Sponsored

Does iwatch ford app need iPhone to unlock?

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like to jog without carrying keys and sometimes have top off. I had top on this week and put iPhone and fob into center console, and locked door using ford app on iwatch. Went jogging and came back and iwatch had hardest time getting me back in. I think the issue is my iwatch is not cellular so maybe it has to use Bluetooth connection to iPhone to send signal to ford to send signal back to car to unlock, and I lit hard trouble getting good signal to iPhone in console? Is that why I had trouble unlocking?

I just bought faraday bag. What I like to do when top is off is to lock wallet and iPhone in center console, then take keys and open tailgate and throw Fob in with spare tire tools. Then close gate and lock and unlock with iwatch app. I hate leaving keys with Bronco though even though it is locked as feels like someone could just jump in and take off., even though it should be locked. If I put keys in faraday bag, and use iwatch to unlock, does iwatch have to use Bluetooth connection to iPhone to lock/unlock? Or can iwatch communicate directly with Bronco?
Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have not tried this but can tell you that the watch to the phone uses Bluetooth. I would try with the phone sitting on the seat as a test to see if your safe is blocking the signal. The other issue could be that the cell signal from the phone to the tower is being blocked by the safe. The phone needs to connect to the tower so that Ford knows to send the unlock signal to your Bronco.

Shenanigans

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
First thing you need to know is you will need a cell signal to use app to unlock your doors. Whether using the iPhone or Watch. So if you happen to go off the grid you won’t be able to lock or unlock using the app. Since your Watch is non cellular it has to be using the phone to send the signal. Now if you put your iPhone in a Faraday bag that can’t happen. I like the idea of using the bag for FOB and phone as an extra precaution. If you want to test this just turn your phone off and try the watch to open doors, my guess is it won’t work. If this is a common situation you may want to get the keypad then use the bag. If you don’t like the look then install it in fuel door or get the black cover and install it on trim piece between door window and rear window so it blends in or if you have doors off.

misterspivey

Wildtrak
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes, what BigHoof and Shenanigans said. The best way to solve your problems is to install the wireless keypad. I installed my keypad behind the fuel door and when I go running, I put my FOB in a faraday bag and lock it in my console safe with my wallet.

OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks guys - I was not sure if the iwatch communicated directly to the Bronco, or the iPhone, and if the iPhone communicated directly to Bronco or up to ford and back down to Bronco. Guess the iPhone communicated to ford and that is why it must be in range, but thanks for all the info.

Mjasi3

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Apple Watch “talks” to iPhone. Unless it has its own cellular connectivity.
Sponsored