Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Knowing my own welding skills, I’ll never stand anywhere close to a homemade recovery point of any kind while in use.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Alan22

Alan22

Black Diamond
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2015 Mustang GT, 2018 Wrangler Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Knowing my own welding skills, I’ll never stand anywhere close to a homemade recovery point of any kind while in use.
Most Tow points on new vehicles aren't welded, they're bolted to a torque spec. Even the ones on the modular bumper are bolt on.

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Years ago, my buddy make his bumper for his Grand Cherokee. He took thick cardboard to build his mock-up and when he was satisfied with what he had designed, he disassembled the cardboard, all held together with tape, and used it all as templates for cutting, grinding and welding.

It takes time, but goes back to the saying, measure twice, cut once. With that, he used spot welds putting it together, did his test fit before doing all the final welds.

Even if you cannot weld yourself, you can do all the cardboard mock-up and then take it down to a machine shop and pay them to build it for you. More likely than not, you will still come out ahead with a custom bumper designed by you for your needs, wants and vision for cheaper than ADD or any of these other companies. You can even incorporate a light weight aluminum skid plate. Just remember aluminum and steel do not mix, so you will need some kind of composite spacer or depression of some sort 😁

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most Tow points on new vehicles aren't welded, they're bolted to a torque spec. Even the ones on the modular bumper are bolt on.
…of that I am aware.
See a lot of modded LRs with welded on recovery points.

OP
OP
Alan22

Alan22

Black Diamond
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2015 Mustang GT, 2018 Wrangler Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

…of that I am aware.
See a lot of modded LRs with welded on recovery points.
I like you wouldn't trust that at all, but on the counter side should we trust bolts?

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like you wouldn't trust that at all, but on the counter side should we trust bolts?
I suspect OEM designs have the proper engineering and fastener grades behind them.
Sponsored