Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reviving an older thread here. Has anyone looked into this more seriously?

I am very interested in a diesel swap for my Bronco. Manual trans solve a lot of potential issues, but wondering if the CAN authentication is a non-starter. I have some experience here, so I think its doable, but wondering if anyone has taken the leap yet.

As for the folks wondering why, it would be nice to get 50%more range on a tank and better mileage under load/big tires. Diesels are just plain cool, and even the 2.8 can be tuned to 200+ HP easily, I'd rather drive a tuned diesel than a tuned ecoboost. Especially a Cummins.

Also, I would definitely not be adding an exhaust torpedo, obviously.

That said, the best engine on the market for this application, IMHO is GMs 3.0 I-6. Light, powerful, efficient. No idea how much worse the tech side might get though.
Id go cummins 2.8…… but thats me
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Id take an OEM+ I4 turbo diesel so long as I can keep the stick
Late to it but party on.

20 years after a domestic gas only vehicle ceases production you can legally import the foreign diesel version. Think LR Defenders from Spain.

Is it worth it, even to go diesel in an available SUV such as Jaguar F-type where combined diesel rating is 29 mpg and gas is 22? This week (today is 1/26/23) averaged US price per gallon diesel is $1.20 higher than 87 octane gas.

per 1000 miles, 22mpg = 45.45 gallons @ $3.415 = $155.22
per 1000 miles, 29mpg = 34.48 gallons @ $4.604 = $158.75

diesel would cost more until you factor in upgraded fuel cost for premium
45.45 gallons @

difference of 30 cents for premium unleaded makes cost per 1000 @ $164.31 a savings for diesel of about a whopping $109 for a year of 1000 miles per month.

Now, take a Jeep Wrangler diesel whose mpg is 25 compared to V8 gas at 14, yes you will save $83/1000 miles but that is still only just shy of $1000/year at 12000 mpy. If a diesel powered vehicle costs say $3000 more msrp after 3 years your just break even not counting blue juice

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Late to it but party on.

20 years after a domestic gas only vehicle ceases production you can legally import the foreign diesel version. Think LR Defenders from Spain.

Is it worth it, even to go diesel in an available SUV such as Jaguar F-type where combined diesel rating is 29 mpg and gas is 22? This week (today is 1/26/23) averaged US price per gallon diesel is $1.20 higher than 87 octane gas.

per 1000 miles, 22mpg = 45.45 gallons @ $3.415 = $155.22
per 1000 miles, 29mpg = 34.48 gallons @ $4.604 = $158.75

diesel would cost more until you factor in upgraded fuel cost for premium
45.45 gallons @

difference of 30 cents for premium unleaded makes cost per 1000 @ $164.31 a savings for diesel of about a whopping $109 for a year of 1000 miles per month.

Now, take a Jeep Wrangler diesel whose mpg is 25 compared to V8 gas at 14, yes you will save $83/1000 miles but that is still only just shy of $1000/year at 12000 mpy. If a diesel powered vehicle costs say $3000 more msrp after 3 years your just break even not counting blue juice
After much review, if I wanna diesel offroader, LJ70

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Given the tech on all these post 2010, especially post 2020 vehicles I think there is a market for some kind of arbiter module that will have the capability to translate between essentially any other modules. That way you can engine swap all kinds of modern engines into modern vehicles and the "arbiter" module with get the right signals to the right modules in the right format. I see the regulatory environment being the biggest hurdle, but maybe they could get around that with "off highway use only" like for beadlock tires, that nobody listens to anyway lol.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Given the tech on all these post 2010, especially post 2020 vehicles I think there is a market for some kind of arbiter module that will have the capability to translate between essentially any other modules. That way you can engine swap all kinds of modern engines into modern vehicles and the "arbiter" module with get the right signals to the right modules in the right format. I see the regulatory environment being the biggest hurdle, but maybe they could get around that with "off highway use only" like for beadlock tires, that nobody listens to anyway lol.
You and I have the same great ideas!!! This is bound to happen SOON. And I hope it does. You know anyone in the hacker/programing/hardware fields? All it really takes is a few folks putting the right things together.

Sponsored

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The new Australian Ranger is still available with the 3.0l turbo diesel V6. The gen 6 Broncos are on a related chassis so I’d think that putting the Aussie 3.0 in the Bronco would be possible. Way more torque than the 2.3 at about 440 ft-lb and 246 or so hp.

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The new Australian Ranger is still available with the 3.0l turbo diesel V6. The gen 6 Broncos are on a related chassis so I’d think that putting the Aussie 3.0 in the Bronco would be possible. Way more torque than the 2.3 at about 440 ft-lb and 246 or so hp.
Does it come in Manual?

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have looked at this for a long while. it is as close to drop in as anything, problem is acquiring the engine. I reached out to one company in Australia, and they took weeks to respond before finally giving me a "no". i'm sure you could just order one from the dealer there, probably ~$10k with no core to charge, but the issue is getting it stateside. I think there are some significant hurdles with importing the engine.

The alternative is to buy the 3.0 powerstroke from a dealer here in the US as an F-150 replacement. Much easier (still about 10k), but the problem there is the oilpan and some other components need to be swapped for the Aussie variant to fit the T6 platform (clearance over the front axle). Also the PCM and SW is a bit different from what they sell overseas so that may add another hurdle. I imagine it may be easier to work with the Aussie platform PCM/SW for T6 integration, but I don't know for sure.

If someone can figure out how to get a few 3.0 diesels stateside for 10-15k, I will fabricate the bellhousing adapters for cost of material! (this all assuming we can get the SW to work).

the 3.0 is objectively the best diesel for the bronco in terms of plausibility and practicality but I still need someone to talk me out of the 6.7 HO lol (it fits if you relocate the oil filter, oil cooler, and cut a power bulge in the hood.)

Last edited:

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does it come in Manual?
No, but I don't think that is the end of the world. You probably get stuck with some DTC's but you can rev and engine in neutral lol so if anything, using a manual eliminates a whole aspect of SW tuning/compatibility that has to be perfect. If baseline neutral/park doesn't work, then you just need a way to communicate that you are in gear (any gear)

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Diesel is dead in the US except for commercial and HD trucks

Thank dieselgate and US Refineries for not making enough.

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thats why we're entertaining the swap, and not a petition for Ford to add it. Ford would never give you a diesel + manual these days anyway (nor any OEM).

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Its all politics at the end of the day, bottom line

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have looked at this for a long while. it is as close to drop in as anything, problem is acquiring the engine. I reached out to one company in Australia, and they took weeks to respond before finally giving me a "no". i'm sure you could just order one from the dealer there, probably ~$10k with no core to charge, but the issue is getting it stateside. I think there are some significant hurdles with importing the engine.

The alternative is to buy the 3.0 powerstroke from a dealer here in the US as an F-150 replacement. Much easier (still about 10k), but the problem there is the oilpan and some other components need to be swapped for the Aussie variant to fit the T6 platform (clearance over the front axle). Also the PCM and SW is a bit different from what they sell overseas so that may add another hurdle. I imagine it may be easier to work with the Aussie platform PCM/SW for T6 integration, but I don't know for sure.

If someone can figure out how to get a few 3.0 diesels stateside for 10-15k, I will fabricate the bellhousing adapters for cost of material! (this all assuming we can get the SW to work).

the 3.0 is objectively the best diesel for the bronco in terms of plausibility and practicality but I still need someone to talk me out of the 6.7 HO lol (it fits if you relocate the oil filter, oil cooler, and cut a power bulge in the hood.)
I just came across this...maybe ford will sell them?

https://www.fordcomponentsalesllc.com/powertrain/ford-3-0l-v6-diesel-engine/

Screenshot_20231014_085150_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Screenshot_20231014_085144_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the 3.0 with the 7 speed would be awesome with all that low rpm torque available
Seriously, no hot rod but would just be so nice to drive. It would actually be down on peak power from the 2.3 but I guarantee the usable power band would be a huge improvement since I already spend 99% of my driving at 1.5k-3k RPM. Would definitely feel like it has more power. Also the jump in gearing from 2nd to 3rd is too high in the 7MT. more noticeable at elevation, I just cant climb grade well at anything below 2.5k RPM in 3rd, so have to resort to screaming in 2nd gear. 3.0 Diesel would solve that and chug along fine at the lower RPMs.
Sponsored

Last edited: