Sponsored

Do I keep or sell my Bronco Back to the dealership?

bobzules

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2.3L
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I purchased a 2022 4 door Outerbanks 2.3 L back in July 2023 from a private party in California basically brand new (had 2300 miles on it). I love this car, the uniqueness and everything is a win in my book. I started hearing a loud clunk in the transmission (video attached). After many trips and repairs it is still doing it however I have a lemon law case out. They have reprogramed the ECM and replaced the valve body but it is still doing it. I have a couple of options hopefully after a successful lemon law case. To add some mix into this, I sold my hard top for around 7200 in cash and purchased an OEM soft top for 300. I bought this at 52k after taxes (no sales tax arizona private party) so I am net into this car at around 45k. Not a bad all in price for an essentially 1 owner vehicle. I WFH and don't comment so put around 15k miles a year.

Option 1: Take a cash settlement and ride car to ground. Use cash to buy an extended warranty for 10 years or 175k miles. Warranty is around 4500.
Option 2: Take cash settlement, pay down loan and ride car until 60k miles (end of dealer warranty) and trade it in
Option 3: Buy back and get a badass higher trim bronco wildtrak (fear of having the same issues)
Option 4: Buyback and wait for the new land cruiser to release

This is all a first world problem but im sure with a lot of folks on here that the bronco is the coolest looking most unique vehicle on the market where shopping for another one is just wasting time.

Sponsored

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I purchased a 2022 4 door Outerbanks 2.3 L back in July 2023 from a private party in California basically brand new (had 2300 miles on it). I love this car, the uniqueness and everything is a win in my book. I started hearing a loud clunk in the transmission (video attached). After many trips and repairs it is still doing it however I have a lemon law case out. They have reprogramed the ECM and replaced the valve body but it is still doing it. I have a couple of options hopefully after a successful lemon law case. To add some mix into this, I sold my hard top for around 7200 in cash and purchased an OEM soft top for 300. I bought this at 52k after taxes (no sales tax arizona private party) so I am net into this car at around 45k. Not a bad all in price for an essentially 1 owner vehicle. I WFH and don't comment so put around 15k miles a year.

Option 1: Take a cash settlement and ride car to ground. Use cash to buy an extended warranty for 10 years or 175k miles. Warranty is around 4500.
Option 2: Take cash settlement, pay down loan and ride car until 60k miles (end of dealer warranty) and trade it in
Option 3: Buy back and get a badass higher trim bronco wildtrak (fear of having the same issues)
Option 4: Buyback and wait for the new land cruiser to release

This is all a first world problem but im sure with a lot of folks on here that the bronco is the coolest looking most unique vehicle on the market where shopping for another one is just wasting time.

I would take the buyback & purchase a vehicle that you really want and would have full confidence in. (You wouldn’t be asking for opinions if you wanted to keep it)

Dusmw

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250/Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford is not going to write you a check and let you keep the vehicle. They take it back disclose it is a repurchase and send the dealer auction. Someone signs disclosures and buys it at a discounted price.

they will depreciate use (miles). At best lemon law outcome is the problem vehicle goes away.

Wouldnt count on hitting home run nor gaming the system mfg deal with these cases all the time. It is a machine and parts fail, are improperly mfg., and break.

Get it fixed and keep or get rid of it. Business decision no different than ones you make every day in your vocation.. My Bronco is great but it is basically a means of transportation.

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you like the Bronco get a new one... but you will need to add $15-20k or so for a fully featured WT trim. If you are eyeing the Defender I would wait for the 4Runner since you don't seem to immediately need the vehicle. The upper trims of the 4Runner are going to be much closer to a Bronco, and you will also get the option of a proven Toyota hybrid engine. That's what I originally wanted before Toyota started delaying the 4Runner refresh year after year. That's what I will likely end up with in 2030 or thereabouts.

Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Option 3 and then if buying a used Bronco, get the vehicle history from a Ford dealership, by 2300 miles my warranty work was already documented. The warranty work was, some body & paint corrections and a rear camera connection replaced due to a broken pin when assembled; nothing that would keep me from buying a Bronco the dealership were selling.

But a history of powertrain inspections or work would steer me away from any used. If new, just remember for every complaint on the forum there are many more that are happy that don't start a thread; you're first thread is a complaint. Not a knock, just showing that people's posts are more about what goes wrong than a hundred posts about "today nothing went wrong with my...) doesn't get attention.

Cool posts on what I did or where I went drive us to want one, I'm trying to enjoy those while being informed if needed. So far so good.

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve had a ‘13 Land Cruiser since new, now with 175K miles, and a ‘22 Badlands 2 door Mansquatch since 3/22 with 14K miles. The former has been my daily driver and the latter my toy. I’ve made 3 wonderful treks to CO/UT from TX in the Bronco and have not had any problems.
But if the car in question is your daily driver, then I’d have to go with the Land Cruiser, even though I’ve only seen the new one on paper.

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Option 3, and if you get a WT you are getting the 2.7.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Warranty will not cover known issues and they will fight you every time you need work done. Warranties are money makers for those who sell them!

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think Granger still has the ford protect warranty for dirt cheap. I paid around 1650 to get the 8 year 100k warranty. I'd do that and then just sell at the end of 100k miles.

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't understand the cash settlement scenarios. You think Ford is going to fix the transmission and then turn around and cut you a check for your troubles? At best they would offer up an extended warranty.

I think your choices are lemon law or press for a new transmission.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would take the buyback & purchase a vehicle that you really want and would have full confidence in. (You wouldn’t be asking for opinions if you wanted to keep it)
This is always the thing. The minute you have a lemon law buy back option, take it. You're already apprehensive about the vehicle, you're worried about something going on already and if they haven't proven they can repair it in multiple attempts. Get out of it and start over. There should be no worry about the same issue in a different vehicle of the same model/brand, but if you're worried about that then take your money and walk away. Never settle for something. If you're not happy and can get out, GET OUT!

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2013 F-150 XLT HDPP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am in a situation with Ford now based on engine power and brake issue, they are very slow to respond. I already had the manual transmission in for it's work. It took over three weeks after them stating all they needed was one week. The current situation has been ongoing for over two months now, with no end in sight. Honestly, I have loved my past Fords, still own two others, but the current management from this company gives me no confidence. The CEO has admitted huge issues with quality control publicly, but they just seem unwilling to make the changes to correct them. I've looked at Jeeps and Xterras before and even some Toyotas, but never bought them because they weren't Fords. Once the Bronco came out, I was excited and purchased mine in August of 2022. I've had a really fun time with it, but Ford has not committed to fixing the issues at hand (when even their software said it was the issue), so while I like your option #3, your option #4 is probably a better long-term selection as much as I hate to say it.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you can get a settlement take it! Then get what you really want- another Bronco or something else. And have fun shopping around- that's so fun shopping and test driving.

ZeoBandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to buy
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm not familiar with CA lemon laws, but I always thought Lemon Laws only applied to the original owner. It sounds like you are the second owner. Am I wrong here?
Sponsored