First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Dealer called and said I have today today to decided….
OBX w/ Sasquatch
OBX w/out Sasquatch but add 4.27 gears

If no Sas, I will be adding 2” lift and 35’s. I’m leaning towards this bc I want different tires/wheels and this will be on pavement 98% of the miles so the extras with Sasquatch really are not valuable to me.

Input from people who have either???
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you are on pavement 98% of the time you should be fine non-squatch and add the lift/tires however the 4.27 gears not the best match for 35s, probably feel a bit sluggish.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why do you have to decide today?? Next round of scheduling is Thursday and people have submitted changes the night before and have gotten picked up. Builds can be summited at any time and there are also plenty more months of scheduling for MY22.

Curious, when is your reservation date and are you going MIC or soft top?

OP
OP
Brock9281

Brock9281

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Why do you have to decide today?? Next round of scheduling is Thursday and people have submitted changes the night before and have gotten picked up. Builds can be summited at any time and there are also plenty more months of scheduling for MY22.

Soft 7/25/21

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agree with your assessment.

If you are not planning on doing a ton of off-roading there is really no need to get the Sasquatch package. Just costs extra money and includes some additional components that may brake in the future.

To @PWillette's point, the 4.27 axle ratio is not ideal. But again, if you are sticking to the pavement the majority of the time you'll never have an issue—especially if you get the 2.7L engine.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Brock9281

Brock9281

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you are on pavement 98% of the time you should be fine non-squatch and add the lift/tires however the 4.27 gears not the best match for 35s, probably feel a bit sluggish.
Sluggish on pavement or off-road?

OP
OP
Brock9281

Brock9281

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Agree with your assessment.

If you are not planning on doing a ton of off-roading there is really no need to get the Sasquatch package. Just costs extra money and includes some additional components that may brake in the future.

To @PWillette's point, the 4.27 axle ratio is not ideal. But again, if you are sticking to the pavement the majority of the time you'll never have an issue—especially if you get the 2.7L engine.
2.3L

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sluggish on pavement or off-road?
On pavement mostly...off-road not as noticeable as your normally at slow speeds unless desert running.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Soft 7/25/21
The 7/21 res date hurts but opting for the soft top will help you out. The last round of scheduling had several late res soft tops getting pulled. However, it all depends on your dealerships allocations and the builds in front of you in their line.

FYI, having to finalize your build today is a dealership thing and not a Ford thing. But, if you want them to get it entered and eligible for the next round of scheduling you may have to play by their rules. And don't forget to negotiate pricing and get a purchase agreement signed by a sales manager.

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If u r 98% pavement, dont squatch. I struggled with this also, and decided to go BD, 2.7, AT and then 1" level front, then Method wheels with 285/70/17. The BD has the realr locker and the AT gives trail cruise and one pedal driving, will get me 90% over anything I would trail drive!

BTW, dont let yourself be cornered, a good dealer will help you, not set either/or deadlines

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ah... that makes things a little more interesting.

So just to explain a little bit...

The higher the axle ratio, the higher the final output torque is, and the easier it will be for the engine to turn the wheels. In other words, the higher the axle ratio, the more "get-up-and-go" the engine will have. The downside of an higher axle ratio is that you'll have a lower top-end speed, and your fuel economy will suffer.

Generally speaking you don't need that high of an axle ratio on pavement (unless you are towing), because pavement doesn't provide a whole lot of rolling resistance. That is why the trims that are more oriented for everyday driving (such as the Outer Banks) have a standard 3.73 ratio or an optional upgrade to 4.27. Meanwhile the trims that are oriented for off-roading (such as the Black Diamond trim) have a 4.46 axle ratio standard with an upgrade to 4.70 with the Sasquatch package.

If you are putting larger tires on a lower axle ratio, your engine needs higher output torque to compensate for the higher rolling resistance of the larger tire. The 2.7L engine has a higher output torque when compared to the 2.3L engine, which is why I mentioned the 2.7L.

Honestly the 2.3L engine will be fine with a 35" tire and the 4.27 axle ratio. But, as @Brock9281 said, it may feel less zippy and a little more on the sluggish side compared to the same 2.3L engine on a 32" or 33" tire.

If you don't care about that, you should be fine. If you do and you want a really zippy-feeling Bronco, then either grab the Sasquatch package, grab a Black Diamond with the 4.46 axle ratio, or upgrade to the 2.7L engine.

EDIT: Here is a calculator, if you want to see the math in action. It probably won't help you make a decision, but it'll at least give you an idea of how axle ratios and wheel sizes impact the overall vehicle.

OP
OP
Brock9281

Brock9281

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The 7/21 res date hurts but opting for the soft top will help you out. The last round of scheduling had several late res soft tops getting pulled. However, it all depends on your dealerships allocations and the builds in front of you in their line.

FYI, having to finalize your build today is a dealership thing and not a Ford thing. But, if you want them to get it entered and eligible for the next round of scheduling you may have to play by their rules. And don't forget to negotiate pricing and get a purchase agreement signed by a sales manager.
I’m next for dealer

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dealer called and said I have today today to decided….
OBX w/ Sasquatch
OBX w/out Sasquatch but add 4.27 gears

If no Sas, I will be adding 2” lift and 35’s. I’m leaning towards this bc I want different tires/wheels and this will be on pavement 98% of the miles so the extras with Sasquatch really are not valuable to me.

Input from people who have either???
Get the squatch

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We're assuming a helpful and timely dealer... big assumption
Sponsored