ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My wildtrak only has the modular bumper with front bash plates. I’d like to give it better coverage. What’s the best way to do that? I only see the OEM full set for $830, which includes the front plate that I already have. Is there any way just to purchase the other pieces?
Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My wildtrak only has the modular bumper with front bash plates. I’d like to give it better coverage. What’s the best way to do that? I only see the OEM full set for $830, which includes the front plate that I already have. Is there any way just to purchase the other pieces?
If I was you, I would just buy the ARB full skid plate protection. It's cheaper than OEM and probably better.

https://www.pandamotorworks.com/pro...k748gy5GudD_be_StZ_LbrI6sS36wtOwaAt8qEALw_wcB
5893264295d0cf76a014cf0d9c2d914a_420x420.jpg

OP
OP
ramblinwreck

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If I was you, I would just buy the ARB full skid plate protection. It's cheaper than OEM and probably better.

https://www.pandamotorworks.com/pro...k748gy5GudD_be_StZ_LbrI6sS36wtOwaAt8qEALw_wcB
5893264295d0cf76a014cf0d9c2d914a_420x420.jpg

Thank you and you are probably right. I was leaning towards just completing the stock setup because of cost and weight. I live in the SE and don’t really need a heavy weight full coverage set. I’d expect the OEM set to be more than adequate. That being said, if the cost is the same…

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you and you are probably right. I was leaning towards just completing the stock setup because of cost and weight. I live in the SE and don’t really need a heavy weight full coverage set. I’d expect the OEM set to be more than adequate. That being said, if the cost is the same…
As far as your question, if you want OEM skids, buy the full set and sell or keep for replacement what you don't use. As you'll see below, you can spend a lot more. If you do that, you'll probably also want a transmission plate, since OEM omits it.

The OEM actually misses a couple of big spots (transmission and gas tank*). It's 3/16" steel, which is good and tough, but the omissions are befuddling, especially since both (I believe) expose plastic. Ford seems to have made several decisions based on weight, I presume. They also have exposed bolts. I personally want the Next Venture full belly skids w/UHMW, but $3400 is a chunk and I wouldn't recommend them for your use case anyways.

Lots of other pretty good ones for a lot less, though. @Bird Dog Off Road and @popo_patty I believe have videos detailing installing their preferred skids, if you check YouTube.

* I think...

Last edited:

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
You can add the mabett transmission plate(amazon) for $120 and the Ford transfer case skid(Ruxer) for $60. Then you will need to find a gas tank skid if you don't have that.

Asfir sells the pieces separately as well

Sponsored
OP
OP
ramblinwreck

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As far as your question, if you want OEM skids, buy the full set and sell or keep for replacement what you don't use. As you'll see below, you can spend a lot more. If you do that, you'll probably also want a transmission plate, since OEM omits it.

The OEM actually misses a couple of big spots (transmission and gas tank*). It's 3/16" steel, which is good and tough, but the omissions are befuddling, especially since both (I believe) expose plastic. Ford seems to have made several decisions based on weight, I presume. They also have exposed bolts. I personally want the Next Venture full belly skids w/UHMW, but $3400 is a chunk and I wouldn't recommend them for your use case anyways.

Lots of other pretty good ones for a lot less, though. @Bird Dog Off Road and @popo_patty I believe have videos detailing installing their preferred skids, if you check YouTube.

* I think...
Thank you for that. I did not realize the stock skids did not cover the gas tank. That was actually my biggest concern.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Buying after market is the best way. Some designs are better than others so do your research.

Shawn of the Dead

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Focus, 4 motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you for that. I did not realize the stock skids did not cover the gas tank. That was actually my biggest concern.
Stock Wildtrak protection has a gas tank skid plate. Mine does. Look under your rig. Its plain as day. You can often find OEM skids on Ebay. I saw a trans skid a few weeks ago for $70

OP
OP
ramblinwreck

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Stock Wildtrak protection has a gas tank skid plate. Mine does. Look under your rig. Its plain as day. You can often find OEM skids on Ebay. I saw a trans skid a few weeks ago for $70
Looks like I just have a plastic tank hanging out. And it already has scrapes on it where I’ve bottomed it out.

IMG_0152.jpeg

Shawn of the Dead

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Focus, 4 motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looks like I just have a plastic tank hanging out. And it already has scrapes on it where I’ve bottomed it out.
Holy Crap !! That's crazy. My 23 WT def has a skid plate on the tank. I bet you have a 4 door. IIRC the 2 doors have a tank skid and the 4 doors don't which is dumb if you ask me.

Sorry about that !! I didn't think about the 4 door difference.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ramblinwreck

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Holy Crap !! That's crazy. My 23 WT def has a skid plate on the tank. I bet you have a 4 door. IIRC the 2 doors have a tank skid and the 4 doors don't which is dumb if you ask me.

Sorry about that !! I didn't think about the 4 door difference.
No worries, and the fuel tank is my biggest concern. It is so huge that it is just begging for a puncture.

Heckler

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Bad_Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Chevy Nova SS, 2021 Ford Bronco WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

sportcoupe

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't think fuel tank skid is standard equipment on a Bronco except maybe Raptor and 1st Edition. The tank skid is part of an optional package. My 2023 WT had it but I optioned for full skids also.

The OEM Ford parts skid system mentioned for $830 includes the fuel tank skid and others. Nothing from Ford protects the transmission though. That will have to be aftermarket.

Last edited:

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

the steel bash plates were an option on wildtrak but I don’t think they came with the gas tank skid. Only black diamond and badlands get gas tank skid and bash plates as standard
Sponsored