Sponsored

Drum termination vs drum flange termination for winch synthetic rope?

Tharberats

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, 4 Door, MIC, EG
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I'm in the process of prepping my Badlands winch for install, and I removed the steel cable it came with and was prepared to install the new synthetic rope into the same drum hole with set screw. However, the drum flange has a threaded hole and the new rope came with and built for a metal anchor point to bolt into the flange. Clearly neither the set screw nor the flange could hold the 12k# the winch is rated to, hence why you have to keep multiple wraps on the drum.

Since I'm new to winching on cars, are there any pros and cons on flange vs drum termination of a rope, or are they basically the same for security. For what it's worth, the rope has instructions for both options.
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The set screw or flange simply holds the rope as a starting point for wrapping, you should be fine either way.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Flange, you want the sharp edge of the anchor away from the second wrap of the drum if possible. If not I wouldn't worry to much but I would make sure to use a button cap screw and no sharp edges.

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I prefer a drum termination, Just because it's easier to get a smooth start on your wrap than most flange terminations, But either is fine, and not to be relied for supporting any load, always keep at least three wraps around the drum under load.

*edit/add: What @Snacktime says above is valid too, If you do a drum termination, you gotta make sure there are no sharp edges on the rope swage and bolt/screw

OP
OP
Tharberats

Tharberats

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, 4 Door, MIC, EG
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks dudes. That lines up with what I was thinking, just couldn't find anything on Google about which one is preferred. Which sounds normal cause it appears to be personal preference!

And yeah, I already sanded down the drum from the residual wrapping imperfections from the steel cable and the couple of burrs around the drum termination hole.
Sponsored