Sponsored

Does it make sense to remove bash plates?

BigMex

Badlands
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 White Ford Bronco (moar door, 7spd, lux)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m considering whether or not it makes sense to remove the factory bash plates for everyday-type driving, as a weight and fuel cost saving feature and minimize exposure to road salt this winter… and I’m not afraid to admit I’m a noob (never had bashplates on my 4Runner or FJ).

I figure I can put them back on when I hit the trails in the summer, right? Is this smart, stupid, crazy, dangerous? Help.
Sponsored

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
i would think the bash plates might slightly (albeit slightly) protect the rest of your undercarriage from the salt exposure.

Fluid Film the whole underbody (bash plates removed) just to be sure.

I'm so worried mine is getting delivered to Ohio in February and I'm going to be laying in snow with my pressure washer cleaning the underbody off after driving 2.6 miles from the dealer to get the salt off so I can get it in the garage, dried off, and Fluid Filmed.

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m considering whether or not it makes sense to remove the factory bash plates for everyday-type driving, as a weight and fuel cost saving feature and minimize exposure to road salt this winter… and I’m not afraid to admit I’m a noob (never had bashplates on my 4Runner or FJ).

I figure I can put them back on when I hit the trails in the summer, right? Is this smart, stupid, crazy, dangerous? Help.
I have a Big Bend and I just realized that the bash-plate just under the front bumper is plastic, so no big weight-savings for me! I will never hit the trails, so it's not too much of a disappointment!

Nolabel

Wildtrak
First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you want to save on fuel than just taking off 100lbs of sprung weight won't net you much.

Your best bet would be to reduce your rotational weight. That would be best if you are only worried about fuel savings and can also make it feel more peppy.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BigMex

BigMex

Badlands
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i would think the bash plates might slightly (albeit slightly) protect the rest of your undercarriage from the salt exposure.

I'm so worried mine is getting delivered to Ohio in February and I'm going to be laying in snow with my pressure washer cleaning the underbody off after driving 2.6 miles from the dealer to get the salt off so I can get it in the garage, dried off, and Fluid Filmed.
You’re totally hitting upon some of my concerns: brine and salt (I’m in Ohio). Another friend recommended FluidFilming too, and even gave me a “trial” can. I don’t have access to a lift and am wondering if I should splurge for some kind of jack stands and get all greasy before bad weather really hits…

OP
OP
BigMex

BigMex

Badlands
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you want to save on fuel than just taking off 100lbs of sprung weight won't net you much.

Your best bet would be to reduce your rotational weight. That would be best if you are only worried about fuel savings and can also make it feel more peppy.
Yeah… great observation! Thanks. I’d say that fuel savings is actually secondary to minimizing places where road salt and brine can get trapped all winter.
Please explain rotational weight. You calling me fat? 🤣🤣🤣

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
You probably won't need a lift to get under the carriage

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You’re totally hitting upon some of my concerns: brine and salt (I’m in Ohio). Another friend recommended FluidFilming too, and even gave me a “trial” can. I don’t have access to a lift and am wondering if I should splurge for some kind of jack stands and get all greasy before bad weather really hits…
Just pay someone. $2-500. Save on the tools and your time

OP
OP
BigMex

BigMex

Badlands
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You probably won't need a lift to get under the carriage
I’m closer to 50 than 20… or 30… or 40… and although it is a Badlands, you give my flexibility and agility too much credit. Thanks! 😁

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I convinced my dealer to deliver my Bronco to my house before the paperwork was completed because it was supposed to snow the next day and the roads would be salted. They were cool about it.

It’s sitting safety in my garage with 14.9 miles on the odometer until I have a chance to fluid film it, or I’ll just wait until spring to drive since it’s not a daily driver.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I convinced my dealer to deliver my Bronco to my house before the paperwork was completed because it was supposed to snow the next day and the roads would be salted. They were cool about it.

It’s sitting safety in my garage with 14.9 miles on the odometer until I have a chance to fluid film it, or I’ll just wait until spring to drive since it’s not a daily driver.
Sounds eerily similar to what mine will do until fluid filmed. Told my wife I'm going to hold onto my Forester until winter is over.

I was debating asking the dealer if they would just throw my bronco on a lift and get lost for a few hours while I fluid filmed it before driving off but I am sure theres all sorts of liability with that.

Maybe I can get them to trailer it over to my house for me.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

A lot of fuel efficient cars have covers underneath for aerodynamics to improve gas mileage.

It'd be curious to determine if removing the bash plates actually helps or hurt your mileage because of weight savings versus aerodynamics.

It doesn't snow where I live so I don't have to deal with road salt. But unless it's a full belly plate then I could see salt getting on top of the bash plates and preventing you from cleaning it out.

Bongo Fury

Base
First Name
Bongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
"Is this smart, stupid, crazy, dangerous?"
>insert< not worth the effort
While great for their intended off road usage there's more practicality than just the trail protection. I've had them on a couple vehicles and the most noticeable result was a cleaner lower motor, tranny and linkage.
The daily road debris is knocked out just as a hood guard deflects bugs and stone chips.
Sponsored