Sponsored

Does your tailgate brush the window when you close it?

Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wondering if this is normal or a potential issue. When I close the rear door, it rubs against the bottom of the window frame. If it was a soft gasket or something, I'd be less concerned, but this is a pretty solid plastic in that area. The PPF guys actually trimmed the film in this area because it caused the PPF to come off. Essentially with it always hitting the hard plastic, there was no way to not have the PPF eventually come off

Ford Bronco Does your tailgate brush the window when you close it? 1679943008131
Sponsored

BeachTiger

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's not normal. I just measured the distance between the hard plastic and the tailgate on mine, and it's about 1/8 inch.

OP
OP
Quest

Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's not normal. I just measured the distance between the hard plastic and the tailgate on mine, and it's about 1/8 inch.
FFS, I was afraid of that. A small gap like you have is what I would think is normal.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your picture makes the rear glass look crooked. Is it really low on the passenger side, and have a progressively larger gap on the driver side?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Quest

Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Your picture makes the rear glass look crooked. Is it really low on the passenger side, and have a progressively larger gap on the driver side?
It looks about even in that respect. The location it rubs happens when the area behind the tail light reaches the window. Once the tailgate moves the window enough to get past the lip, it closes ok after that.

What I have noticed though is there is something not right on the passenger side tail light area.
On the driver's side the rear quarter (above and below the tail light), the edge of the light, and the small panel between the light and the door are mostly flush. Perfectly, no, but certainly what I would consider reasonable.

On the passenger side, it is the same except for that small panel between the light and the door. At the top, it is about a 1/2" further into the body than the rest of that area.

Driver side
Ford Bronco Does your tailgate brush the window when you close it? 1679950211673

Passenger side
Ford Bronco Does your tailgate brush the window when you close it? 1679950266187

Ford Bronco Does your tailgate brush the window when you close it? 1679950302187

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have about a 1/4" gap from the door to the hard plastic window frame. In that gap is the rubber gasket for sealing. My PPF is holding up just fine in that location.

oeFtosU.jpg

xp93FU1.jpg

OP
OP
Quest

Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have about a 1/4" gap from the door to the hard plastic window frame. In that gap is the rubber gasket for sealing. My PPF is holding up just fine in that location.

Ford Bronco Does your tailgate brush the window when you close it? xp93FU1

Ford Bronco Does your tailgate brush the window when you close it? xp93FU1
Great... I have literally 0". The small lip on the hard plastic above the gasket hangs slightly in front of the top of the door.

landwarrior

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great... I have literally 0". The small lip on the hard plastic above the gasket hangs slightly in front of the top of the door.
Have you found a solution for this problem? I realize that this thread is a year old. I have the same problem, but for me it’s a new one. Had my Bronco for 2 years now, just installed a roof rack and RTT (TrailRax and Inspired Offroad respectively). I think that weight addition may have eliminated the gap I had before. It’s quite frustrating as I made sure the weight of the rack and RTT would be less than the max dynamic weight the roof is rated at.

Or perhaps it’s not weight related and just due to me reinstalling the roof seated slightly different than before!?

I’ll add some pictures tomorrow - would love to know what you ended up doing (if anything).

OP
OP
Quest

Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Have you found a solution for this problem? I realize that this thread is a year old. I have the same problem, but for me it’s a new one. Had my Bronco for 2 years now, just installed a roof rack and RTT (TrailRax and Inspired Offroad respectively). I think that weight addition may have eliminated the gap I had before. It’s quite frustrating as I made sure the weight of the rack and RTT would be less than the max dynamic weight the roof is rated at.

Or perhaps it’s not weight related and just due to me reinstalling the roof seated slightly different than before!?

I’ll add some pictures tomorrow - would love to know what you ended up doing (if anything).
Ford did fix this for me as a warranty item. I don't have exact details on what they did, but it had something to do with adjusting the hinge/mount point for the tailgate. I am guessing they took the tailgate off and found a point where they could slide the hinge-body mounting area down some.

Unless you took the tailgate and/or rear window off, I guess it relates to the roof. The original gap may already have been small and the change, while possibly not a lot, was enough to remove the existing gap fully. PITA to do, but removing the RTT temporarily to see if the gap comes back is the simplest way to see if that is the source of the issue (unless the RTT permanently changed the roof in some way).

You may still be able to adjust the tailgate to get back enough gap. Assuming the RTT changes are not doing something that could damage the roof long-term.
Sponsored