Sponsored

Does OEM Soft Top come with all necessary hardware attached to the top?

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Not trying to start a discussion of soft top vs hard top or OEM vs Trektop.

I'm interested in getting an OEM soft top. When they come from the factory, do they basically have all the hardware attached together to the frame and soft top material?

I'm used to Jeeps and bestop products that have a bunch of extra hardware parts you need for the install.

There is one an hour or two away that I could buy, but I'm having trouble figuring out if it would have all the hardware I need to install it (and the seller doesn't seem totally sure).

I'm having trouble figuring it out from what I can find online or on the forums. This thread helped a bit, but didn't give me a final answer about it.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/can-you-buy-a-oem-soft-top.22069/
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The top itself should be pretty straight forward. Don't forget the two latches inside the rear cargo area that secure the top on both sides though.

I'll be following this thread as I plan on selling mine once my ADV hardtop arrives - I want to make sure I'm not forgetting to give the new owner all the right hardware.

Stick in the Mud

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are two brackets on the side that you may need, where the soft top latches near the rear row of seats. I’ve also read reports of the two side channels (where the windows push in just behind the rear row of seats) are missing on vehicles sold as hard tops.

my wife’s Bronco came as a soft top and has all the parts so if you’re looking to put some kind of a trade together for your hard top, dm me.

OP
OP
Dral97

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My plan is to run the hardtop during winter and switch over to soft top in summer.

It was a pain to switch out the hardtop and bestop on my last wrangler, but this switch over doesn't seem too bad. Thanks folks. I'll have to check on the latches and the window trim channel pieces.

I'll update as I go along so others might know what to expect.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The soft top itself is actually composed of about two dozen different parts.

Last I checked you had to order each component individually and once you added it all up it was around $8000. You'd have to talk to a dealer to see if they can order the complete assembly or not. If they can, it should be substantially cheaper. But my guess is they probably won't be able to order that yet.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dral97

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yep, in that thread I linked, I see all the parts attached. It looks like most of what is needed are all the frame parts. It looks like the one I'm lookin' to buy local has all that stuff, I just don't know if the attachment point parts are all there.

It's currently in the shop. I'm on hold with the dealer as I type this. They're looking into it.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can't buy a complete top. Have to get frame, body brackets, side and rear windows, center latch bracket, side window attaching trim at "C" pillar, rear cargo area trim panels, latch brackets and hand full of hardware. Not worth piecing one together, easier to find someone selling at this point.

Stick in the Mud

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your best bet is to buy one from another Bronco owner or to call a salvage / parts dealer, they can look in the network to tell you who's got an assembled soft top... but you're still probably going to need to buy the brackets and the window fittings.

OP
OP
Dral97

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thanks Flip and Stick in the Mud. I do have someone who is selling. I contacted the seller, but they are telling me it looks like what they have is the top and the frame parts. I'm not sure if the C pillar attachments, cargo area parts, and latch brackets are with it though (I doubt they are). Doubt if windows are with it either.

It sounds like I would need those parts even though it's the soft top and the frame already that the person is selling.

What a pain. Looks like I may be going trektop if I want to do this. I really wanted the ability to fold the whole thing back OEM style. Oh well.

I suppose last ditch effort is to try to find a salvage yard for the parts I need. Based on what the dealer told me just now, getting all those other parts is basically not worth it. He was like "If you want an OEM soft top, it might just be better to trade in your bronco for one that has the soft top", if that's any indication of what a pain in the arse it is to get it set up. heh.

Well, not the answer I wanted to hear, but thanks a bunch for you help, folks. I'm glad I checked here before I went and bought it (and got stuck without all the other stuff I needed for it).

Guess I'll wait and see if anything else is released. If not, looks like it'll be a trektop. I'm going to need a nice spring Saturday or evening and a beer or two to get through that install.

Last edited:

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's my best guess on part numbers. Willl need to have trim shop install the canvas and also may need a bunch of trim clips and such for the rear inner quarter panels. List price on this stuff would be a shade under $12,500.00

M2DZ-7853000-BDSOFT TOP CLOTH, 5 DOOR
1​
M2DZ-7852700-BD5 DOOR (Top canvas)
1​
M2DZ-78501C22-DBRIGHT GLASS, TINTED
1​
M2DZ-78501C23-DBLEFT GLASS, TINTED
1​
M2DZ-7842006-DBREAR GLASS, TINTED
1​
M2DZ-78255A34-AARIGHT MOULDING
1​
M2DZ-78255A35-AALEFT MOULDING
1​
W721331-S450BMOULDING BOLT
6​
M2DZ-7831012-ACRIGHT QUARTER TRIM PANEL
1​
M2DZ-7831288-AARIGHT TRIM
1​
M2DZ-7831013-ACLEFT QUARTER TRIM PANEL
1​
M2DZ-7831289-AALEFT TRIM
1​
M2DZ-78515A54-BLATCH BRACKET
2​
W718804-S450BLATCH BOLT
2​
M2DZ-7829452-AFRAME MOUNT
2​
W707288-S442FRAME BOLTS
10​
M2DZ-78515A52-BRIGHT TOP BRACKET
1​
M2DZ-78515A53-BLEFT TOP BRACKET
1​
W721070-S450BTOP BRACKET BOLT
4​
M2DZ-7850196-ACBOW COVER 1,2
2​
M2DZ-7850196-BABOW COVER 3
1​
M2DZ-7850196-CABOW COVER 4
1​
W790580-S900BLIND RIVETS
30​

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dral97

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Spot on. I wasn't going to mention it, but the dealer told me about $13k before labor.

OUCH! Trektop it is unless I can somehow find a salvage yard bronco to pull from (probably not happening).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dral97

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Well, I'm not giving up hope yet now that I'm looking into it more. The seller has the canvas attached to all the frame parts.

I found this thread and it looks like I would just need some latches and window trim pieces.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/soft-top-help.33785/

However, it looks like they don't have the windows either, so it still may be a no go.

CapeCodCash

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco and 14 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The soft top itself is actually composed of about two dozen different parts.

Last I checked you had to order each component individually and once you added it all up it was around $8000. You'd have to talk to a dealer to see if they can order the complete assembly or not. If they can, it should be substantially cheaper. But my guess is they probably won't be able to order that yet.
I ordered the MIC top and the soft top. The Bronco arrived yesterday. The MIC top was on the vehicle. The dealership folded down the rear seats (2 Dr) and put the unassembled soft top and all it's pieces in the back. There must be 100+ pieces. None of it is put together. I'm not sure what I expected. I would have preferred if the Bronco was delivered with the soft top assembled and on the Bronco. Not sure how the MIC top would have gotten to the dealership. But the thought of assembling the soft top now is very overwhelming.

Tacoman

Raptor
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Code Orange Braptor, 2022 Black Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Well, I'm not giving up hope yet now that I'm looking into it more. The seller has the canvas attached to all the frame parts.

I found this thread and it looks like I would just need some latches and window trim pieces.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/soft-top-help.33785/

However, it looks like they don't have the windows either, so it still may be a no go.
Did you ever find a new, still strapped to plastic pallet OEM soft top? I ask as i just picked one up this week, and plan on converting my Braptor hard top to soft top this weekend and am assuming all hardware is in box that is attached to soft top packaging crossed..

OP
OP
Dral97

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I never did. All I ever found was the top fabric attached to the frame.

Let us know if everything is included in what you got.
Sponsored