David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 77 Bronco, 72 FJ40, 65 Scout, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I know there are a number of factors that drive towing capacity but why can the new Defender tow significantly more than the Bronco? The dimensions and torque of each are very similar so why such a difference? Correct me if I'm wrong but the Bronco is rated at 3,500 lbs (same as the Wrangler) but the Defender is 8,201 lbs.

https://www.landroverusa.com/vehicles/defender/specifications.html
Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i'm beginning to think that maybe ford doesn't want to conflict with the F150 since the bronco's specified tow capacity is only 3000# (with a bolt in Class II hitch).

they could get a double sell. Buy a Bronco and Buy a F150 to tow it to the trails.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The new defender can't tow anything. TFL's has been in the shop virtually the entire time they've had. Even flew in techs and parts from the UK who couldn't fix it.

Absolute piece of garbage.

Plus it's ugly as fuck.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yup. ford picked a number, but hasn't told specified what the limiting factor is.

at least FCA let us know that the limiting factor on the diesel gladiator vs the ram diesel was cooling capacity was lacking on the gladiator.

Sponsored
OP
OP

dmully

First Edition
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 77 Bronco, 72 FJ40, 65 Scout, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Towing ratings and reasons why Bronco has a 3,500 towing rating has been covered in depth multiple times.

Please give the search function a try and you'll get a lot of valuable information.
First thing I did was search the forum and read through the towing related posts prior to posting. I found multiple mentions of the towing limitation due to the frame, height, wheelbase, etc. My question is that if those are the key factors limiting the tow rating on the Bronco, how is a very similarly sized Defender so much higher? If this specific question has been answered, please share the link... Thanks

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
First thing I did was search the forum and read through the towing related posts prior to posting. I found multiple mentions of the towing limitation due to the frame, height, wheelbase, etc. My question is that if those are the key factors limiting the tow rating on the Bronco, how is a very similarly sized Defender so much higher? If this specific question has been answered, please share the link... Thanks
You know, i'm having a difficult time coming up with anything regarding tow ratings, chassis tuning, suspension or the Defender.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i think we've been rick-rolled!

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This has been discussed in terms of what the bronco is equipped with and how it limits tow rating. The new Defender is a completely different chassis and suspension design... that's why the ratings are different. Being the same general size has *nothing* to do with it.

Reactions: RG7

Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This has been discussed in terms of what the bronco is equipped with and how it limits tow rating. The new Defender is a completely different chassis and suspension design... that's why the ratings are different. Being the same general size has *nothing* to do with it.
pointers please!

we know it's not wheelbase, or horsepower, or roll center
(virtually the same between the 4dr bronco and the defender)

and it's not the coil-overs (common to both the lower end defenders and the bronco)

cooling capacity?
braking capacity?

the nut behind the steering wheel?

Norville

Black Diamond
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 BMW 325i, 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Regardless the "reason" is, I'm starting to consider a Tundra and turn in my Tacoma since I need the towing capacity. I'd hate to daily drive a Tundra though.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

pointers please!

we know it's not wheelbase, or horsepower, or roll center
(virtually the same between the 4dr bronco and the defender)

and it's not the coil-overs (common to both the lower end defenders and the bronco)

cooling capacity?
braking capacity?

the nut behind the steering wheel?
It could be the coil-overs (stiffer and tuned for highway/dynamic driving and towing on the defender vs softness and flex for off-roading in the bronco).

Could be cooling ability.

Could be braking ability.

Could be center of gravity of the vehicle.

Could be suspension geometry.

Could be, could be, could be.

What is the base question you are looking to answer? Is it something along the lines of a general "why do some vehicles have higher tow ratings than others?" or is it more "is there something I can do to increase the towing capacity of the bronco?"

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am pretty sure it is in the suspension. The Bronco has a “dumb” suspension and it spring rates are set up for articulation. The Defender (when it works) has a “smart” suspension where the “spring” rates can be adjusted according to load and conditions.

The fact that the Wrangler can tow 5000 braked lbs in Europe and Australia, despite being rated for only 3500lbs in the US, combined with the Defender 2dr towing capacity Leads me to believe the Bronco can safely tow more—especially with modifications to strengthen the hitch and the stiffen the rear suspension—but Ford is being conservative.

Apparently US drivers are less educated on braked versus non-braked trailers, and more likely to sue, so our ratings for the same vehicle have a high factor of safety.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the real question is what is the limiting factor for the tow capacity?

did ford pick a number that wouldn't conflict with other vehicle sales?

or is it like why PPF can't be ordered with a sasquatch (yup, GVWR)?
(speculation by B6G)

or is it a litigation/liability issue?
(those idiots who air down will forget to air up and reduce the roll stiffness to the point where rollovers will occur again)
Sponsored