Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’d buy a Tesla if I wanted Eco mode. Then I could feel good about burning coal in a power plant to charge a cobalt battery mined by African slave kids in the Congo.
Ford Bronco Does anyone want ECO mode you-sir-have-just-won-the-internet-2005215
Sponsored

erik1220

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Chrysler 300S, '89 Toyota MR2, '09 Altima
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I wouldn't mind having an eco-mode as long as it doesn't automatically engage every time the car is turned on. If I want it while cruising on a long road trip that is fine....but 90% of the time I will want it off so my Broco shifts properly and is in a usable power band.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like Eco Mode like I like A.S.S.; easy to permanently disable by finding the right fuse/plug

timo98

First Name
tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
various
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you are a person who drives to how many degrees your ankle rotates, you likely see a fuel economy improvement with Eco mode.
If you are a person who drives to your internal accelerometer, you will not.
Eco mode doesn't help at steady state 80mph
Fuel cert tests are done in prevailing mode which is Normal in this case. Eco mode is not reflected in the fuel labels. Those tests are done to a speed trace. The pedal is pushed to the position that enables the speed to be matched. All mode change does is determine how far the pedal has to be pushed to match the trace.
Eco mode makes it a little easier to ignore the devil on your shoulder but doesn't improve the fundamental economy capability of the truck.
The modes are a huge marketing item but also necessary to get around the nannies mandated for on road vehicles that would totally neuter the vehicle off-road or on a race track(for our car friends)

Last edited:

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I drive 700 miles to work and back once a month. I will be using it on those trips.
Those are the exact trips that eco mode has zero effect on

Eco mode will not give better steady state freeway mileage

It costs a certain amount of gas to cruise at 75 mph.... Pushing a button can't change that

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

it's not a 'want', I'd not decide on a car because it's has it, I but if it's there I'll use it. Most of my driving is around town, shuffling the kids around and running errands, not something where I need a sport mode of any kind as I'm mostly on residential streets.
I never had a car with modes, my Tacoma has a button called ECT Power or something like that, it seems to help in the mountains, but I have no idea what it does and I rarely engage it.

But if it's there and maybe saves a couple $ on gas over time, why not. A bit more $ for fun additions or a 6pack is always good :)

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You got it exactly

Eco just gives changes the throttle curve, so if you ask for 30% it gives you 20%..... But if you need to get up to speed you will just push the throttle further and basically negate what eco mode does

Eco mode does nothing to boost steady state efficiency

Do you guys really think there could be a special button that magically gives more mpg? C'mon guys...... There's no free lunch.
Thanks for saving me some key strokes, I was going to say basically the same thing.

I do like at least two different drive modes that are easy to toggle between. I don't want to deep dive into a menu, or reach behind my beverage in the cup holder to press a button, if I get the sudden urge to do something agressive.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you are a person who drives to how many degrees your ankle rotates, you likely see a fuel economy improvement with Eco mode.
If you are a person who drives to your internal accelerometer, you will not.
Eco mode doesn't help at steady state 80mph
Fuel cert tests are done in prevailing mode which is Normal in this case. Eco mode is not reflected in the fuel labels. Those tests are done to a speed trace. The pedal is pushed to the position that enables the speed to be matched. All mode change does is determine how far the pedal has to be pushed to match the trace.
Eco mode makes it a little easier to ignore the devil on your shoulder but doesn't improve the fundamental economy capability of the truck.
The modes are a huge marketing item but also necessary to get around the nannies mandated for on road vehicles that would totally neuter the vehicle off-road or on a race track(for our car friends)
Do all Ford vehicles with ECO mode revert to Normal when you turn it off then on again? If not then they will not assume Normal is the prevailing mode. They will otherwise decide prevailing mode or do tests for every mode and average them.

Speed matching rather than acceleration matching should not require more throttle application. The shift points could also be changed in a way that results in lower average rpm.

The EPA also does a A/C test, and some Eco modes reduce A/C output which could further increase MPG ratings.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Has anyone who is blasting Eco mode ever driven a car with drive modes?!
I got stuck with a RAV4 as a loaner when my Tundra was in the shop a couple of times. They had Eco, Normal, and sport modes. Eco mode was terrible if you needed to get on the highway, which I did (less than 2 miles of my 25-mile 1-way commute is off of the highway). I couldn't tell a difference between Normal and Sport.

I also got stuck with a Camry once. It had modes, but I never used them. It ran like a striped assed ape in Normal mode. It would have been a fun little car if getting in it didn't wreck my back within 5 minutes of sitting down.

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Modes are marketing garbage anyway

You want the car to act differently then you use your feet differently

All eco does is flatten the throttle curve a little, it doesn't magically give you better mpg
I don't particularly care if it has it or not, but this statement is not necessarily accurate. Eco modes can control many varying things. Particularly in Automatic or CVT transmissions. Shift points, line pressure, A/C compressor output, throttle curve, response time to throttle input, gear selection upon throttle, gear selection not under throttle, cruising rpm, etc. Different manufactures have different variables with their eco mode. Some work better or worse depending on view than others.

Sponsored

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do all Ford vehicles with ECO mode revert to Normal when you turn it off then on again?
Every Ford with it I have ever driven does revert upon shutdown. Other manufacturers do not.

FastM400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Navigator L, Wrangler JKU, Noble M400
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Then I could feel good about burning coal in a power plant to charge
Just to make sure we get some accurate info on here, an internal combustion engine at 30mpg emits 300% the CO2 per mile as a Tesla that is charged on a 100% coal-powered grid, which doesn’t even exist in the USA.

In any case, ECO mode is for fleet emissions compliance and has a minimal effect on both cost to run and carbon footprint of each vehicle on an individual basis.

I’ll use the EV for commuting and the Bronco for off-the-beaten path adventures, ECO mode or not! Although the R1S might make a good package for both... maybe I should just garage the FE and resell after ICE vehicle production begins its decline ;)

Last edited:

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I voted no as I would use it rarely. I have it in my C7 Corvette, and all it does is keep the engine in 4 cylinder mode in situations where it would normally go back to all 8. I only use it when on a long road trip out west where the roads are flat, and long. I'm old school, and think a motor should be hitting on all cylinders. So, it would be an odd occasion that I would use ECO in the Bronco

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’d buy a Tesla if I wanted Eco mode. Then I could feel good about burning coal in a power plant to charge a cobalt battery mined by African slave kids in the Congo.
So much truth to that! I actually like EVs, but the folks with the big green save the planet bumper stickers makes me reluctant to buy one. At least with a ICE engine your only putting out a little carbon and not both carbon and smug like an EV.
Sponsored