Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, Subaru Forrester, Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I spent some time digging through threads here about running only the front panels of the hard top without the large clamshell on the back. I couldn’t get a good answer so I just went for it. Drove 3 hours round trip going 80+ and didn’t have any issues. Much easier than putting the entire top on, relatively quiet, and shades all the seats. I will absolutely continue to do this, but I’m sure Ford would recommend against doing this so do it at your own risk. Just giving a data point for anyone that wants to give it a shot. I did use a bungee cord from the rear panel to the car seat hook in the back but it wasn’t necessary.

IMG_9189.jpeg
Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Been waiting for somebody to answer this question, and I was too scared to try it myself...

applause-leonardo-dicaprio.gif

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Now reverse them so the fronts are on the rear and the rears are on the front.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I spent some time digging through threads here about running only the front panels of the hard top without the large clamshell on the back. I couldn’t get a good answer so I just went for it. Drove 3 hours round trip going 80+ and didn’t have any issues. Much easier than putting the entire top on, relatively quiet, and shades all the seats. I will absolutely continue to do this, but I’m sure Ford would recommend against doing this so do it at your own risk. Just giving a data point for anyone that wants to give it a shot. I did use a bungee cord from the rear panel to the car seat hook in the back but it wasn’t necessary.

IMG_9189.jpeg
I also did that this past weekend while at the beach. Liked it like that and will do it often. I also had my front doors off at the same time. Didn’t hit 80 though, lol, but I don’t see a reason not to do this as the pull down latches are engaged.
IMG_0422.jpeg

Sponsored

Anvilair1973

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 door and 1994 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for this post! Been dying to try this and you just gave me the sack to do it 😂 Thanks again!

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

certainly not an easy and quick removal, but with the way it latches onto the Bronco I can't imagine why this wouldn't work. Both the front freedom panels and the middle panel have actual latches, plus the J-hooks that hold themselves all together. If you've got a place to store the back cap, this is a great way to drive /shrug

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The only issue is that to get the back cap on or off, the middle panel has to be off, which also requires front panels to be off, or at least unlatched.

It was really nice cruising the beach with the rear cap and front doors off. The front panels providing shade and a little rain protection. (It sprinkled off and on all weekend).
I had put the rear doors back on because of the poke my tires have, even with front mudflaps, the back seat passengers were getting pretty sandy lol.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

IMG_9189.jpeg
I think the reason Ford won't recommend this is that the inner rear latches attach to the mid panel, and without the mid panel, you're lacking one of the 4 attachment points for each panel, making them less stable in an accident, very high wind, or similar high-stress event. This is the kind of thing I'd do around town, on the beach, but not on the highway.

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think the reason Ford won't recommend this is that the inner rear latches attach to the mid panel, and without the mid panel, you're lacking one of the 4 attachment points for each panel, making them less stable in an accident, very high wind, or similar high-stress event. This is the kind of thing I'd do around town, on the beach, but not on the highway.
We’re running the mid panel, but yes it doesn’t have all the attachment points so I agree with your point.

Ampd

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Last edited:

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We’re running the mid panel, but yes it doesn’t have all the attachment points so I agree with your point.
Thanks. I meant to respond to OP.

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Was it a 4 door? I have a 2 door. Has anyone does this with a 2 door? I would think so…?!
Waiting to hear anyone with a 2dr that’s tried this 🤔

Before I got my Sunrider I did it whenever possible. With the doors on and windows up @ 70mph+ no issues, I cant stand wind buffeting and prefer not to get baked in the sun. So for me it's perfect outside the hassle of taking the cap off and not being able to just leave it off (FL rain is a bummer). But obviously it's an at your own risk thing.

I prefer it to the Sunrider and it's quieter (for transparencys sake mines second hand and not the updated one so it makes more noise closed than open lol), but the Sunrider is so much less hassle, so for now it reluctantly wins.
Sponsored