First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 F250 Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seeing a few companies on their v8 swap projects is pretty cool, however something id be more interested in especially in my 2 door with tiny fuel tank would be a diesel. Maybe an i4 turbo with that low end torque with our manual would be the ultimate sweet spot with great economy, better range and best crawling power. Anyone else agree?
Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having legit done about 8 Cummins 4bt swaps personally
1) I lost interest in the amount of time and money to do it
I have the skills, tools and knowledge and it’s a lot of work

i suppose I could be talked into doing it with the Cummins repowers at $150 an hour and you pay all materials
All

OP
OP
PcDBronco

PcDBronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 F250 Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having legit done about 8 Cummins 4bt swaps personally
1) I lost interest in the amount of time and money to do it
I have the skills, tools and knowledge and it’s a lot of work

i suppose I could be talked into doing it with the Cummins repowers at $150 an hour and you pay all materials
All
The process, just like any swap, would certainly be difficult or not possible due to electrics. Im more interestes in the benefits of the idea. Jeep offers(offered?) A diesel and its obvious ford would never do it or else they would have much like the v8. Im just wondering how well it would improve the broncos ability to be a solid rig. Reliability,mpg,low torque for big tires all things that would benefit usually from these engines.

Bronc5280

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shevrolegs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seeing a few companies on their v8 swap projects is pretty cool, however something id be more interested in especially in my 2 door with tiny fuel tank would be a diesel. Maybe an i4 turbo with that low end torque with our manual would be the ultimate sweet spot with great economy, better range and best crawling power. Anyone else agree?
I am picking up what you are putting down.

Watching this thread.

Planet_Express_IV

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

https://www.drive.com.au/reviews/2023-ford-everest-v6-prototype-review-quick-drive/
The Ranger and Everest get both a single turbo and bi-turbo i4 diesel overseas as well as the 3.0L V6 turbo diesel like the one that used to be used in the F-150, so they should probably be able to fit in the Bronco, but you'll need to figure out the computers.

The I4 is available with a manual transmission, but the V6 was automatic only though.

Sponsored

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Id take an OEM+ I4 turbo diesel so long as I can keep the stick

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Eco boost engines frankly use a lot diesel tech already turbo charged intercooled and high pressure common rail injection. I don't really see much advantage to a swap both the 2.3 and 2.7 have good low end torque and economy. I get 18+ mpg with a 2.3 sas 4 door I doubt a small diesel would be any better and I'm a diesel guy.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Eco boost engines frankly use a lot diesel tech already turbo charged intercooled and high pressure common rail injection. I don't really see much advantage to a swap both the 2.3 and 2.7 have good low end torque and economy. I get 18+ mpg with a 2.3 sas 4 door I doubt a small diesel would be any better and I'm a diesel guy.
16.8 with my lead foot, sport mode and 5th for passing power

ColonelAngus

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 07 BMW 335i, 05 Saab 9-5 Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I won't be doing any swaps as its really doesn't end up making sense unless you just want it...

HOWEVER, if I were to do a diesel swap, bmw 3.0 i6 turbo diesel hands down. Its a fantastic engine.

Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
I remember absolutely everyone in the Jeep forum was asking for a diesel Wrangler. Jeep finally came through yet I rarely see them on the road.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Caveat: Id only wanna diesel without Emissions crap added to it

My Dads ‘18 Range Rover TD6 is nice, but the whole def fluid crap is annoying, and because we didnt get the fancy ass eurotrash blend of pee or whatever def fluid really is, we gotta take it to the dealer so they can flush it, since…
Ford Bronco Diesel engine swap options? B6DA24A5-D5FF-454E-B39F-A7D22A4A9250

scratch diesel off the list, unless its a 90s offroader or pre-06 truck

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reviving an older thread here. Has anyone looked into this more seriously?

I am very interested in a diesel swap for my Bronco. Manual trans solve a lot of potential issues, but wondering if the CAN authentication is a non-starter. I have some experience here, so I think its doable, but wondering if anyone has taken the leap yet.

As for the folks wondering why, it would be nice to get 50%more range on a tank and better mileage under load/big tires. Diesels are just plain cool, and even the 2.8 can be tuned to 200+ HP easily, I'd rather drive a tuned diesel than a tuned ecoboost. Especially a Cummins.

Also, I would definitely not be adding an exhaust torpedo, obviously.

That said, the best engine on the market for this application, IMHO is GMs 3.0 I-6. Light, powerful, efficient. No idea how much worse the tech side might get though.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Agree 100%, full send!

Thankfully diesel is over $7.00 a gallon now, so this makes sense. If only VW had helped Ford out.
Sponsored