First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a 2022 SAS Wildtrack. It came with the Billstein suspension. I had some other components upgraded today and the service tech pointed me to a potential warranty issue. The driver's side CV joint on the transmission side had about a 1/4 inch of play. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I just discovered this today and have not taken it to the dealer yet.

Thanks for any feedback.
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a 2022 SAS Wildtrack. It came with the Billstein suspension. I had some other components upgraded today and the service tech pointed me to a potential warranty issue. The driver's side CV joint on the transmission side had about a 1/4 inch of play. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I just discovered this today and have not taken it to the dealer yet.

Thanks for any feedback.
Drivers side CV on the transmission side? What?
Are you talking about a halfshaft CV or a driveshaft CV?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Op is probably used to fwd vehicles where cv comes from transmission, probably diff side

OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My apologies, transmission stuff is not my wheelhouse and not my language. Apparently it is the half shaft at the diff. Clearly had about a 1/4 inch of play, which I did not notice until today when I picked it up from the shop that put in the Fox 2.5 upgrade; the suspension upgrade added one inch of lift and they changed the upper control arm to correct the geometry. After they did the alignment they brought it back to the lift and informed me the driver's side CV boot was not secured correctly, and the Diff side had play. I had not noticed any issues prior, but after picking it up and driving it home, I could feel the "clunk" when turning. They stated the suspension change did not involve anything with the CV. They seemed to think it was a Ford issue.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My apologies, transmission stuff is not my wheelhouse and not my language. Apparently it is the half shaft at the diff. Clearly had about a 1/4 inch of play, which I did not notice until today when I picked it up from the shop that put in the Fox 2.5 upgrade; the suspension upgrade added one inch of lift and they changed the upper control arm to correct the geometry. After they did the alignment they brought it back to the lift and informed me the driver's side CV boot was not secured correctly, and the Diff side had play. I had not noticed any issues prior, but after picking it up and driving it home, I could feel the "clunk" when turning. They stated the suspension change did not involve anything with the CV. They seemed to think it was a Ford issue.
Bronco coilover replacement is all about protecting the CV...

The end play is probably normal, but it sounds like they bent the CV joint too far during install and messed up the CV joint (Ford spec is 18 degrees max). This is a common problem when coilovers are replaced without dropping the LCAs or disconnecting the CV axle at the wheel hub. If you remove the UCA and force the wheel down to replace the coilover, the CV can be overextended and damaged.

You can try disassembling the CV and put the bearing balls back into place, but Ford considers it a replacement item. Note that it may be cheaper to buy the Ford Performance version of the axles.

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sounds to me like they damaged the halfshaft when installing the lift.

OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Can I drive it while I find a shop to replace the CV / axle?

refade1

Base
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes you can technically drive it for now (with precaution). I had the same issue happen to me when I installed a lift. I overextended the CV axel which I ended up having to replace. Sounds like the installation was not done correctly.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They most likely allowed your CV to separate when installing the lift. Ford will not warranty it.

would be interested to know if they separated the CV shaft from the spindle for the install or if they removed the inner LCA bolts. Seems to happen more when the shaft is removed from the spindle.

if you didn’t hear or feel the clunk before but do now, best guess is install error.

Sponsored
OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I definitely did not notice any issues prior to taking it to the shop for the suspension upgrade; definitely feel it now. We'll see how this goes....but clearly it seems like I'll be spending another grand ++ again. Sad thing is, my gut said just leave it with the Bill's and the factory lift and do a suspension change later on. Live and learn....and pay.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I definitely did not notice any issues prior to taking it to the shop for the suspension upgrade; definitely feel it now. We'll see how this goes....but clearly it seems like I'll be spending another grand ++ again. Sad thing is, my gut said just leave it with the Bill's and the factory lift and do a suspension change later on. Live and learn....and pay.
Whoever did the lift should be liable for the CV. You shouldn’t have to pay more. That’s why you pay someone who knows what they are doing in the first place. Most reputable places would cover it.

OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yep. first order of business...get it fixed. :)

OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Whoever did the lift should be liable for the CV. You shouldn’t have to pay more. That’s why you pay someone who knows what they are doing in the first place. Most reputable places would cover it.
Your user name caught my attention.. My pops (long since passed) was stationed at Kodiak in the late 50's with the USCG. He was a sonar operator on the Bittersweet. I have always wanted to go there and explore the area he worked. His ship travelled the Aleutian chain from Kodiak to the mainland.

OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Bronco coilover replacement is all about protecting the CV...

The end play is probably normal, but it sounds like they bent the CV joint too far during install and messed up the CV joint (Ford spec is 18 degrees max). This is a common problem when coilovers are replaced without dropping the LCAs or disconnecting the CV axle at the wheel hub. If you remove the UCA and force the wheel down to replace the coilover, the CV can be overextended and damaged.

You can try disassembling the CV and put the bearing balls back into place, but Ford considers it a replacement item. Note that it may be cheaper to buy the Ford Performance version of the axles.
Yeah...I think you are on point. Ford replaced the half axle (not under warranty) and I retained the old axle / CV's. The diff side was clearly separated inside in some form and had noticeable issues when I manipulated the joint. I took it back to the shop that did the install, and they are not, as of this moment, arguing the issue. No resolution yet....but at least it's fixed and I can drive it again.
Sponsored