everyone’s CV shafts. I’m not sure how it’s doing it, I guess I’m just lucky 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have no idea which 2.7 recall you’re even talking about 😂

All I know is my bronco cruises down the road just fine with the same kit that is supposed breaking everyone’s CV shafts. I’m not sure how it’s doing it, I guess I’m just lucky 🤷‍♂️
Again, i don’t think it’s everyone, I theorize it’s a long term issue few will see with a lift this high and no other mods like a new crossmember/diff drop.

I think where we differ on is the base premise that every Bronco and every aftermarket part is exactly the same and therefore, they should all experience the same fate.

Last edited:

Lurker B6G

Outer Banks
First Name
Murph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Again, i don’t think it’s everyone, I theorize it’s a long term issue few will see with a lift this high and no other mods like a new crossmember/diff drop.

I think where we differ on is the base premise that every Bronco and every aftermarket part is exactly the same and therefore, they should all experience the same fate.
This is not the same kit, this is for the 2 inch lift [ZONF1221]. It has been purchased and measured by a member (not me). My strong feeling is that the exact same spacers are used in the 3 inch SAS kit, but with a larger (1.00 inch) perch collar.

Front Spacer - Tilted spacer measuring 7/8" on the thin side and 1 1/8" on the thick side (1.00" spacer lift), producing 1.5 inches of lift.
Rear Spacer - 1.30 inch spacer.

The only argument against the kit that I would consider is that the net operating angle (not the maximum droop - i.e. this is not a bind issue) is now up 1.2 + 3.0 = 4.2" from base (non-SAS) and that this operating angle does not leave enough CV engaged. Perhaps more likely, I would also consider the argument that a lot of Zone kits get installed, and that some have botched the CV during the install.

I know for a fact that the Fabtech spacer is 0.875" thick and have never heard of any issues with these, so I struggle to believe that the 1.00" top hat spacer is the issue. Either way, I would encourage the use of the 2" lift (ZONEF 1221), which I have consistently said appears to be the best "cheap" lift around for the Bilstein suspensions. If you need more than 2 more inches, start looking at options for a good sized differential drop.

OBX_SoFl

Outer Banks
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M4 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do you have a driveline vibration under throttle when in 4A? Mine does and trying to pinpoint the issue. Some people say it’s normal but I’m not sure.
I am having this issue on the zone 3” for Sasquatch. Did you figure it out?

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Likely a “long term” thing that Zone didn’t account for. They were one of the first to market with their kit, so my guess is they didn’t do much R&D beyond cycling the suspension to check the components dont bind at the new max angle , and calling it good. Also probably doesn’t happen to that many people so they would’ve needed a larger sample size of Broncos to see this issue.
With having worked in the off-road industry at one point for almost a decade, I would take a wild guess they didn't "cycle" the suspension. Maybe a functional fit to check actual lift with some pictures for the install instructions. Send it. Just my .02.

Also, spacer lifts are the devil. I don't recommend them for any vehicle.
For a lift only function, a perch spacer or coil preload spacer is the way to go.

I think the big issue here is the installation. There requires a ton of extra suspension travel to clear the lower and upper studs on the OEM strut. Most other setups with the lower bar-pin have removeable hardware and don't need to clear them to remove.
Drooping the suspension farther than it should, by a large margin, will exceed the plunge designed into the axle shaft, making it come loose from the CV (inner or outer CV). The shaft can be pushed back in, but would be something that should be done on a bench, not in the vehicle as it requires some disassembly to check that it's reseated correctly.

Sometimes the retaining clip is a spiral clip and the CV itself needs to be disassembled to remove the shaft (930 or racing type CVs). Alot of times, for OEM stuff, one or both of the clips, are a spring clip. Pull hard enough on the CV and it'll come apart. Ease of assembly and repair.

Ford Bronco CV axle BUSTED Web capture_11-9-2022_63030_i0.wp.com

Sponsored

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am having this issue on the zone 3” for Sasquatch. Did you figure it out?
nope. I just don’t use 4A it bugs me that it does have the issue. I can’t 100% blame the lift because I’m not sure if it was doing it before I did the lift unfortunately. Contact Zone though and let them know you have this issue so they can be aware. I did.

[email protected]

let me know if they figure it out. It’s been a bit since I have talked to them.

Oh by the way two dealers looked at the issue and marked it as normal no problem found. 😂 there obviously is one

OBX_SoFl

Outer Banks
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M4 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

nope. I just don’t use 4A it bugs me that it does have the issue. I can’t 100% blame the lift because I’m not sure if it was doing it before I did the lift unfortunately. Contact Zone though and let them know you have this issue so they can be aware. I did.

[email protected]

Oh by the way two dealers looked at the issue and marked it as normal no problem found. 😂 there obviously is one
Thanks I’ll keep you posted. My buddy is a Ford tech and we’re going to hook it up to a vibration tool they use that helps isolate where the vibration is coming from.

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

[email protected]

Thanks I’ll keep you posted. My buddy is a Ford tech and we’re going to hook it up to a vibration tool they use that helps isolate where the vibration is coming from.
Please do. It’s funny I mentioned wireless chassis ears to the advisor and he thought I was crazy. My guess is front axles or front differential

OBX_SoFl

Outer Banks
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M4 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Please do. It’s funny I mentioned wireless chassis ears to the advisor and he thought I was crazy. My guess is front axles or front differential
Update: So I’m in touch with Zone and they are asking for install photos and measurements.

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Update: So I’m in touch with Zone and they are asking for install photos and measurements.
there also gonna ask for alignment specs prob and then tell you to have a shop diagnose it. Thank you for the update

Sponsored

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

any update on this?

OBX_SoFl

Outer Banks
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M4 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

any update on this?
It’s in the custom shop now and they are working through some options directly with Zone. I’ve been a squeaky wheel and am not letting up on this one. Supposed to get the Bronco back on Friday. Had a bunch of stuff done to it beyond the lift and tires. I’ll report back with what they find.

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It’s in the custom shop now and they are working through some options directly with Zone. I’ve been a squeaky wheel and am not letting up on this one. Supposed to get the Bronco back on Friday. Had a bunch of stuff done to it beyond the lift and tires. I’ll report back with what they find.
thank you.

CASM920

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you ever find out what the cause was?

TurnerNHooch

Badlands
First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 YJ & all the F150s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have a stock Badlands and our CV joint sheared completely, dealer mech said he's never seen anything like it. :oops:
Sponsored